IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a lot of guys are fishing topshots over the braided line. I'm wondering if you realy need the topshot? If tuna are that line shy why do all of the store bought clones, plugs, etc. come with 150lb + mono on them?

If you are just looking for something that you can hold onto while boating a fish isn't the leader on your clone/plug good enough for that?

I would think that a line shy fish would be as put off by 200lb mono as 60lb braid.

Or is topshot only needed for live baiting when the boat is drifting? Perhaps while tolling it doesn't matter? :shrug:

· Registered
1,376 Posts
I use both. The past two weekends I have had half the rods with top shot and half with braid. They both catch fish just as well.

The reason I put top shot is when I go to San Diego to catch a charter, the captain's like a top shot because of the 20 or more anglers fishing. You tend to tangle once in a while. With braided line you could slice through the mono of other peoples line. You won't be the most popular guy on the boat.

Then the blind fold and plank comes out.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Yep, exactly what CR dog said. I run topshots to avoid the nasty tangles that can result from trolling multiple lines near each other, and speeds in excess of "normal" trolling speeds.

With mono you can usually un-twist a tangle fairly easy. With braid, you typically only have one option, cut it. I find this especially important when you are fighting a fish.

· Registered
7,063 Posts
I run a topshot on troll gear because a mono is much easier to deal with than braid. It sails less in the wind, and it is much easier to untangle.

I run a topshot or just straight mono on swimbaits and live bait gear because it is less visible in the water than braid.

The main advantages of braid (small diameter, no stretch) aren't much of an advantage for small tuna and the disadvantages (cutoffs, tangles, windage) are large. Line capacity on small reels is an issue for big fish, hence the use of topshot instead of straight mono.

· Registered
84 Posts
I believe (???) that all the other larger tuna species are far more line and boat shy than albacore. So, if there is any possibility of getting into a bluefin bite you might be better off with fluoro leaders and mono topshots. Off southern cal where even private boats chum with live bait after a troll albie is hooked it is not unusual for it to develop into a bluefin bite so it pays to have rods rigged and ready for line shy 40 to 60 lb fish.

Jerry

· Banned
953 Posts
I run straight braid and have for 15+ years, salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, hali, tuna..... on long range trips they used to not like braid at all then top shots for tangles and such of 150', then they started running 100' top shot, then they went to 50' top shots.

Last trip most guys use about 20-25' top shot at the most. The live bait can tow the braided line much easier than the heavier mono. Last trip many times we were using straight braid with a flourocarbon leader to our hook. I think mostly in the beginning they were not used to the braided line, and they have slowly gotten used to it and it is a norm now.

It is very true that mono is easier to untangle, but if I get a bad tangle I cut it off regardless of if it is mono or braid...... at least it is easier to add braid to braid with a very small connection. Braid will definitely cut you and is not needed for the fish we catch, but I don't want to switch back and forth, so I fill it up with braid and go fishing.....

Like most things it is personal preference..... braid has no stretch, and works the drag harder on your reels, mono will stretch and not be so hard on you gear on a take down, the drag wont work as hard because the line is stretching and helping wear down the fish. Braid it is direct connect....:twocents:

· Registered
17,451 Posts
Couple reasons I use a mono top shot.

First if something is going to break I want it to be the top shot - braid will not always break at the knot. When using wind-on leaders I can change a top shot in about a minute.

Next I use them to position lines in the tuna spread. Each top shot is 100'. Corner rods go out to where the serving knot on the top shot touches the tip top guide. On the outside outriggers, we run them till the knot hits the water than clip them into the out riggers. We adjust from there for wake conditions - but it is easy and repeatable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.