IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have noticed that very few of the wobblers (Brad's, Alvins, K's, 10-spots, etc) have treble hooks. Is there a reason for this? Would swapping a treble hook ruin the action or something? Am just curious what the benefit of the single hook is.

TIA!

WLW

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
It lowers the possibility of foul hooking them. On Alvins, I've only foul hooked fish with trebles, with the exception of only one fish, and only fair hooked with si-wash hooks.

SKP

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It doesn't ruin the action - actually can help in faster water.... at the start of the tide i usualy go w/ the snell and as it speeds up switch to a treb to slow the alvin down....

Note: this coincides w/ tuning the alvin as it the water speed increases/decreases

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
I suspect the true 'reason'behind the OEM single hooks is that it's _cheaper_ for the manufacturer.

One exception is the Simon, mine came with a decent treble, _plus_ a hook bonnet.

Most of time you're struggling to dampen the wobbler's wild action, and switching to trebles helps you accomplish that.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Fished a brad's today with the siwash, sharpened but other wise right out of the box (scented). Two 30lb URBs were hooked clear thru the chin.

I think the siwash actually hooks better than a treble, especially on long dropbacks, because you are only trying to drive one hook through that big head instead of three.

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
I like a siwash hook better because, like crabbait, I think it's easier to drive home one hook rather than 3! So being fairly new to the salmon/steelhead scene, I have a question for you experts out there. Say you didn't like the action on your wobbler and you wanted to dampen it a bit in some ripping current without switching to a trebble, how would you do that? Would you actually have to bend the wobbler itself till it worked like you wanted it to? Just curious....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm a Siwash believer!

A fishing buddy told me years ago when the Alvins were just getting popular, "You hook more fish with a treble, but you land more fish with a siwash!".

·
Registered
382 Posts
I to am a Siwash believer, Last year I bought a new rainbow Alvin (actually a Brads) I was in a hurry to get it in the water so I didn't take the time to change the hook out with an Owner treble, (we usually change out the hooks on all our wobblers)..Well first thing you know 36 Lbs chrome URB in the box...OK It worked once! lets see if it will work again...to make a long story short 15 URBs later Im afraid to change the hook...all take downs stick and I have not lost one fish with the Siwash.

We do get lots of fish with the trebles also..but we do lose one now and then getting them to the boat. So far all the fish hooked with the siwash are hooked for keeps...they go in the box.

Last night I had my prize rainbow wobbler out thinking about putting a better quality siwash hook on it but Im still afraid to change it. I would hate to have it stop catching fish....you know the old saying.. If it's not broke don't fix it.. Wright Angle

[ 09-11-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's not the treble but the barrel or bead swivel which allows the treble to sit deeper into mouth when the monster hits your pretty little lure...I have (knock on wood) not lost a fish with my three bead and treble set up of the alvin/wobbler....last week three hours after work, three in the boat...Last night two hours after work, two fish....pattern?? I think maybe......lololl

·
Registered
382 Posts
We drop all our treble hooks back with a swivel and split rings, It does seem to help. See Pic.

I have at least 30 genuine Alvin/brads and 80% are set up with the treble and drop back swivel.

We even tried our hand at making some of our own wobblers. The pic shows three of our home made wobblers..All are .030 thick, the one is brass and the other two are 316 stainless. You will notice on the one stainless wobbler that I didn't punch the letter A I thought it might make a differance on how it wobbles but it doesn't. The homemade wobblers work just fine. The bottom Pic is a 316 stainless that I didn't polish, I just put tape on instead, notice the W for Wright Angle :grin:

[ 09-11-2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
WOW! :shocked:

The secrets out now.

Man, those are some classy looking wobblers WrightAngle. That one marked with 'W' and taped in a chevron design is definitely best-in-show. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well Garyk, Im not sure about it being secrets out but the homemade wobblers are fun to make, the pictures don't do them justice. When I make them out of polished stainless they are hard to tell from genuine Alvins and they stay polished. The brass and the non-polished stainless work well on overcast days. Someday Im going to make some out of copper..

It's great to get fish on tackle that you made yourself.

The last time I made a run I did 25 brass and 30 stainless. between my fishing bud and I if you count all are genuine Alvin-Brads plus are homemade wobblers we have over 100 but we just keep buying them for some reason.. My fishing bud and I just can't go in to a tackle store without buying some Alvins or Brads ..I think it's a sickness..LOL...in the spring it's the same sickness but the cure is Kwikfish instead of wobblers.. Oh and my buddy has the illness way worse then I do. LOL. I can resist sometimes.

We have had good luck making some other wobblers, smaller Alivns and also (Clancys) big and small but this should all be in a different thread...Wright Angle

[ 09-11-2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
382 Posts
This whole hook thing make me wonder what we are all thinking, in the spring we buy Kwikfish with trebles hook on them and change them the Siwash and in the fall we buy Wobblers that come with Siwash and change them to trebles...go figure..You would think the tackle manufacture would get it right some of the time...hmmm

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wright Angle-beautiful wobblers-I haven't tried that color combination. As Wetduck said, the swivel is the key as it allows the hook to turn in the fishes mouth upon the strike. Try this-take a wobbler set up with a swivel rigged treble and drag the hook between the web of your thumb and index finger simulating a strike. What you will see is that the hook turns automatically every time into the web and bingo nice hook up.

TD

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
WrightAngle, I understand what you mean about the fun of catching fish on gear you've contructed. For me half the fun of flyfishing is the flytying. Constantly trying new patterns or trying to improve the standard ones. It looks like you've taken flytying into the metal shop.

Is .030 a heavier guage than the what Alvin/Brad use? I could see using something heavier in the faster running currents that develop down your way.

Have you tried anything in copper color yet?

On trebles v. siwash, I think it comes to what works for you.

For me personally, especially at times when we're getting light hits, I have more confidence in honed, Owner 1/0 and 2/0 trebles. They just stick to the fish and improve your chances (IMHO).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Garyk, the stock I use to make the wobblers is actually 24 gauge sheet metal and the true thickness is 0.0276" it is the same as a Brads but thicker by 0.0016 then a genuine Alvin...One day I need to get out my electronic powder scales and see what each one weighs.

I have thought about using 22 gauge 0.0336 but they might weigh to much..or they might work great in the fast water. who knows? I need to try it. They will be harder for me to cut out!

I believe that the Brads and Alvins are plated so who knows what their starting stock thickness is? I know mine are as thick as Brads and thicker then Alvins..

I have not tried copper yet but Im going to..maybe this winter if I can find the time..

I have been tying flies most of my life, my dad was a fly fisherman so I have been tying sense about 1963 or so. I don't fly fish much anymore so I have not even seen my fly vice or materials for 15 years, the last time I saw them they were in the attic and most of it was very moth eaten.. tying was very enjoyable when I was younger...Wright Angle

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What would the advantage be of running a 1/0 treble vs a 2/0 treble in the CR and vice versa? Just wondering if running too big a hook(2/0) would prevent smaller fish from taking it into their mouth where a smaller hook (1/0) woulda hooked it?

StinkyH (newbie)

[ 09-12-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts