IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I departed at Oh-Dark-Thirty so I could be ready to fish 30 minutes before sunrise on Trask tidewater on Saturday morning. I figured this had to finally be the day. It was the middle of October. It had rained in the previous couple of days. Dawn coincided with the last hour before low tide. The barometer on Jenny's graph was rising.

When I arrived at the ramp above 101 I was surprised there were no other fishers there. There were also no fish. No biters. No Rollers.

So I headed up to Loren's Drift. There were lots of cars there and about 18 guys fishing the hole. Mostly bobbers, with about three corkie guys at the bottom. There had been a couple of fish caught, but the one I saw looked a little dark.

Rather than join the crowed I rigged my fly rod and headed to the shallower water above the hole. Fished it for about an hour and only saw one fish move through.

Drove to the Kilchis at the logging bridge. A drift boat was just departing and they said they saw a couple of fish in that hole, maybe steelhead, maybe early chum. I fished that with the fly rod for about half hour and never saw the fish.

Returned to Portland via the N.Fork Nehalem and tried the hole down the steep bank near MP 10 because I saw several cars there. Three guys fishing (one casting spinners and two plunking eggs). There was no action and they soon left. I tried bobber/eggs/shrimp, then cast a rainbow spinner, but no action. There were a few fish rolling in the hole.

That's all there is, there is no more. Take your partner off the floor.

TC

Oops, forgot to mention the Miami. I saw a couple of rigs parked at the 101 bridge as I drove by. There was one guy bobber fishing just above the bridge. The other rig was just checking out the (in)action, just like me. This was about 11 a.m. and the guy fishing had seen no fish.

There were also several million boats in the bay, near the highway just south of Garibaldi (which probably is an "official" named hole), but I did not see any nets out as I drove by.

Don't seem to be many fish for Tillamook in October!

[ 10-13-2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: TillamookChinook ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
We also hit the T-Bay hard Saturday, mostly by the Spurce Hole on the Trask channel. There were three of us on the hole and a couple guys fihing the bank (most know that farmer as it is private land). Only four fish netted, all on bobbers using eggs with fresh tuna or sandshrimp. The Wilson was dead.
Sunday is when the Spruce hole on the Trask really sparked up with a very active low slack bite. And Memmaloose between the boat ramp and the oyster house in the high tide as long as there was good current. You could back bounce eggs or even Kwiks if you had sardine wraps...

[ 10-13-2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: LazerFisher ]

G

·
Several million boats in T-Bay? I think you're exaggerating a bit TC. I doubt there was over 350,000 today.
Lotsa boats :shocked:

[ 10-13-2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts