IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Lots of different manufacturers to choose from, but I would say the most important is to get a thick sidewall tire A/T tire.

I prefer load range E. It is a 10 ply and plenty for my 20’ boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
I need new tires for the Expedition. The current ones now slip on wet ramps while backing down. Don't need offroad or snow usage, just a good long running tire with excellent wet pavement traction. What do you like? Trailer weight is probably close to 6000 lbs.
I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 that I tow a 32 foot my trailer with, also hay and firewood. My son in law who I am able to get my tires thru asked me to try Mickey Thompson's. They are Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, I just purchased another set from him because I got 66,500 miles out of my first set, they are rated 50,000 mile. This is my only vehicle so it's on the road all the time. Great tire, they don't howl but of course typical Dodge they cup at the end of their life even rotating them often. Price point was good and had one screw that barely penetrated the core.
I would buy in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm confused, the rating site you suggested shouldn't be relied on?

Tirerack ratings are averages of many people’s input. Averages are not absolutes, they always involve some wiggle room.

On a scale 0 to 10, tires with average ratings of 8.9, 9.0, and 9.1 in wet performance likely have considerable overlap that is hard to discern in real use, but a safe bet they’re all better than 8

http s://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/

·
Registered
269 Posts
Michelin Defender LTX is coming up high on wet traction ratings, is what I'm seeing.
Defenders ltx are great tires. I run them on my pathfinder and rav4. Great traction on dry/wet. Did really well on light snow/ ice. I would have put these on my 1 ton but its not really a sexy tire to put on a truck. I'm one of those that are not a fan of ko2, heavy tire, be ready to get them re balanced after tire rotation, as you put miles on them wet traction starts to suck, when new great tire -ran these on my tundra. Modern diesel would eat these tires up

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
There is also a Michelin LTX AT2 that’s a bit more aggressive that the Defender. On my F250.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Rim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had michellins on my 2019 F-150 but recently swapped them for BFG all terrain 10 ply. With the stiffer side wall you definitely feel more bumps on the road. IMO ride feels better when towing than with the michellins.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
I’m kind of thinking towing a 6000 pound boat and trailer with an expedition might be pushing the limit on a wet boat ramp. Maybe a bigger truck might be the better option….Kirk
An Expedition is plenty of truck for a 6,000# boat. My boat weighs about that with a full tank and I pull it with a Nissan Frontier regularly. I’ve never had to put it in 4wd, even at low tide on a slippery ramp.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
An Expedition is plenty of truck for a 6,000# boat. My boat weighs about that with a full tank and I pull it with a Nissan Frontier regularly. I’ve never had to put it in 4wd, even at low tide on a slippery ramp.
To each his own my friend…..I worked construction for many years and have done a lot of equipment towing with a lot of different rigs, and I wouldn’t even classify an Expedition as a truck myself. There is a bit more to towing a heavy trailer than the ability to pull it without spinning your wheels. I sincerely wish you luck with that. You may need it in an emergency situation some day. Kirk

·
Registered
427 Posts
To each his own my friend…..I worked construction for many years and have done a lot of equipment towing with a lot of different rigs, and I wouldn’t even classify an Expedition as a truck myself. There is a bit more to towing a heavy trailer than the ability to pull it without spinning your wheels. I sincerely wish you luck with that. You may need it in an emergency situation some day. Kirk
To each their own. I have been towing trailers for over 30 years and have never had an issue towing close to the tow capacity. Knowing when to slow down goes a long way.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I’m kind of thinking towing a 6000 pound boat and trailer with an expedition might be pushing the limit on a wet boat ramp. Maybe a bigger truck might be the better option….Kirk
Expedition is the F150 chassis, has a 9000 lb tow rating. It has truck sized wheels, truck sized brakes, plenty of power, and has never been a problem with this boat over five years. The current tires just lack wet traction.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Expedition is the F150 chassis, has a 9000 lb tow rating. It has truck sized wheels, truck sized brakes, plenty of power, and has never been a problem with this boat over five years. The current tires just lack wet traction.
That’s cool….If you are comfortable with it. Hopefully you have trailer brakes on your trailer. Chit happens....
I prefer a heavier rig myself.

Run down to Les Schwab and talk to the guys. They’ll fix you up on good traction tires. Kirk

21 - 40 of 42 Posts