IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of rust starting up on my painted DB trailer. Want to nip that in the bud. What's the best product for a little touch up. Was looking at the rust fighting spray paints. Anybody had any expirence with these? Is one brand superior?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
there is a product out that can be had at any paint store. I forget the name of it but there are several brands. It reverses the rust process and turns rusty scale into a hard black surface that can be painted over. I used this on a trailer I had in Alaska that was severely rusted and stopped the process. It works!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think what he is talking about its called Navel Jelly... by all means use gloves, but it works well....good luck

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I think what Capt Hook is talking about is Extend (or Xtend) made by Permatex under it's Duro label. If I remember right, anyway.

Auto parts stores have it as well.

Here's a link to the industrial version:

Rust treatment

[ 09-28-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
688 Posts
There are several types of rust "killer'. I've tried Ospho a greenish liquid that can be appiled with a brush those cheap China hair bristle type, or put it in a spray bottle and spray application is easy. Wipe off the excess on paint or paint and prime first, on metal showing. If you use a oil based primer and then brush on paint and do two coats w/light sand in between u will get better results. If u are doing the underside of the tubing get the trailer up off the ground if you can by parking it on a ramp or blocks or something. Also there is "Rust Mort" available at Carquest, Napa I believe or a place that has auto body ingredients. Apply like Ospho it's a liquid and strong like we like. :tongue:
Good luck and "kill the rust". "Happiness is a bent rod"Chillyone..... :smile:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've heard something called Hammerite (sp) is supposed to work, but I haven't tried it. My trailer is years beyond rusty!! :depressed:

·
Registered
370 Posts
"Extend". It is a product that is actually made for painting off shore oil rig pipe. Loctite used to make it. A good auto parts house should have it. It can be painted over rust, but I would do a good prep job before painting anyway. It is a true sealer. It doesn't breath and absorb moisture like most paints do. Hammerite is a good product to use. It is actually an epoxy base, not an enamel, so it also is a true sealer.
Whenever I build a new trailer or do a repair for someone, those are the products I use.
Hope that helps ya.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
JP,
Do you repair driftboat trailers? I have a broken rollerbar on my old Alumaweld trailer. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Howdy Rags. Haven't seen ya in quite a while. Yes I will fix trailers. I just don't make a big deal bout it because it's not my main business. I'm always willing to help a fellow IFISHER.
Please e-mail me direct with specifics of what's broke, and what you need done. As I work in the shop for Sportsmans Warehouse now, I really have to schedual my home shop time, but will be glad to do so for you.
Hollar at me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts