IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My line is 3 years old and I've decided having my line break while fighting a record nook would not be an experience I wish to enjoy. Before trotting of to Joes to get some line, is it cheaper to spool myself or just take the reels in and have them do it? (6500C reels)...

· Registered
2,003 Posts
I have found it is cheaper to have them put it on if doing large amounts. That way you don't get spools with random lengths left. Now if you want 300 yards and you get a spool of 300 yards and don't feel lazy you can save a few bucks:twocents:

· Registered
2,098 Posts
I am thinking David Johnson gets new reels every year. And that won't even begin to task Tough-Line. However, I have reels with tough line on them over 5 yrs old. Trim off frayed end, keep using it. This stuff is "tough" and the greatest damage is due to mechanical friction. Opposed to mono, where ultra-violet rays can degrade it quickly, Tough-Line (Kevlar) is nearly impervious.

· Registered
6,220 Posts
OR, take the line off your reel, and then spool it back on backwards. This actually requires you taking it off onto something, spooling it onto something else, and then re-spooling it again. However, there's probably more than half of your line underneath that has never seen daylight or touched water in three years. TOC.

· Registered
491 Posts
T.U.F. Line is amazingly long lasting...I replace my reels every year or two and I still take the T.U.F. Line off the old reels and put on the new reels...the line that was on top (of the old reel) is now on the bottom of the new reel (and it has never seen daylight)...any how...in the long run you save a lot more $ by filling your reels with T.U.F. Line...;)

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Accept the premise that the line is going to last for years.

With that in mind, and the fact that has been pointed out that much of the line won't come off the spool, I think it's a good value to have the proper tension applied by the professional-grade machine when respooling.

That said, I always do it myself.
:shrug:

SC

· Registered
10,928 Posts
My line is 3 years old and I've decided having my line break while fighting a record nook would not be an experience I wish to enjoy. Before trotting of to Joes to get some line, is it cheaper to spool myself or just take the reels in and have them do it? (6500C reels)...
If it matters to you, go get new line, it's not that much money. But it's not necessary. I've got some five year old line on a couple reels, and it seems to be holding up fine. Unless you're a guide, there isn't a whole lot of stress put on fishing line, and Tuff line( and most of the other braids) is pretty durable stuff. Just cut a couple of feet off every once in a while and retie ( I do it once every spring and fall), and you'll be fine for a long time.

· Registered
2,737 Posts
If your worried about your line put it onto another reel, the line at the bottom is brand new never used,putting on another reel the line on the bottom will be on top and you'll heave good line for another 5 yrs !!! and save 30-$40.00. Thats a very good thing !!!!!!:clap:
Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.