IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my current winch has cable on it. the problems i have with it are the memory that the cable builds up over time, cable splinters as the individual fibers in the cable break and that if the cable ever breaks under tension it's pretty dangerous. i bought a winch strap and was about to install it when i read in the literature that it needs to be stored in a cool, dry place. my boat sits outside 24x7, which definitely isn't dry. my hold down strap is of roughly the same material and has mold on it, which i'm sure is weakening the strength.

so what do you have on your trailer and, given your experience, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
If you use nylon you should be ok. Keep an eye on it. It should last many years. The one on my trailer is 7 years old and still in great shape. I do keep my boat stored in doors. You could always make a cover for it. I say go with the nylon,

just my 2 cents
Small Fry

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I have the 2" wide nylon strap on my winch. I store my boat outside as well. 3rd season and it looks just fine. At least the last 2 feet of it do. Never looked at the part underneath. The advantages of a jet boat and a trailer with bunks. Just power on and off. Winch strap just cinches it down before applying the safety chain.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I've had straps on various boats for over 20 years. They are much superior to cable. I have not had, nor heard of any problems with degradation in weather.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Strap is the way to go dude.
If it doesn't sit in the reel right. Pull out and just fixit when your home.
easy.
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I vote for the strap. Mine is 3+ years old and still just fine. Stored outside and hasn't seemed to weather.

SD

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Strap on. Cable off.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Definitely the strap!! Last boat I owned used the same strap for 7 years & was stored outdoor. I would periodically pull the strap out on dry days and let it dry out, no problems. :dance:

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Strap action, most definitely. :cool:
A couple of times a year I'll unspool most of mine to take a look at it. It's stored outdoors, but under a carport. I wouldn't pay much attention to the warning. Just replace it every 5 years or so. It's cheap. :smile:

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I am thinking the strap is the way to go.. I have one and have never had a problem. I have a sled with bunks and only use the last two feet...

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Usually the contrarian, I am afraid that this time I have to agree. For a larger boat the strap is best. I can ghet more winching distance with a cable so that is what I use on my drift boat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine had a cable on it and I repaced it twice nothing but problems. Went to a strap like it much better. Had to drill a hole in my winch close to the drum thru both sides. Used a 25ft strap. I did add another tie down to my bow. The price of the strap makes it easy enough to replace once every two years.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Actually I have broken two straps. O.K., so you pull out another foot of strap and re-tie. Elapsed time two minutes. On smaller boats, say drift boats and slightly larger I would vote for a nylon strap. If you are hauling a 20'+, multi-thousand pound sled I would use cable.

edsr

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Couldn't disagree more EDSR..... How you broke two straps, I can't imagine, unless they were 20 years old and sittin' in the rain the whole time.

Strap.... Definitely! Replace it every 5 years (for a nominal price) and never worry again. Just my .02!

Tim :grin:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Strap! Safer, Looks usually tell you when it is time to replace.

Cables seem to break for less than obvious reasons. IMHO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts