IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a traveling rod to take up to Alaska with me this summer. I don't know what I want to take up there with me though. I will be fishing a good size creek when I can for pinks, chums and late Chinooks.
3 years ago I used my 6wt two piece rod and had no problem but the airlines put my rod on the wrong plane and I hate worrying about were my 200 dollar fly rod is.
So what to get what to get? I wanna fly fish but I wanna fish with a baitcaster. I'm thinking more go with a fly rod but who knows. The real problem that I'm having is I don't know anyone with a traveling rod for salmon or steelhead. So I don't know how a 3 or 4 piece rod will handle up to a salmon.
A loomis or Lamiglas rod would be nice but I have no idea on what to get.
Anyone know of a good 4 piece fly rod for salmon? I want to take this rod as my carry on so that's why I want a 4 piece rod.
Now I want to spend some money on the fly rod. But is there a cheap bait or spin cast salmon rod out there for under a 100 bucks?

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
My dad has a steelhead fly/spinning rod. It's a four piece, and depending on what order you screw the handle components together you can make it either a fly or spinning rod. I doubt it's the best fly rod around because it's multipurpose, but it's something to consider I would think. I'm sure there's a heavier and higher quality version out there. I'll check brand and that business when I get home tomorrow for you. Tight Lines.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Sportsmans Warehouse has some rod cases which are padded inside and hard plastic on the outside. Should work for airline travel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use a Lamiglass jtt904. Light, but nice. Handled pinks pretty well in BC last year. Got into hundreds over a couple of days. Go to their link and look at the Teeny selections. Looks like you could go heavier. Mine has gone with me quite a bit since I got it last year. Wish you luck, take lots of pics.

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
It's Saturday morning. I saw "Traveling Rod" ... but he amphibian core of my brain stem took me back to early childhood and I thought "Ramblin' Rod". Hmmm. More coffee. More Sponge Bob.

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
depending on where you're going and how soon, you could always fedex your gear ahead of you to meet you there. it's a little pricey but you pay for peace of mind.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Scott used to make 5 piece rods. I have a 5wgt 8'4" 5 piece that travels very well in my carry on luggage. I know they make this rod in a 4 wgt also and they may have them in a 6. I've always been happy with my Scotts and they have an incredible gaurantee policy. JMHO

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I would like to get a 4wt but that will come later in my days when I get back to trout fishing. So what I need is a 8wt or 9wt rod for salmon and steelhead.
Also, does FM, Joes or bi-mart sell any cheap ($100 or less) 3-4 pc spin or casting traveling rod for salmon/steelhead? Don't care if its a spin or casting rod, I just want a cheap one for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts