IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the old Traeger BBQ075 with the larger Round Hopper and just can't figure out how to get to the Auger on this older model. The serial number on this one is 12139 I have had this grill a long time and this is the first issue I have had with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated my wife is not very happy that it is not working.

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
Mine was jammed and although a different model, the shear bolt was missing. I suggest taking it a apart and seeing what you find.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Theres a ton of troubleshooting and repair vids on youtube.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Get her a MAK Grill and let her smile. I had an older Treager I rebuilt a few times costing me plenty over the life of the grill. Check youtube and Treagers web site. We got tired of the Treager and bought a MAK and like the discussions about a foodsaver vs. a chamber sealer, once you make the change you'll never look back. Yoder is another good option.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Undo the screws holding the auger motor in place (four screws, one at each corner of the square adaptor plate if I recall correctly) and undo a small cotter pin connecting the motor to the shaft and you’ll be able to access the back end of the auger.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Undo the screws holding the auger motor in place (four screws, one at each corner of the square adaptor plate if I recall correctly) and undo a small cotter pin connecting the motor to the shaft and you’ll be able to access the back end of the auger.
Do you access the screws by coming up the hole in the bottom, because there does not seem to be much room to work doing that, I was hoping to be able to remove the hoper to make easy acces but this older model just lets you pull it off and take the whole augur and the fire pot out with it. None of the videos i saw even come close to showing this model and how to do it.

Yes maybe it is time to try the MAK and move on from this one. I just don't like spending money on something new if I can get this auger working again.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I’m not sure on your specific model- I was basing this on my ancient model with the firebox located in the center, which I think was the first generation of Traeger. The motor was visible under the left side of the unit right behind the high-low-smoke switch and was accessible from underneath. I’ve since given away the smoker (still working after about 30 years) and moved on to a Camp Chef Woodwind which I absolutely love.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it is accessible from underneath but no way to pull the auger out once the motor is disconnected because there is noway to remove the front of the hopper at least from what I can see, hopefully someone on here has figured this out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You can pull the whole hopper off if you have to but you have to unhook the auger motor from it first. If it is the old round hopper 075 there should be a panel inside the hopper in front that is held in by screws. You can take that out to access the auger motor. They are all serviceable even the very early models so no need to "give up" and buy a new one. Depending on where you are located there are dealers that will work on them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
They are all very serviceable. I have 4 different traegers... I forgot one outside here recently. Just a couple days ago I had to pull the auger as the pellets soaked up moisture and became concrete so it wouldn't turn. Pulled the motor and used a hammer amd pry bar to brake the auger loose then removed completely. This isn't the first time ive had to do it...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Maybe google the model and see if you can find a pdf of the owner's manual. Most older units had a parts list. That might give you a clue.

My solution is to allow the auger to fully empty before I shut it down after a cook session. I keep the pellets inside and simply reload the hopper for the next cook. I got a cover for my B-day this year. I'm sure that has helped as well.

If you are going to take it apart, you may want to go ahead and replace some other components while it's somewhat disassembled. Fan, fire pot, and starter element was $30 on Amazon for my Lil Tex. Best afternoon I've ever invested into that 'Q.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can pull the whole hopper off if you have to but you have to unhook the auger motor from it first. If it is the old round hopper 075 there should be a panel inside the hopper in front that is held in by screws. You can take that out to access the auger motor. They are all serviceable even the very early models so no need to "give up" and buy a new one. Depending on where you are located there are dealers that will work on them.
I will try that panel first and see how that works to at least get the auger motor off. I don't see how you can pull the auger out though it is just too long for that hopper. Just maybe getting a chance to break it lose might do the trick. Thanks everyone for your advise. I was not able to find a owners manual online for this model as of yet. I even talked to Traeger this morning and the person I talked to did not have an answer because they were unfamiliar with this older model. They had me take a video of it so they can give it to someone there that is in the know and hopefully get back to me.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Get her a MAK Grill and let her smile. I had an older Treager I rebuilt a few times costing me plenty over the life of the grill. Check youtube and Treagers web site. We got tired of the Treager and bought a MAK and like the discussions about a foodsaver vs. a chamber sealer, once you make the change you'll never look back. Yoder is another good option.
While I do like a MAK, it’s pretty tough to gripe about the OP’s situation. Sounds like he’s had extremely good luck with it, which is no surprise for an original unit. Nothing like the new ones!

My brother has a 2-Star MAK and likes it, but they sure get you hard for any add-ons when you buy. I really looked hard at one, but wound up with a Traeger Timberline. Not 100% sure, but I think they’ve been replaced by the Ironwood series which is a whole lot cheaper and less grill. Been real happy with mine, and my brother has said more than once that he would have really looked hard at it if it was Available when he bought his MAK.

I still wouldn’t cry about an old school original, made in Oregon Traeger. There’s a fella in Eugene, known as BBQ Bob, that rebuilds old ones like new. I can hook up the OP if he needs it!

·
Registered
8,818 Posts
I bought a Traeger after reading all of the Traeger threads for years. Now, you guys are talking MAK, and I’ve never heard of them.

No fair! ;)

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My Traeger is 10 years old and a Lil Tex, been a warrior. I had the same issue and took the hopper off, then a few screws and a pry bar got the auger out as it had jammed. No issues. I’m sure Traeger will have an old school service person to look into your issue.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Take it completely apart. Remove the burn pot. Remove the auger motor. Try and turn it with channel locks. If there is a hole in the middle of the auger you can drive a small steel rod thru it to break it loose. Keep working at it. It'll come free. Haven't had to soak one in water to completely loosen the pellets if they have already gotten wet. I can help you if you'd like.

I have one of the old Traeger BBQ075 with the larger Round Hopper and just can't figure out how to get to the Auger on this older model. The serial number on this one is 12139 I have had this grill a long time and this is the first issue I have had with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated my wife is not very happy that it is not working.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I will try that panel first and see how that works to at least get the auger motor off. I don't see how you can pull the auger out though it is just too long for that hopper. Just maybe getting a chance to break it lose might do the trick. Thanks everyone for your advise. I was not able to find a owners manual online for this model as of yet. I even talked to Traeger this morning and the person I talked to did not have an answer because they were unfamiliar with this older model. They had me take a video of it so they can give it to someone there that is in the know and hopefully get back to me.
Most of the old round hopper 075's had a plug in the end that pops out so you can pull the auger out the end. Some of the really early ones did not. If it is one that did not then unhook the auger motor and take the 4 bolts that hold the hopper to the drum out and remove the hopper.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Didn't read all the replies....... You are on the right track! Remove the motor then unbolt the hopper from the inside(it has bolt heads inside the will need to clean off) then you can pull the auger

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts