IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about tree stand hunting Blacktail when I dont draw a Mule Deer tag. Do any of you have any information regarding types, brands, etc. Has anyone had decent success using one?

· Registered
10,361 Posts
I've used both hang on style and climbing styles. Most brands work pretty well. Tree stands work best when you can pattern the deer such as Whitetails or Blacktails. However, they can work with other species if they regularly use the same areas.

The fewer the pieces the better. Make sure you either carry extra parts or the parts can't come off. Pay attention to the seat height.

Finally, wear a safety belt and tell someone where you are going!

· Registered
1,654 Posts
I have two climbers and a hang on. I like a stand with a big platform and big comfortable seat. Hang ons take a long time (1-2 hours) to get up with all the steps and stuff, but you can put them on trees that have branches all the way up. I use mine only in spots that I feel comfortable leaving it for the season. If I was only going to have one stand it would be a big lightweight aluminum climber. Why? 1) You are very mobile, just find a straight tree and climb 2) They are safer than hang ons because you don't have to climb the tree using steps/branches and then climb into your stand. 3) They are less intrusive if you find a spot to hunt mid season. 4) You can hunt multiple areas with the same stand (I hunted in 3 different areas out east this year with the same stand). 5) my climbers both have safety rails, a nice feature if you accidently fall asleep. 6) Most climbers are very comfortable, I can sit longer than in my hang on.

I bought my climbers on ebay for cheap like $100 for the good one (new) and $30 for the small one (used) +$15-20 shipping. My hang on is from cabelas and it was around $150. My big climber has a strap made out of heavy car belt material, I like it better than the plastic coated wire that some other brands use.

· Registered
8,861 Posts
Are you talking about Archery or Rifle ?

The one thing I try to consider with an Archery stand is Clearance for my bow. Can you stand up and shoot without the guard rail getting in the way ?

· Registered
286 Posts
I would have to agree that a big platform and seat are worth the little extra wieght. Climbers are the most versatile but in some areas they are practicly useless. Hang ons are nice if you have a spot you can just leave it. Then you are able to just sneak right up into the tree with minimal noise.
The key to treestands is setting up in a spot that you are hunting the most deer possible.(lots of trails)
We use a climber and I love it when there aren't to many branches. Our baby gorilla hang on stands are nice for minimal noise but are to small of a platform and seat.

SIZE MATTERS! :cheers:

· Registered
4,944 Posts
I have hang-ons and climbers, and I agree that the climbers feel safer. Hang-ons are nice and light, though. One thing with Balcktails is to keep the area sent-free, like you would if you were trapping coyotes or foxes. Wear rubber gloves and boots and don't touch anything with bare hands. Obviously, don't spit or pee anywhere near your stand. I am going to start experimenting with ladder stands, as I have never tried them. You might not need this perfect, strait, limbless tree (that doesn't exist out west- he he),plus it may be easier to get in and out of? They are heavy, too, but I would make it semi-permanent for most of the season. Anyone with advise on ladders? I was going to get a tall, roomy one and try to make/keep it sent-free.

· Registered
525 Posts
I have taken Blacktail from tree stands during both rifle and Bow seasons.I have had several different types but I preffer the climber. Some of the things I learned include what already has been talked about staying scent free etc. I think most important is feeling safe and comfortable for me. I have two climbers right now, one is very stable and comfortable but is not so quite and easy to put on the tree. The other is fairly comfortable but is quik and quiet to get on and up the tree. Make sure the platform is big enough for you. The base should be long enough for your legs to be comfortable in a sitting position. A safety rail is nice too especially for use when rifle hunting for a rest but I take mine off when bow hunting. Always , always use a safety belt while climbing and while in the tree. I use to not use it till I got up and ready but I have had some close calls :shocked: so I ALWAYS use mine now. Some tree stands will come with a belt but make sure it is a harness not just a single belt that loops around your waist unless you want to hang off the side of the tree with your guts strangulated :tongue: I sarted off with one of the old "Baker" climbers and it only had a round grooved bar to sit on. Also if your stand ( climber) has " V " attachments that adjust to the tree with bolts or wing nuts that hold it together, make sure to carry extras! I was stranded in a tree in Arkansas when I dropped one of the wingnuts trying to readjust it :blush: I don't believe they make them like that anymore though. Once you get your stand get use to it . Stand, turn, sit, check how your safety belt hangs, check for any noises that it makes when doing any of this . Practice SHOOTING from your stand! Your arrow will hit differently shooting down than it does from a level point. When you climb your tree it is important to set it up so you have your shooting lanes covered from the position of the stand in the tree. When sitting and you are a right handed shooter you will be shooting from directly in fron of you to far around to the LEFT. Anything else you would have to stand for. That is if you can do this without spooking the prey. I learn something every time I go up I think. Hope you find one that works for you, I love tree stand hunting!

· Registered
86 Posts
I just recieved my 15' Pine Ridge ladder stand from Cabelas,using some of my pts.,didn't cost anything.BUT $74.99 with full body harness and a knife,is a great deal.Hunting blacktail this stand would be great.45# and easy to use.Check it out.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Another tip for using tree stands. Most stands are made out of tubed aluminum or steel. This is very noisy if you bump it. To help solve this problem I took a can of expanding spray foam (ie. great stuff) and filled in all hollow and 3 sided tubes. It makes the accidental bumps much quieter.

· Registered
6,708 Posts
Get a big platform and seat. Use climbing sticks. You can hang it and then camo it to hide it, lock it up and take the sticks away when your done using it. I would go nuts if I couldnt climb in and out of the stand quitely during the time that I use the stand. It is realy fun to use during my annaul 7 day bow hunting extravaganza I use it to save my legs in between ground hunts for elk. It is also very cool platform for calling , photo and just watching wild life. Last year I saw a tattel tail squrill get his up and comings from a owl . snached him off the tree as he was chattering at me :smash:

· Registered
14,116 Posts
Limbhanger,
I've got an API GS Magnum and love it. I like the wider seat of the Magnum. It's fairly quiet, but I still prefer my fixed stands w/ screw in steps up top w/ removable quick steps at the bottom. My fixed stands are designed out of a pallet. Very inexpensive, super strong, and semi permanent.... Just heavy. I truck'em in during pre-scouting and leave'em up all season. Perfect for those little "out of the way" spots off powerline roads. I use a cheap $10 camp chair w/ it and just leave the chair in it's sack & up in the stand. Very comfortable. And they weather nicely and become nearly invisiable. They would be perfect for private land situations.
Hunt'nFish

· Registered
3,061 Posts
I've got one of each: climber, fixed and ladder. Each has their place, and it depends on what you want or need them to do. Personally, I would leave the ladder stand behind unless you or someone else using it has mobility issues. Ladder stands are the easiest to climb into, which is why I bought one for my dad.

If you're trying to hunt from trees with lots of branches, a climber will be a pain. Otherwise it can be very handy for changing positions. If you've got to deal with lots of branches, and/or you want to place a stand in a tree and leave it, the fixed position stand is a good choice. Either way could work based on an evaluation of your needs.

If you get real serious about treestand hunting, you'll eventually need at least one of each. :tongue:

Ni!

· Registered
8,641 Posts
Can I ask you tree stand guys a couple of questions because I really think it is the best way to hunt for deer.

Question number one do you guys take a book to read?
What kind of saftey harness do you use. Is there are really good one that you would recomend over another one.

My question on the book is I have tried it before and I really saw quite a few deer but I get bored out of my mind. Do you guys stay all day?

I think tree stands are little over looked out here in the West. Boyd Iverson uses them and he has a number of trophies to show for it ok alot more than me :grin:. Do you use mutiple sites or several tree stands?

Thanks

· Registered
14,116 Posts
Yep, Boyd is THE reason I started treestand hunting old growth trails. No books for me, I just catch some shut eye.

As far as safety harnesses go, a simple belt style is NOT good enough. The 5-pt harnesses are a must. Just watch the sales and coupons. Remember if it ain't comfortable, you won't wear it.... and you NEED to wear it. Better chance of dieing from a fall than getting shot.

I agree with ehunter, no stand is perfect. Personally I'd start w/ a couple wide platform hanging style stands and screw in steps and go from there. But I do like my climber for evening hunting unfamiliar area's were I can set up mid day and kick back for a siesta and let the woods go quiet before the evening traffic starts moving.
Hunt'nFish

· Registered
8,641 Posts
[email protected] my brother has used his stand a lot it is a climber I think it's a tree lounge he is so comfotable all he does is fall alseep and snore :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seriously twice I have made mini drives to him and he is asleep. :hoboy:

How high are you getting for bow hunting I know I will have to do some praticing from it before hand.

Thanks guys I may have to make a little investment this year I like his lounge stand. But he uses it for rifle I will have to try it out to see how I can shoot a bow for it.

· Registered
6,595 Posts
I have a climber and love it. Sometimes you get up and find there is a better spot and with a climber you can move rather quickly. It gives you an ab workout as well.

Ehunter, I brought a poker book up during elk season this year :smile:

· Registered
8,861 Posts
I have two tree stands. I haven't actually sat in one yet during a hunt because I haven't found a place to put them yet. Blacktails are wierd Deer. Finding a trail the use regularily isn't easy.

Recently I found an area I would like to try but I guess I'll have to wait till next year. or just take some pictures. The problem of being bored is another issue with me. I have thought about maybe doing some witeling with my pocket knife.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.