IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how the fishin' is in the Trask or the Tillamook rivers????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BOBBER DOWN!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
Those are zipper rivers, nobody knows...
Better e-mail ******.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have been fishing the lower Trask tide water area. Fish appear to be moving in due to the big tides but not biting. Yesterday only observed three jacks caught and one large dark Chinook buck, which was released.

Will give it another try taday.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Fish the oyster house area Sunday. Good bite in the morning on the out going and slack pulling spinners. Fished the Tillamook during the last half of the incomeing tide kwik fish. Got one and lost one.
The good bite was at high slack out at cap johns pulling spinners.

We ending the day 5 for 9. Took home 35 pounder with some color and a 30 hen CHROME BRIGHT fresh in on that tide and a 15 coho, 2 wild coho released.

Not to bad of a day.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I knew we should've went back there Sunday!!!!!

My wife told me to, and I picked the CR instead :rolleyes:

TR

[ 09-30-2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: TheRogue ]

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
You Like that report purple pants? :grin: The run in those two rivers is basically over, No fish in there in october or november.. Now I heard big creek has a great run of fall chinook though :wink:

G

·
Ryan,

Got your email. Also for you Roger Neutron :wink:

Bank or boat, here are some basics.

o For me, the best time is the last two hours of the outgoing, low slack and the first few hours of the incoming. You will catch fish at other times, but this is the "bite window" in my opinion. If this happens in the early morning, even better, but anytime in daylight hours is what I shoot for.

o One ounce of weight, under an adjustable depth, "slip bobber." 40 pound leader (I use 4 feet,) 5/0 or 6/0 single hook tied with an eggloop, with a single piece of yarn (chartuese is my favorite) tied around the leader at the top of the eye of the hook or tied into the egg loop. This adds an attractant, holds scents and hangs up better in their mouth for a better chance at a total "bobber down." (Search IFISH)

o Make sure your "bobber knot" is very tight, so it will take the bobber down and not slip through the bobber, missing that take down. :depressed: Critical to check this often. Tie your own. Simple knot. I use 20 or 30 dacron. Many other bobber knot methods and ways. (Search IFISH) Tight is the key.

o Find the bottom. Adjust your depth until your bobber is sideways on top. Make minor adjustments until the bobber just does float, without hanging up. Come up two feet and fish. Fish here first. Keep adjusting up a couple of feet, if no action, until you get into fish or until you can get away from the dang bullheads. Sometimes you can't get away from this lowest of good egg eating lifeforms. :shocked:

o I use both an egg and shrimp "Tillamook Cocktail." I've caught fish with just one or the other, but overall, this has been the best, if you have them or can afford them. I also use fairly big baits. A nice big hen as one of the first fish always helps here. :grin: Marie's business will be good, in any case.

o Use as small of a bobber that you can, that will still sit up and float your bait. Trust me on this one. (No one will call you a flatlander either :smile: )

o Best scents for me has been something salt, with shrimp, egg, anchovy, tuna. A million out there, a million opinions. Whatever masks the human scent.

o Some will tell you to set the hook on every little wiggle or you will be missing fish. I lean towards a complete bobber down myself. After a while you can tell the difference, but sometimes even a dang bullhead can pull it all the way down and sometimes, even a big Chinook just twitches it. If it's down and scooting sideway, SET THE HOOK. :cool:

Hopefully this helps as a start and will begin a zillion other replies and ideas. I loved what you said in your email Ryan about "giving up" the "other" way to fish tidewater. I wish you great success this year and will hopefully see you out there.

Bobber fishing is good anywhere you can get access from the top of the bay well up into the head of tidewater.

Rick

[ 09-30-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
******,what do you think of a double hook set up? Bait on the top hook and just let the bottom hook dangle free.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Nice post ****** :cool:

Thanks for sharing

For all of you who haven't tried this technique; your missing out on the best fishing there is.

Bobby
]

[ 10-01-2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: big n bright ]

G

·
I think one is enough and it helps remove any additional chance of a fouled hook in the fish.

It does happen bobber fishing, but the ratio is a mute point compared to some other methods.

I agree BNB. The "purest" form of fun and one on one in close quarters. Bluegill fishing for monsters :grin:

Rick

[ 09-30-2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

G

·
You guys listen to ******! He knows his stuff down there in tidewater.
Nothing like netting a hot fish huh Rick? :shocked:

[ 09-30-2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your post was perfectly timed! I just decided about 10 minutes ago that I would try fishin the Trask. I have bobber fished before and I love it. My experience is that it is peaceful, easy, and seeing the bobber go down is second to none. I have a 14' skiff w/ a 15hp johnson. I think this will be perfect. Now for the questions.
Any suggestions on where to launch?
Do you ever fish closer than 2 feet off bottom?
Will 25lb mainline be enough?
Is a toughline mainline useable for bobber fishin?

Thank you for the great post and any suggestions.

SOB

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Originally posted by Scared of Bears:
My experience is that it is peaceful, easy,
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ummm.... you haven't fished the t-bay rivers in the fall much have you? :shocked: :whazzup:
:hoboy: :shrug:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nope......just the upper Sandy R.......all alone.......bobber down.... springer on! :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Scared of Bears,

25 or 30 mono will work but 65 Power Pro or TUF line works best(no streach and it floats, it's about as thick as 20# mono)

For launching use the 5th St ramp at the end of 5th in Tillamook.

G

·
Originally posted by FishinMission:

:bowdown:

Mark
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">HEY, you're in my hole! (and my boat too :grin: ) Little tidewater return of kindness for Spanky times. :wink:

Hereby take the 5th on the corkies deal, unless you foul hook a bunch of fish next to me with it. If spin n glos will turn, they will get hit in the beak. :smile:

Don't be afraid of this Bear, Scared of Bears. I use 50 Tuff and 40 Maxima for leader. A lot of guys even go 80 and 50, for tighter quarters and the 80 is even better for learning to manage close quarters fishing. 25 is not enough for tight quarters, which most good spots mainly are. Typically you will have the drag nailed down, trying to keep them close. Tuff is great for bobber fishing. Sometimes it's not peaceful and/or calm at all, but it should be. I start at the bottom and come up two feet at a time, until I find fish. 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 to 18 feet alot.
Depends on the depth of the hole. Watch where people are set catching fish and most will even tell you.

Tidewater access is 101, 5th Street and Melamouse in that order, head of tidewater to
the head of the Bay.

Now Git' Outta' My Spot, Get Bent. :laugh: :wink:
How has the Bay Spinner show been going?

Rick

[ 09-30-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
There are no salmon in either of these rivers.. Go fish the salmon river or pc..

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Originally posted by willametteriveroutlaw:
There are no salmon in either of these rivers.. Go fish the salmon river or pc..
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts