IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
4,557 Posts
did one today and it was very good. :applause: its a long process but if you wait it out the end result is solid. I also used the vinegar sauce and even though I didn't care for it out of the pan the combonation was good. Most all the people who had it liked it. I am fairly picky about my BBQ as are many of our friends and they all really liked it.:applause:

I am doing another next weekend and will cook it a little slower to get a deeper break and inject it with a little different injection to help break down the deeper meat. I cooked this one which was a little over 5 pounds for 9.5 hours and it was good but 11 or 12 would have made it great!

thanks for posting!:applause:

· Super Moderator
21,682 Posts
This is worthy of bringing it to the top. Had my butt on since 8:30 on just smoke. Basted with the mop juice every 45, turned it over at 3 hours, then back over 3 hours after that. Bumped the temp up to 300 for the last 50 mins., and just pulled it off with the internal temp at about 195.

Foiled it up and it's now resting in the cooler. That vinegar sauce is to die for. It's very vinegary tasting by itself, but when poured over the meat on a bun, it's like candy, and very addicting.

Thanks for the recipe Jettin' Fool, this is my 3rd go around, and can't wait for the 4th!!

Just in time as the thunderstorms are settling in.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Thanks for the recipe Jettin' Fool...........

Did my first Pork Butt this weekend for my grandson's b-day party and used your recipe (sauce and all).

It was a huge hit, everyone loved it.............

· Registered
1 Posts
I've got the pulled pork dialed in on the Traeger:yay:Here is a combo of recipes I found on the Smoke Ring.

Start by rubbing down a Boston Butt with your favorite rub. I use Traegers 'Sweet rub' and then wrap it up with cling wrap for 24 hours. When it comes out of the wrap the next day I inject equal parts bourbon and apple juice then let it sit out for 45-60 minutes. Load the Traeger up with Apple pellets and set it at 225-250 degree's. Throw on the Butt fat side up and every 45 minutes or so spray it down with "HOG WASH" which is a mixture of:

1 cup apple cider or juice (cider is preferred)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Jack Daniels or other bourbon
1/4 cup REAL pure maple syrup
1 tsp of Tabasco

After about 3 hours flip the meat over and spray down with wash. After another 3 hours flip it again and finish fat side up until the internal temp hits 195 degree's. (Figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound) Remove the meat and double wrap in foil. Then wrap in a heavy towel and put in a clean dry cooler for 1 -2 hours. This settling time is a perfect time to throw on some ABT's >> http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=160944

Pull the pork and serve:food:. Put on plain white buns with meat and sauce on one side and Coleslaw on the other! AWESOME!!

I have found a FANTASTIC sauce alternative to the normal BBQ variety. This sauce is addictive and has a GREAT flavor.

Roxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Give this a try... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

JF
I have read a number of recipes that want you to rub it down with yellow mustard before the dry rub. Have you done any that way? Your recipe sounds fantastic and I will be cooking one on Saturday with the ABT's for the Nebraska game!

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Found this doing a search. Made 2 6-7# butts last Sunday for a meeting on Monday. Huge success! Everyone loved it (I did eliminate the bourbon though) and the mustard sauce is fantastic. Will definitely make this again. Even my extremely picky wife has been eating the leftovers for days, lol:meme:

· Registered
1,200 Posts
This has been my go-to recipe for pork butt since it was posted. Glad it's back to the top. Thanks again Jettin' Fool...Here's one with a batch of homemade baked beans!

· Registered
263 Posts
I have read a number of recipes that want you to rub it down with yellow mustard before the dry rub. Have you done any that way? Your recipe sounds fantastic and I will be cooking one on Saturday with the ABT's for the Nebraska game!
I do use just basic yellow mustard prior to putting the rub on. It helps the rub adhere to the meat better. You won't taste the mustard at all.........

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Back to the top.........

I'll be doing about 30#'s of butt for my daughters graduation party in a couple weeks so back to the top so I can find the recipe easily.

Yum Yum Good..........

· Registered
128 Posts
I've got the pulled pork dialed in on the Traeger:yay:Here is a combo of recipes I found on the Smoke Ring.

Start by rubbing down a Boston Butt with your favorite rub. I use Traegers 'Sweet rub' and then wrap it up with cling wrap for 24 hours. When it comes out of the wrap the next day I inject equal parts bourbon and apple juice then let it sit out for 45-60 minutes. Load the Traeger up with Apple pellets and set it at 225-250 degree's. Throw on the Butt fat side up and every 45 minutes or so spray it down with "HOG WASH" which is a mixture of:

1 cup apple cider or juice (cider is preferred)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Jack Daniels or other bourbon
1/4 cup REAL pure maple syrup
1 tsp of Tabasco

After about 3 hours flip the meat over and spray down with wash. After another 3 hours flip it again and finish fat side up until the internal temp hits 195 degree's. (Figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound) Remove the meat and double wrap in foil. Then wrap in a heavy towel and put in a clean dry cooler for 1 -2 hours. This settling time is a perfect time to throw on some ABT's >> http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=160944

Pull the pork and serve:food:. Put on plain white buns with meat and sauce on one side and Coleslaw on the other! AWESOME!!

I have found a FANTASTIC sauce alternative to the normal BBQ variety. This sauce is addictive and has a GREAT flavor.

Roxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Give this a try... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

JF

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.