IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the purchase of a Toyota Tundra. Probably not brand new but nothing older than 2017 or so. I have a question for people that may have one. I’ve read some people have problems with a cam tower oil leak due to them not using a gasket and the adhesive they use instead is prone to leaking. Anyone dealt with this first hand? Trying to figure out how widespread the problem is and if it’s more common than not. From what I’ve read it happens as early as 30,000 miles. I love everything about the trucks but don’t want to buy something that’s gonna be a constant worry for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it! They are solid rigs. My dad has one (I'm buying it as he's getting a new one) and I have 8 close friends with them and know many others with them as well. I haven't even heard of the issue until now hahaha. They are the best 1/2 ish ton on the market imho.

·
Registered
19,631 Posts
I have a 2002 and the only thing I've encountered is warping front brake disc, swapped to drilled and slotted, no more problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Considering the purchase of a Toyota Tundra. Probably not brand new but nothing older than 2017 or so. I have a question for people that may have one. I’ve read some people have problems with a cam tower oil leak due to them not using a gasket and the adhesive they use instead is prone to leaking. Anyone dealt with this first hand? Trying to figure out how widespread the problem is and if it’s more common than not. From what I’ve read it happens as early as 30,000 miles. I love everything about the trucks but don’t want to buy something that’s gonna be a constant worry for me.
I’m on my 3rd Tundra; not because of any issues, but moreover because I like them. All 3 of mine have been solid rides and my next truck will be another Tundra. I’ve had a 2009, 2014 and now a 2018.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a 2013 Tundra with the 4.6L V8 bought new from Beaverton Toyota. At 38,000 miles they discovered the cam tower leak on both the driver and passenger side of engine (from the heads). When I bought the truck they provide a free 100,000 mile 10 year power train warranty. They fixed it for FREE. $5000 job. This was during the eclipse of 2017. Leak has not come back. They replaced the gray sealant with black sealant so look for that if you buy used. They leaks were very tiny but I assumed they would get worse.

I'm at 68,000 miles now. Last fall I had two leaking hoses at the thermostat housing causing the belt to squeak. This damaged the serpentine belt and belt tensioner. Replaced it all myself for $180.

Other than that is has been a good truck. The traction at the boat ramp is fantastic. They suck to park if you are used to a smaller truck like the Tacoma. Would I buy again? Maybe. I had a Tacoma before and would think about going back. It was a 2004 Tacoma and very solid. When the Tundras are the same price as the Tacomas at the dealership then Tundra wins for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I have a 2010 with 190K miles on it and its going strong. Absolutely love it. My only knock in it is the bad 14+/- in town/hwy MPG and 10MPG when I tow the boat.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have 2007 tundra with 5.7 liter motor that I bought new. Most miles on it are while towing boat or RV. Only problem in 13 years is warped front rotors due to going too fast down steep mtn pass and riding the brakes. I learned a lesson. It has awesome power but does get only 14-16 mpg empty and 10 mpg towing. Only wish would be bigger gas tank.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m most likely trading in a Ford F-250 with the 6.2 gas motor so MPG isn’t a huge factor for me. Looking forward to something that rides a little smoother.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I’ve got an ‘18 Crew Max Platinum with the 5.7 that I bought new almost 3 years ago. It’s been a fantastic truck for my needs over the last 72,000 miles. Mileage ain’t great, but definitely better than the 2500 Yukon XL that it replaced! I’ll take the 10-20% hit on mileage for the reliability, compared to many of the other trucks in the same class... The Tundra handles a trailer much better than the Yukon, as well. Pretty sad, as the Yukon was a 3/4 ton...

