IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband Greg and I took a day trip to explore and learn about fishing for oversize sturgeon on Saturday below Bonnieville Dam. What began as a wonderful and fun trip was interrupted with tragedy. :depressed: :depressed:

We had been visiting with several fishermen at the dock to find out how the day had been. Everyone was having a wonderful time. There were two guys who had just returned from a guided trip and were as happy as you can get! We talked to them briefly. They said the fishing was great! We left them and were talking to some folks up by the ODFW squaw fish station when we heard a train blowing its horn and could feel the ground shake! Moments later someone yelled that a pickup had been hit by the train. We ran up to the tracks and discovered that the two guys that we had been talking to moments earlier were in the pickup. We understand that the passenger was killed and the other was seriously injured. Our deepest sympathies go out to these men and their families.

The train had stopped approximately one half mile from the crossing with numerous rail cars behind the crossing blocking the road. Emergency personnel arrived in short time to care for the men. We soon realized that we were going to staying for several hours at the boat launch. That is when we met Six PAC and his wife, Carol. Also a few other Ifishers. It somehow felt comforting to be with other Ifishers during a time of tragedy. Seven hours passed before any one cloud leave.

Greg and I were talking on the way home. As tragic as the day had become, we feel that we have met some new friends that we may have not met had it not been for that fateful day.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
That is a horrible thing to hear. Completely Tragic. My thought go out to the families of those people.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It was a very bad day to come out of the water and here about that yesterday.. :depressed: I just hope the other guy that was in the truck survived. I will pray for the guys that were in the truck. It was nice too meeting all the ifishers out there...

[ 05-27-2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
832 Posts
I to was there at the time of the accident fishing right accross from the boat ramp when we heard the train hit the truck. About the time we were at boat ramp to take out is when life flight came in to take out what I think was the survivor. It was a good day of fishing but came to a bad ending. I am also from Junction City and it was 12:30 before I got home. I will never take another railroad crossing for granted again. :depressed:
DM

·
Registered
487 Posts
Myself and several other ifisher's are locomotive engineers for Union Pacific RR (the OR side, the WA side is BNSF). We know the anguish these wrecks cause because we feel it also. If we could stop in time we would but it takes too much distance to get that much weight stopped. You can't imagine what's like to hit a car with the back seat full of kids.

Approaching a railroad track is the time for your total undivided attention. Familiarize yourself with the message of Operation Lifesaver

It's important to boat safely but it is important to get home safely also.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I wondered when this was going to happen. I always felt that this was one of the most dangerous rail crossings anywhere.

It is sad when anything like this happens.

My sympathy goes out to the families of the 2 guys.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
*ATTENTION DIESEL TRUCK OWNERS* Apparently the two gentlemen were traveling in a large diesel truck. It has been suggested that these new diesel rigs that are so popular these days, are also very noisy. I tend to agree. It has also been suggested that the noise coming from this mans diesel truck my have contributed to the accident, he simply didnt hear it coming. He may not have looked both ways either, but we all know how loud these rigs are. Until they start making these crossings safer, if youre traveling in a noisy vehicle, a little more caution wouldnt hurt. Something to think about anyway.....

[ 05-27-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
That is a real tragedy. Thoughts go out to the families of the poor guy. We witnessed another on the way to odell friday. A fatal head-on near Oakridge. A white dodge ram and a small sedan hit head both doing 60. The most horrific I've seen in many years. All three in the sedan killed instantly. As we passed we had the misfortune of seeing the deceased driver. My wife and I were quite shaken. A very sobering reminder of just how precious life is. It can end in an instant. I heard the driver in the truck may have been drinking. God, I hope not!
Please be careful out there, the fish will wait for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was raised in Nebraska and we had long freight trains screaming through our small town every day and night. From a young age you are taught to pay attention at ALL RR crossings, even when on foot. They travel much faster then they seem.

Turn off the radio and roll down the window is what we were told to do.
STOP, LOOK and LISTEN at every crossing even if you know there is no train. Never loose your respect (fear) of trains.

Please do not forget the train’s conductor as you remember the survivor and the families of both men in your prayers. He is also a survivor of a horrible accident.

Here's an article about that train crash...
http://www.koin.com/webnews/20032/20030527_traincollision.shtml

[ 05-27-2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Stryker ]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Stryker for the web link page about the train and truck crash so averyone can read it. Maybe it will save some others life, and make us all more careful crossing rail road crossings and even driving out on the highways. I will turn off my cd, and roll down my window when crossing any train tracks now.
It just makes you a little more careful when you see something like that.
I really felt for the train conductor, he was just in shock and so sad.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I will pray for the conductor and for the family of the lost man. For the complete recovery of the injured man.
I have crossed that crossing so many times without so much as a thought. That will never happen again.
Hug you'r wife and kids. Call your mom and dad, tell them you love them. This showes you just how fast things change.
st

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The driver of the truck was a Mr. Sato. He is an economics teacher at Lincoln High School. My partners son has him for a teacher. He is a very popular teacher at Lincoln. He also loves to fish.

What an unbelievable tragedy.

Trains do not usually slow down at the Fishery crossing so you must always look both ways before crossing. It is a dangerous spot. Especially when you are pulling a boat across the tracks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I went out again monday and the people at the fishery said the driver had passed away.I don't know if thats correct but if it is again my prayers are out to the family.
On monday it was very sad to see the family's on the tracks saying there prayers. :depressed:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts