IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trailer lights on my Rougue trialer are always getting water into them, does any one have any suggestions for a good Submersible light kit? What kind would/do you use? My trialer is new this year, but I have had the replace the lights 4-5 times already. :mad:

-Sean

·
Administrator
41,347 Posts
WestBar and Peterson both make submersible lights. The Westbar ones seal the bulbs inside and air bubble that keeps cold water away from the hot bulb. I put a set on my trailer 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since. They are available at several retailers in the Portland area. Let me know if you need help finding them.

K

·
0 Posts
You might look into LED lights. I don't have any experience with them but I will be checking them out to replace Nerta's lights on his 2 year old trailer.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
The other option is to make sure you have drain holes in the lights, seat the bulbs with electrical grease and unplug them when you are in the ready area. The way I remember to plug them back in is to have a pigtail between the trailer and the truck. Unplug the pigtail and set it on the seat next to the driver or hang it on the steering wheel. Hard to forget to plug in the lights that way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete,

The lights from WestBar look very nice. I would like to keep the water out completely and it looks like they would do a great job. What store did you pick your up at? Thanks for the reply.

6horse

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had very poor luck with the sealed capsule type bulbs on my ez-loader trailer. Have had my boat for about 5 years now and bet I have replaced them half a dozen times. Pain in the arse due to the fact that you have to disassemble the whole unit to replace the capsule. What ultimately happened was when the nut got enough corrosion on it the carriage type bolt that stops in the plastic slot wallowed it out and just spun out. Not stainless hardware, just that zinc coated stuff. I fixed it good with my sawsall!

About a month ago I spent 50 bucks and ordered submersible led 3 x 8 replacement lights from bass pro shops that I was able to get to fit. These had stainless hardware. Took a bit of manipulation as the slots on the lights and the mounting holes did not match up exactly, but it wasn't too bad.

Based on others' experiences here on the board with LED's I am hopeful that this will be the final solution to my burning out bulb probs! i am very pleased so far, they seem to really kick out some photons-nice and bright
Best of luck,
TM

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I am sure that the LED lights are the way to go. I have them on my sled trailer, and they about 4' square. NO PROBLEMS!

HOWEVER, I do have the Westbar "Waterproof" Lights on my "big" boat trailer and have had to replace them 3 times in 2 years!! Talked to "Captain John" at Fisherman's, he's a good guy, and he said that the rectangular Westbar "Waterproof" Lights are really no better than the non-waterproof type. He suggested I silicone seal the "bubble" over the bulb and see if that helps. The jury is still out on this one.

Now the big question. Can I purchase the 6" rectangular lights in LED to replace the 6" Westbar "Waterproofs"? I have not seen them anywhere as yet, and am hoping one of the Ifishers can lead me in the right direction. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Maybe they are not made as yet, but I am hoping so.

Rusty

email: [email protected]

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are also replacement L.E.D. bulbs that fit in the same socket that a 1157 standard bulb fits .Just add dielectric grease and install.Will not burn out as there is no heat generated by L.E.D`s. This will allow you to use the same light fixture and not have to unplug!

[ 11-15-2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Ironhead ]

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just built a light bar that will ride on the top of the boat. The only water they will see is the rain. Its all portable and will fit in the cab of my truck so the ramp thieves cannot steal it. I just plain got sick and tired of messing with the trailer lights. I purchase top quality and after a season i had to remove the lens and clean the corrosion off. Enough is enough. Cost me about 40 bucks and they will now last forever.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I've replaced a couple of trailers lights with the sealed unbits from NAPA auto parts. The bulb is completely sealed inside the lens assembly and the lens/buld fits into a rubber grommet in the housing. When they burn out you replace the whole thing (8 bucks I think) but they last forever. A little vasoline on the pigtail where they plug in.
YOu can back right in the water without unplugging.
The ones that have the air trap (as Pete described) do work but I found that the bulb/socket still corrodes from moisture, especially in the salt. THe sealed units don't have that problem. :cheers:

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
What Miss B Haven said. The sealed units are the way to go. I've had them on a drift boat trailer (now owned by a friend) for 11 years without a replacement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use LED lights but take a hint front an old dump truck drive disconect your trailer when getting ready to launch. It give the bulb time to cool off and not suck the water in when they get submersed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help, the led's look like a great deal, but before I read the rest of the posts I got a WestBar setup with the sealed fixture that you can open and replace the bulb. It has a o-ring inside that I placed some silicon grease on before I sealed it. I placed the unit in water they didn't seem to leak. I needed the lights asap otherwise I would have ordered some leds.

My other lights were blowing every time out :mad: , so I'm sure that these will last much longer. I'll let you know when I blow the first bulb.

-6horse

·
Registered
236 Posts
I got some LED lights from west marine, there is a little step plate above where the lights go and the lights didnt fit perfect but in a hurry to go I put them in anyway with out drilling new (further down the plate holes) I heard on pop while tighting the nuts,,,,then I noticed water in them after use. I emailed the company and asked them is the leds were sealed and if the should be water inside the lense...they had me email the reciept and sent me a new pair now thats customer service!.....DJ

·
Registered
561 Posts
I alway had the problem of my lights getting filled with water and going out after a season. So we made a removable trailer light system and it works great. The lights are mounted to a board which goes across the back of the boat and fastens into the rod holder holes. The entire sytem is then taken off and but inside my rig. It has been 5 years and i haven't had any problems with corroded wires, burn outs or signals not working. There is nothing worse than getting everything ready to go and have a light system failure causing you to miss out on a trip or first light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts