IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pete,

Thinking about changing to twin prop boat (of course every time I think about it, I run over a log in the water and think...Jeez...that would have killed a prop boat) and I was wondering about the Gladiator system.

Idea would be no trolling motor and to alternate using one of the 130's as the "troller". Hydraulic steering of course.

Would the Gladiator be able to work the one engine like a trolling motor similar to my TR-1 setup?

Brion

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hello Brion,

Yes we can run even three 130's. Give me a call when you are ready. I will make you a great deal on this.

Thanks Pete

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,

If I had a boat with a single 250HP four cycle (the new Merc), could I use the Gladiator system and use it for trolling, installing a flapper on the 250HP for slow troll, and eliminate the need for a separate trolling motor?

Brion

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Brion - You could use the Gladiator to run the big motor and connect your trolling motor to the big motor with an EZ-steer system. Then the Gladiator would run your troller as well as the big motor.

If that big motor decides it's having a bad hair day you are going to want the troller to limp home on, or at least keep your nose into the swells until help arrives.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Good point crabbait. We were fishing Paulina opening weekend and the kids listened to the stereo all day. I went to start the chevy, and all I got was clicking. Both batteries, dead. :depressed:

Glad I had the 9.9 to putt back to the docks and put her on the trailer.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crabbait,

I'm a redundant kind of guy and having a 2nd engine, kicker or twin, is always attractive.

I can add stuff later but I want to know how the basic would work.

Most glass boats don't accommodate kickers well so if I can't do twins, I might have to go kickerless.

Brion

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
Besides crabbaits reason, why would you want to put all of those extra hours on your big motor. You could literally by 4 or 5 kickers for what a big motor costs + all of the saved fuel costs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Brion, Yes The Gladiator would work great, I will though recomend a back up motor,(Kicker) If you go this route make sure to get hydraulic steering.

pete

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
willametteriveroutlaw,

You won't really bother a four cycle engine running at the lower end of the rpm range. While it might put hours on it, it doesn't really do much wear and tear.

Redundancy is a plus but I boated in the ocean for 10 years with just a main engine, 2 cycle 90 HP Merc and trolled a lot with it on top of that. Always got me home.

Here we are on rivers, not oceans, and I've got SeaTow coverage for 99% of my boating.

Engine conks out, be ready with the anchor. That has to be first order of biz even with two engines since one big reason for engine failure is bad fuel and that will take out your kicker or twin also until you hook an auxillary fuel tank.

Brion

[ 06-16-2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts