IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the pulled pork dialed in on the Traeger:yay:Here is a combo of recipes I found on the Smoke Ring.

Start by rubbing down a Boston Butt with your favorite rub. I use Traegers 'Sweet rub' and then wrap it up with cling wrap for 24 hours. When it comes out of the wrap the next day I inject equal parts bourbon and apple juice then let it sit out for 45-60 minutes. Load the Traeger up with Apple pellets and set it at 225-250 degree's. Throw on the Butt fat side up and every 45 minutes or so spray it down with "HOG WASH" which is a mixture of:

1 cup apple cider or juice (cider is preferred)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Jack Daniels or other bourbon
1/4 cup REAL pure maple syrup
1 tsp of Tabasco

After about 3 hours flip the meat over and spray down with wash. After another 3 hours flip it again and finish fat side up until the internal temp hits 195 degree's. (Figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound) Remove the meat and double wrap in foil. Then wrap in a heavy towel and put in a clean dry cooler for 1 -2 hours. This settling time is a perfect time to throw on some ABT's >> http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=160944

Pull the pork and serve:food:. Put on plain white buns with meat and sauce on one side and Coleslaw on the other! AWESOME!!

I have found a FANTASTIC sauce alternative to the normal BBQ variety. This sauce is addictive and has a GREAT flavor.

Roxy's Mustard Vinegar Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Give this a try... YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

JF

· Administrator
129,590 Posts
Oh, yum. Thanks for the temp tip!

Jen

· Administrator
129,590 Posts
OK, Jettin'! Wish me luck! I'm trying it, starting tonight, and eating tomorrow night!

I've tried Crabbait's recipe. Now yours.

I'll do a rating on both. :)

Jen

· Administrator
129,590 Posts
Is the Costco stuff real pure maple syrup? That expensive stuff? I have that.... I'll use it, unless I hear other. If other, where do I get it?

· Administrator
129,590 Posts
Ah, shoot. I forgot I have to go to a funeral tomorrow, so I'm going to cook it Sunday. I hope that it won't hurt that I already seasoned and rolled it in plastic wrap.

J

· Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck Jen! The Real Maple syrup I use is watery and doesn't gum up my spray bottle.

You may want to have a traditional BBQ sauce available for the people that aren't into the Mustard/Vinegar. I personally like it more that the tomato varieties.

Let me know how it turns out!

JF:food:

· Administrator
129,590 Posts
I am worried. You are supposed to put the pork in a foil after it cooks, and a towel and put it in a cooler for 1-2 hours.

It was late when it got done, so I put it in the foil and towell and in the fridge all night. I just took it out and it's still luke warm.

Is that scary for food poisoning???

Jen

· Administrator
129,590 Posts
Wow. usually when I make this, it's a pain and hard to pull. I think the long cook time and the 195 is the key.

mmmmmmmm... Good stuff. I guess I'll let you know if I get sick. It tastes like bacon! I kid you not! I couldn't pass up bacon!

Jen

· Registered
2,223 Posts
Ive got a pork shoulder rubbed with sweet rub and in plastic wrap as we speak. mmmmm mmm Ill report soon as I eat it.

· Registered
2,223 Posts
wELL, another recipe tried and true. Man, that was some goooood pork. Also, did the sauce too and it was a serious hit. Im hooked. Then we made Atomic Buffalo Tootoos and those were delicious too. Aaaahhh, so many recipes, so little time.

· Registered
997 Posts
Did one of these on Saturday. I was nervous to try the sauce, because I am not crazy about vinegar. Made some coleslaw for the side.

Did the rub and injection, placed on the traeger at 10pm Friday, did the "Hog Wash", every once in a while. wrapped in foil when it hit 160 (about 2pm), and turned the Traeger to medium because I was getting nervous about the time. It rapidly raised to 195 and so I pulled it off at 3pm and set in the cooler wrapped in some towels till 5pm. I pulled and served by 6pm, and I can honestly say it was the best I've ever had. Everyone tried it different ways, I had made a "Devils Spit" sauce, and had some others available.

My favorite was pork slathered in the vinegar sauce, and a layer of coleslaw over that, all in a bun. MMMmm:food:

Also did a Brisket that turned out a little dry. The butcher had trimmed it when I got it with my 1/4 beef, and I think they trimmed too much fat off. It went over well, but was put to shame by the pork.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.