IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 rogue trailer and i have replaced every light assembly on it at least once since i got it in august of 2000. im getting ready for a trip to shasta and after a quick light check i find both side marker lights are inoperative. i took off the lenses and found them to be corroded beyond repair and covered with this kind of turquoise colored crust. the bulbs for the tail lamps are incapsulated in a waterproof shell, they haven't got any water in them but the bulbs dont seem to last very long. for the last 6 months or so they have been in various stages of disrepair and i have just made due. thinking as long as i have brake lights and turn signals i'll be ok, but now that i have replaced them all, again (looks like disco trailer, i love it) i would like any tips on how to make them last a little longer. i will now start unplugging when launching....what about zincs on the trailer???

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I have the same problem on my rogue trailer. Back lights work great but the markers don't. I use baking soda and a small brass wire brush to clean mine. The next time I clean them up and replace the bulb's I'm going to use a small dab of silcone RTV to seal them. As far as unplugging your lights, I have never had a problem not unplugging mine.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Tricker (sp?) trailer. Have had it over 3 years and have never replace any bulb - period. Now I haven't opened the marker lights or the rear for that matter so not sure what they really look like in there but they have never filled with water. I never unplug at the ramp. The trailer was the orig one from Custom Weld. Its a 91.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
L.E.D.????? TELL ME MORE, WHERE DO I GET THEM??
DO THE "WIRE UP" THE SAME??

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
a good tip is to unplug the power before you back up, some will leak and you can blow a buld if you back into water and the water hit the lamo. unplugging helps, just make sure to hook back up when you leave the ramp to head home. LED sounds like a good option though. I may look into that myself.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
My trailer is equiped with sealed light modules. These encapsulated modules have had to be replaced, but not because of water. Found spares in Cabelas in the past.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info all. i think when these new lights fail...and they will fail...im going to do a complete rewire with the l.e.d. lights.
now i cant wait for my lights to burn out!!!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Just dunk the bulb into some vasoline before installing it into the socket. This cuts down on corrosion and help with removal. If you want to change bulbs and don't want to go with led's, you could change it so you use sealed beam bulbs. That what we have on our trailer and they are just fine.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Three words :wink: ... doubleu dee forty :grin:
Yep, I use WD-40 on all exposed electrical, brass or aluminum connections to minimize corrosion.
It's easy spray on and do it often around the boat, trailer, rig, lawnmower, etc.
Sealed beams or LED's will reduce trailer light headaches. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The only problem with WD-40 is it evaporates away really fast. A good grease or Vasoline will be there for a lot longer.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Maybe somebody has finally produced LED lights that are waterproof, or at least submersible, but I haven't seen any yet. :shrug:

·
Registered
803 Posts
h20dog, use a water proof grease in and around the socket, sparingly. This will also make the bulb easier to remove when it burns out.....Sal

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the weird thing is, there is a 3 light bar in the middle on the back. has been drenched as much or more than the rest and has never failed.
<knocking on wood>

·
Registered
275 Posts
h2odog-I have a rogue trailer from 1997 and the dang lights never worked right, have been replaced many times with "waterproof" ones and currently I am limping along with taillights only. Actually we've never had anything but trouble with the trailer now that I think about it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This works for me.

I had the same problem with corroded lights in the so called waterproof lights.
I solved the problem by removing the lens covers, put a light coat of grease on them and reinstalled them. I then put pure silicone on my finger and went all around the lens at the seal. I did this on all of the openings in the light. I also siliconed at the opening for the wires going into the light. Iam running the same lights now for 4 years so it must have worked. I think if i ever have to replace a light the silicone will (still is) be soft and easy to remove.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
LED....LED...LED...Period.

SureSet got me to convert...and I absolutely love 'em.

You can get plug-in replacements at Potter/Webster in the Delta Park area.. for about $8-9 each..both red and amber for your running lites. The tail lights will cost you more...but I guarantee you will love them.

G

·
If you don't go LED coat the exposed metal with an electrical anti oxidiser grease like "DeOx" or "No Corode". Use the stuff on all of your terminals too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts