IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing at astoria yesterday and had a tough time. Only had a few take downs but when I did the line broke every time. :whazzup: This was on two different poles. They both have New tough line on the reels, fishermans wound both spools.

These were not monster fish(small silvers)This was the first time using them. Am I misssing somthing here. The line broke above the swivel,
The pole were not pulled hard :shocked:

Any one else have this problem. :shrug:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just a guess, but I will bet that your knot came untied not the line breaking. you need to find a good knot book because the new tough lines require diffrent knots than mono. I could show you how to tie a knot that won't break or slip but not on the computer :shrug: a regular cinch not will slip right off the swivell with tough line I think a improved cinch will hold a little better but not good enough.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Was the line broke or did the knot slip? You might check the recommended knots for tough line.

You didn't mention what lb test you were using?

Were your drags set loose?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
there's few knots in the booklet that comes with power pro. do these hold alright? what knots do folks have the most success with? i'm going to be spooling up two rod in the near future and enquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I learned the hard way with Tuff Line too. Had a couple knots slip on me and changed my knots and now have no problems. I also bought the braided line tool(cant remember the name :blush: ) and havent really used it yet. I guess it makes the best knots for braided lines. Anybody no the name of it??

Good Luck

Jfool :cool:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I use a knot that i found in a box of line i think was called a Berkely Power Knot and it has never failed me with Braided or Mono , simple explanation is twice through the eye of the swivel and wrap five times then back through the loopes by the eye of the swivel and pull tight. :smile:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We double the line and then tie a regular knot like you use to tie on hooks, swivels etc. Haven't had one slip yet.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
10,812 Posts
I'm not quick enough. Dipnet, you beat me to it! :grin: Be sure if you tie this knot though, to wet the line when sinching it down! Makes it easier!

·
Registered
19,638 Posts
MD.that sounds like a Trilene knot. I use it on 50# Tuffline and when I get hung up real good,I put on the leather glove to break it off. Never had a knot failure yet. Have had some chaffing problems,but inspecting the line once in while takes care of that problem.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I think you are right freespool ,it's been a while since i started using those knots , but i have never needed to use any other one since. :smile:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Oh yah Jokester, thanks, I did leave out the most important step!!!Spit on it! :smile:

[ 09-07-2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Dipnet ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If in doubt about your knots, keep some superglue in your tackle box and put a drop on your knot as you're cinching it down. You should never have to worry after that. And if you're bored, glue your fishing partners lures to the boat!!!! :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Don't know which knot is best but I use a Unie( spelling ) knot with no less than 7 wraps and then pull tight and make shure the knot forms corectly. I use 50# for salmon and 80# for stungeon, I tie mono with this knot but only use 4 wraps for 30-40# test and 5 or 6 wraps for 8-10and 12# test. haven't had any problems yet.
DAB

·
Registered
284 Posts
I use synthetic line on 20 differant poles and use the palmer knot on all.I have never had slippage. Do a search on the internet for knots they should all be there.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Been discussed a lot in the past year. Did a quick search and found this link.

Super Braid Knots

I use the one that ****** taught me. Fought several oversize sturgeon with no knot failures. Backward clinch knot.

Thanks for the lessons ******. :cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Guys, I have used the trilene knot as was said before. However I am partial to the palomar knot for both Mono and braided lines. I use it all of the time and haven't ever had it cause the line to break or slide out.

Just make sure that the parallel lines all lie flat and are not crossed over

Good luck and I hope that helps a bit

[ 09-08-2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: FishOrDie ]

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I use the knot found inside a box of Tuff line plus. It's never failed me. Not sure how to explain it or what it's called. I just know that it works. A palomar or uni knot would be my very close second and third choices.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Tuff line knot !!!,used it for years and its NEVER broke.Hard to describe but Fishermans have a print out of it or had ?? back by the line m/c.
Ask for it.Its an easy knot to tie.
Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts