IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent fished this stretch of the Clackamas since the passing af a very good friend and fishing partner. Today my job took me within 1/4 mile so i decided to go for a hike. from up on top i was pretty excited about the number of fish that i saw jumping in several of the holes. After reaching the bottom my excitement was over taken with the feelings of being ashamed and discussed with the amount of trash that fisherman have left behind. If people can pack it in why cant they pack it out, I mean the bait containers are empty when you leave thus that much lighter. If people would open there new lures, hooks, bobbers etc. etc. etc. at home there would be no need to throw these wrappers on the ground. Again I was in total Awe of the qty. of trash and Iam very suprised that they (whoever owns the property) even alows people to have access. If you fish there its all yours I will stick to fishing the cleaner parts of the river.
Thanks for the rivermill landfill.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Yeah, it can get pretty bad down there sometimes. I usually fish Rivermill in the Summer cause I'm home from school and my buddy works right there at the Forest Service in the summer. I try to pack out as much as I can carry. You did pick up what you could carry out, right? The way I see it, is that, sure there's a lot of people that don't take care of the resource and the number is growing everyday, but I can't help that. So, those of us out there that do take care of the resource need to step it up in order to make up the difference. Carrying out more trash than you came in with is just one way to do this. Sometimes, when I start pickin' up the trash just before I leave, other's will grab some too. And you never know, the guy next to you might not pick up any trash that day, but just seeing you do it may cause him to at least carry his out.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Steel22. I am with you. When I go to RiverMill, I pack a full garbage bag with me. Why? For me. It is the only way I can deal with it. I feel worse walking out not doing anything. So, I just bring a bag, claim my rock, pick up trash for 10 minutes, fish and then pack it out.

If I am not up to doing that - I go somewhere else. As a rule, I carry at least a grocery trash bag whereever I go and unfortunately I usually have no problem filling it up.

Stinky fish, thanks for pointing out a problem. I am not saying my way is for everybody - but we all need to find someway to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
i was up there two weeks ago and the trash was already getting bad. one thing i didn't seem to have recalled from previous years was the stink and it wasn't really from fish guts cause the fishing wasn't that hot. seems like along with all those bait containers was a lot of unused bait laying out there in the hot sun. wee doggie! it was almost like walking up on roadkill. anyone up for an ifish cleanup up there? i wanted to do the cedar creek cleanup (even though i haven't fished there this year) but i've got family in from out of town.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think that all of us who care, even just a little, are starting to realize that the solution starts with me.

If individuals would adopt a stretch of river, carry a trash bag with them, and organize occasional work parties, we might be able to keep up with the mess that the scrotes with a fishing rod (I refuse to call them anglers)leave for the rest of us.

At least thats the conclusion I've come to in regards to Cedar Creek. I challenge all the iFishers out there to do likewise. After all, nobody else is going to do it.

Now for the shameless plug :grin: : Consider joining your local chapter of ANWS. It is the perfect vehicle to make these kinds of projects a reality!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
We know what you mean. :depressed: I was fishing at Carver area during the heat wave and saw all the trash at the "Carver swimming hole". Got my wife to bring down my Boy Scout and we picked up trash and cans/bottles. Next day I got my Cub Scout out and we did the same. Unbelievable amount of trash :mad: and returnable containers, but the money from the returnables gave them some incentive. Third day I took them both down there and got twice the trash but someone had picked up all the cans and bottles (but only the returnable cans and bottles). We can't believe how some people leave the banks of a beautiful river looking like a garbage dump.

If you pack it in, PACK IT OUT!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
As important as nailing poachers is, I'd really like to see the State Police start nailing these pigs with $500 littering fines. Local deputies could do it too, as it's a criminal infraction and not a game law violation.

·
Banned
553 Posts
I'm with you Garyk... the state/county or whomever writes these citations could make bank! At the same time, those people that get cited are more than likely not going to do it again... little wake-up call or somethin'. I dont always have enough room to pack out what I pick up (North Santiam areas) so what I can not carry, I put in a pile at the head of a trail. I have done that in several spots now, usually the next time down to those spots the trash is either gone or in one spot to be picked up.

I do like the citation method.....
KC

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i've been known to pack out other folks <stuff> but i won't pack out someone's else shrimp container that smells like <stuff> . yes you bobber guys. have a nice day. shrimp <stuff> tail anyone. smells like you know. <stuff?>

[ 06-14-2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
sorry greenbuttskunk, but i just can't advocate your idea (as much as the slime deserve it). it still amounts to shooting people and could result in a fine or worse if these slobs go to the cops with "their story".

it's easy. take some of those plastic grocery store bags with you when you head out. fill 'em up when you're there and drop 'em in the can on the way out. if you're really industrious, take 'em home and throw 'em in your own can. a lot of these places are state parks; these places have to be hurting for funds as much as any other group in the northwest these days. trash disposal has to be a big part of their budgets.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I was down there Fri night and i saw one of the coolest things. A father had taken his son fishing and before they left the father had the son fill a trash bag full of the stuff before they left. I was very impressed. I wish i would have said thanks or something. I hope some of the offenders saw this. I am still debating with myself whether us cleaning up after litterers actually enables the slobs.

P.s. the fishing was real slow (not many people fishing either was a bad sign). I did see one fish taken on the Mciver bobber side. The fish checker said it has been real slow lately.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the past week I had to deal with two goslings with fishing line down their throats and wrapped around them..really sad and bothers me. I think one of them survived.

[ 06-18-2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts