IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how many of you have had your trail cams stolen?
A good friend of mine put his cuddeback on a bull wallow on a saturday. He sat the stand there that night but not Sunday morning. When we went back there on Sunday afternoon, someone had bent the bear box which was locked and stold the camera. It was one of the more expensive camera's.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
That is the bad part of having trail cams.. the two legged critters will steal them. I try to make mine hidden & away from foot traffic, Really risky during Hunting seasons.

one fellow on trail cam thread had his stolen. Check craigs list, for the best spot to find stolen goods. As with E-bay.

I built one of these, for my trail cam, With a 3/8 Python cable to secure it to tree. Should slow down 80% of the folks.. I hope..

dang thiefs...

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW Chug....that is awesome! Have you considered making some of those steel cases for cuddybacks and selling them. I know a guy who still has a few cams left and would likely buy some from you after losing the last one.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I wish had the time for that.. But that is the idea, to make it Tough for folks to steal. They can alway's Chainsaw the tree down. Then its gone. Bar, would take some time. I painted mine Jet Black, for it will be in the shadows.

Such a pain. Now, I have to carry the extra weight to the Deep dark woods.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
That blows. I cammo the heck out of mine and put them low or high and in really remote places. So far so good, but I am really paranoid about loosing them to loosers.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Dam i was hoping the bear box would slow the thives down, i was more worried that they would shoot it cause they couldn't steal it.
I'm going to go get mine in the AM.

Twodogs

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That's why I won't even put mine in places that I think other hunters might go. The only problem I've had is bears trying to steal my camera. Had them chew on it twice. Luckily they didn't get it.

kris

·
Registered
51 Posts
yea i have had a bear mess with mine. and i have had a man walk by mine but i havent lost it yet. hey chug if you were down to make another one of those i would buy it. that would be nice to have during hunting season. im always thinking that i am going to go up there and its going to be gone.:what:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I use the Cuddeback bear box. Instead of the tiny screws that they provided, I bought some heavy duty 4" lag bolts to screw it to the tree. I also got one of the locks that only show a bit of the actual lock bar. The rest is encased in steel. No problems yet, and I know that there has been people in there.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I guess you need to put another trailcam aimed at your primary trailcam to ID the thieves, and so on, and so on.:smirk:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cam getting stolen. I met a guy hunting this week who says he makes cam lock boxes that are bear proof,bullet proof and 100% theft proof. He lives in newberg and is a hunting equipment designer, his name is John Morris. The only problem is I didn't get his #. If anyone knows this guy please pass on his #.He is a very nice guy. He has lots of good info.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Went & deployed my New trail cam for a soak, After Bear played with it. Had to Make a Steel box for it. Now, I feel its safe... just one boo boo, will have to fix later.

Long hike in, some fogging on the lens.. Or just Fear:D.

Locked & ready for action

It's hard to spot, unless your in that area. Should be good for Bear, He will test it in a few hours. Or Mr.Coon.. will pre-test it.:eek:oo:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I have the same camera as Chug and when I checked it yesterday this is what I found. The plastic Belt holder was ripped apart. The camera is OK but I will have to build a box for it now. Should have known better then to put apples out.

I put the camera out at 1:30 pm and the bear was there by 6:30 pm that same day.

Also he was there the day before when no apples were out.

I think leaving a camera out during hunting season may be a bad idea because of all the hunters.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
A cheaper model was stolen from an area that I had scouted. I saw a couple of real nice bucks and sat the cam up on a Friday. I went back on Wednesday and it was gone.

I like to use the term that "Someone Sold Their Soul for $84.99", because that was the cost of the Bushnell camera.

The entitlement mentatlity and lack of moral value is climbing amongst our hunting community.

I had quite a conversation with an ifisher that doesn't have much nice to say. After bashing him a couple of times and him bashing me, we started to talk on email. Although I don't agree with a lot of what this guy has to say or his eliteist attitude, I do agree that a lot of hunters are not societies best representatives.

I talk to almost every hunter that I come in contact with and I gotta tell yah, I am disappointed in their lack of knowledge concerning their sport and some of the unethical things that spew out of their mouth. I am no longer surprised when someone loses a trail cam, or I hear that they just missed a bow shot at 90 yards, and although I am starting to have a preconceived notion about each hunter I approach, I do keep an open mind and know anyone can change.

With that said, I am no saint and have a history like most people. I still make mistakes, but stealing another persons property is disgraceful.

I have run across several bowhunters this year at road closures early in the morning or late in the evening and most of these guys have their stuff wired tight. I ran into several on the eastside at the RV Park I stayed in and I couldn't believe some of their stories. I found myself asking questions like: isn't that a little far to be shooting (90 yards)? or how many have you wounded this season? The troubling thing is that these guys and gals talk like this is just as common as Kool Aid. It wasn't comfortable to talk to a truck full of guys and ask some questions that really put them on the spot, but I just couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eagleclaw,
Thanks for the contact for John Morris. I will be giving him a call soon. As Blacktail said, there is no shortage of ethics problems in the sport of archery today. Many of us that despise this activitie talk about regulations to reduce hunters or have mandatory classes for archers. I for one do not have an answer. Everyone deserves the same opportunities to hunt that I do. I for one certainly would like to see more enforcement in the woods from OSP. It is obviously an issue of money as usual. I guess I do not have the answer to this problem and I do see it as a problem. Just wait till the Anti's get a bunch of pictures of rotting animals in the woods with arrows sticking out of them. A lot of people would side with the Anit's. All in all we are now forced to police our selves.
Gil

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
yep my trail cam got stolen this year after having it out for 3 weeks....sad
that fellow bow hunters did this.I seen a guy hunting the area talked to him, he said he was new to the area just moved to st.helens so I told him to stop by the shop.....Well I hope he does now went back the next day and the camera was gone.....we will see, it has pics of me on it so he knows whose it is.

·
Registered
587 Posts
yep my trail cam got stolen this year after having it out for 3 weeks....sad
that fellow bow hunters did this.I seen a guy hunting the area talked to him, he said he was new to the area just moved to st.helens so I told him to stop by the shop.....Well I hope he does now went back the next day and the camera was gone.....we will see, it has pics of me on it so he knows whose it is.
It's 7:30 Cory! shouldn't you be in the brush!! :cheers: Or you tagged out?
:bigshock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts