IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8,641 Posts
National Geopgraphic is good but you can't down load the maps to your GPS. You can down load way points and the 3d pac is cool. I also have the Garmin software it is ok but not as detailed as the National Geographic. This is easy to use.

· Premium Member
16,587 Posts
I use a product from Maptech called Terrain Navigator Pro. It offers seemless transfer between 7.5' sheets and a "3-D" view (including glasses!!!). If you have quick internet, you can look at the aerial photos that are on the company website. It is a little spendy at $300, but it includes all of Oregon.

Bill

· Registered
3,064 Posts
I've only used Google Earth for the aerial photography, and the hi-def section is restricted mostly to urban areas. For hunters, it won't be that useful until they completely fill out the rural areas of the state. If the area you're looking for is in one of the enhanced areas though, it's very cool. Much of the Metolius drainage, for example, has seamless high definition aerial coverage.

For topo use, I've got the MapTech program mentioned above. My GPS isn't a mapping version, so I don't miss the lack of map downloads. However, you can sync your GPS to the computer and get real-time positioning, which is cool if you've got a laptop you can bring with you. You can also upload and download tracks and waypoints, and have (mostly) seamless coverage of the state.

I'd recommend it.

Ni!

· Registered
14,116 Posts
I have and use DMS & TOPO and both the online MapTech & terraserver sites. I've not used either for the GPS, but then I haven't had a GPS until recently and I never get lost anyway. :grin: Uphill is uphill, downhill down, and up/down river is also easy to keep straight. But being out in the big blue after TUNA!, now there I'm out of my element!

So I'm watching this thread as well. Hopefully to learn how to make my GPS and software work together. I'm real ignorant in this department. Ask me anything about guns, but when it comes to software and GPS's...it's all Greek!

My Lorance FF w/ Navionics Gold chip has everything on it. My hand Garmin handheld is blank. Except for the big bold "CAMP" & "MEAT" icon's I threw down.

If anyone knows of a GPS class at Sportsmans, Joes or Fishermans, post when & where here to let us know.
Thanks,
Hunt'nFish

· Registered
146 Posts
I recently got "Magellan MapSend Topo 3D, Version 1.0" for use with my Magellan eXplorist 500 GPS. The s/w functions fine and downloading maps to the eXplorist is easy. However, the new 3D version lacks many smaller timber company and Forest Service roads that are present on the older "Magellan MapSend Topo for U.S., Version 3.0" s/w.

Hopefully Magellan will upgrade the 3D version to include missing roads because maps from the older version of MapSend won't load onto the eXplorist.

jmcvo

· Registered
590 Posts
Maptech comes out with a special deal from time to time, I got mine for $100. What I really like about Maptec is you can print maps with coordinates around the borders. This allows you to pinpoint your position with a gps and enter coordinates on your gps while in the field. Maptec also has a 3d mode so you can view mountains and valleys as they are, you can turn that view around and 'fly' through areas. It's a nice way to spot benches and get a feel for the steepness of an area. You also get one year free aerial photos which also can be overlayed on the map and viewed as 3d. Even this view can be printed. While in the field I use black and white printed maps as the color maps use up my ink cartridges too fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.