IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cooking three tri tip on the Weber tomorrow. I set it up coals on one side tips on the other. I've got it fairly dialed doing one. Taking right at about 40-45 minutes on the grill and then about a 15 minute rest in foil for one. Im assuming once i pull them rest time will be the same. My question is how much longer will it take to bring to temp doing three? I've not cooked in bigger batches a lot but have run into situations with chicken when cooking a lot of quarters vs two or three that it takes a fair amount longer. Trying to land these coming off the grill and being done at the correct time. Thanks for any input.

· Registered
2,789 Posts
I've not done that large of a cook before but if you have a good instant read thermometer I would rely on it to let you know when to pull and rest. By good instant read I mean like a thermapen or equal. thermapen mk4 - Google Search
I quick cooking by time once I got one and it has made a huge difference in getting my cooks to not only a safe eating temp but the target doneness. Tri Tip medium rare as an example. Good luck on the cook.

· Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It turned out really well, I got lucky. I cook by temp but when you are trying to feed a group it's a good idea to have an idea of when your gonna eat, you want all the stuff ready to eat within the same time period. I have a instant read and a "meater" which I have actually really liked. Mainly because I can save cook's and go back to get estimated time and notes on them. My Meater hadn't charged due to bad connection on the charger, I thought well this is goign to be perfect lol. I added more charcoal than I'll do for one, and they actually ended up cooking in about the exact same time as it usually take to finish one (45ish minutes on the grill). They were just under medium rare, which is about perfect for my taste. Im pretty picky on my own cooks, all three were about as good as you can get them, I was quite pleased for a change lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.