Great power
Good ride
Huge cab space
Tows what I need nicely (I don’t have anything over 7,500#)
38 gallon tank on the ‘16 and newer... Depending on what I’m hauling, I get 450-525 miles per tank, with a standard full of 31 gallons. That’s 14.5-17 MPG. I don’t haul my heavier trailers long distances, but it appears to get 10-11 with my tractor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2008 CrewMax, drove it for 180k miles, traded it in for a 2018 CrewMax. I’ve got about 50k on the new rig. No issues

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
2021 Tundra TRD Crewmax...first Tundra ever. Got rid of the Ram, sadly, as it seemed to have more problems than worth. So far so good! Love the space, especially the back seat...huge gas tank as well. Three dislikes

* Seems to be a pain to get the connection going with my phone and navigation etc...Have the same problem with the highlander. Need to download Toyota something or other...Maybe just old age showing.

*Small small bed...could use an extra foot.

* Most likely user error on my part...was putting in the boat one morning and thought I had her floating so I got out....not quite...boat was still a little snug on the trailer and the truck started rolling back very slowly. It was in park with E-Brake on...I make sure to stomp the hell out of the E-Brake now....close call.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2021 Tundra TRD Crewmax...first Tundra ever. Got rid of the Ram, sadly, as it seemed to have more problems than worth. So far so good! Love the space, especially the back seat...huge gas tank as well. Three dislikes

* Seems to be a pain to get the connection going with my phone and navigation etc...Have the same problem with the highlander. Need to download Toyota something or other...Maybe just old age showing.

*Small small bed...could use an extra foot.

* Most likely user error on my part...was putting in the boat one morning and thought I had her floating so I got out....not quite...boat was still a little snug on the trailer and the truck started rolling back very slowly. It was in park with E-Brake on...I make sure to stomp the hell out of the E-Brake now....close call.
The one thing I’m not certain on yet is whether I want the crew cab with the shorter bed or the extended cab with the 1 foot longer bed. The extended cabs on the Tundra seem to be pretty roomy compared to what my Ford has but im sure the crew cab is appreciated by anyone who has to ride in the backseat which most likely won’t be very often.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The one thing I’m not certain on yet is whether I want the crew cab with the shorter bed or the extended cab with the 1 foot longer bed. The extended cabs on the Tundra seem to be pretty roomy compared to what my Ford has but im sure the crew cab is appreciated by anyone who has to ride in the backseat which most likely won’t be very often.
It comes down to how much you haul. If you got ATVs and motorcycles or haul lumber regularly you probably want the 6ft bed or longer. Same if you want to haul a cab over sleeper. I make the Crewmax work by leaving the tail gate down for long items or opening the back window and stick long objects into the cab. The extra space in the back seat comes in handy for storage with the seats folded down or for dogs when it's really cold or hot out. That Crewmax 5.5ft bed fit a brand new water heater for me last year with the tailgate closed. I was shocked.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
'18 Crewmax with 43k
0 issues. Above comments are pretty spot on with mileage, etc.
I too have issues with the link to my phone. Some days it works, this morning it wouldn't. Seems to be a common issue with Toyota.
Body metal is extremely cheesy. You can dent it by pushing on it. Glorified tinfoil.
Paint is pretty fragile too, you can run a fingernail down in and scratch it. Same way on my wife's Camry. Clearcoat must have gotten to expensive to put over paint any more.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Two other items I forgot that I am probably just being nitpicky now...

* I hate how the doors close lol.

* Front grill seems like very fragile plastic...Could break with small pebble it seems like anyways.

A couple other items that I like

* The ride is very nice, plush, and comfortable.

* Very easy turning

* Tows great!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have owned Toyota trucks since 1982. Every truck has exceeded 300,000 miles and still were running. I had the 2005 Tundra and sold it with 330,000 miles, and now own the 2019 Tundra. They are great trucks, tow my boats well, and don't fall apart, or nickel and dime you. My maintenance cost other than oil changes is very limited. I may trade my 2015 Tacoma (130,000 miles) for a new Tundra too. That way I can chose the burgundy tundra for towing my red/grey bass boat or blue tundra for towing my alumaweld.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts