IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening, I decided to take Kilchis down the river for a bit...

On the way out, I saw my dry suit. Already had on my exotherms, so I thought... "What the heck?"

Pulled them on, had Bill zip me up, and off we went.

I went upriver quite far on foot, got in, and floated down, staring into the depths of where I have fished all fall/winter.

How flippin amazing! I am going to put in at the park this fall, and just float fish my way down! This is SO cool, you have no idea! Why a boat? You don't need one!

I am getting so used to manuevering. You can float on your back, and it's like the most comfortable lounge chair you have ever sat in! Or, you can float on your stomach, and gaze into the bottom of the river. I saw cutts, mudcat, old fish carcasses, crawdads, and baby steelhead! It was so awesome!

The amazing part, is that the river is probably 47-48 degrees, and I was as warm and as comfortable as if I were sitting in the house, in front of the TV!

My hands got cold, from paddling, but man! This is so awesome!!!

I practiced trying to cast, as if I had a rod, and I think it will work. At the very least, I can manage holding a rod, and I can keep my gear in my USIA waterproof bag, and just stop off and bank fish, wherever I like!

...and next time I'm going down the North Fork with Jim, and I say, "Jim! Let's fish over there!" and he says, "NO!" I'll just jump ship and go do it anyway!

This is a whole new life for me in the river! I just love it! Even to just stare into the water and study the structure of the river bottom!

Jen

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, Kim offered to come over to the house, and give two or three people at a time, a short course in water safety and survival with these dry suits.

If you'd like to participate, and come over, Bill has offered to be the host, and I'll join him in that venture, plus, I'm trying to get my wits about me to be brave enough to go out in the big blue.

So, if you are interested, post here, and we'll pick a date. We'll choose you in order of who posts their interest first.

I don't know how many classes he will give, but he said he'd start out with a few, and see how it goes.

Ready... set...
:smile:
Jen

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jennie,

I can see it now...this floating red alien apparition comes screaming out of the mouth of the Kilchis, holding what looks like a magic wand...getting towed down river by some crazy salmon...all the while hollering...It works! It works!

Brion

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
Man who needs a tube you need to hit some local trout lakes with a fly rod and see if you can fly fish in that thing. sounds like a blast I dont think they make thme in my size it would take to much materal. :shocked:

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill came down to watch me, and said, "That's the biggest darn corky I've ever seen!"

Jen

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Jen --- Do you use the Exotherm I or II with the drysuit?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Jen,

Let me know when you have 3 or 4 people interested, and we'll schedule one (just not during the scheduled Halibut season days. Let me know you're place or my PC facility would be fine with me. Thank you for your support!

CAPT KUJO

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thumper: I've used both, but last night I was lounging in my exotherm 1's when I gave it a try. I was totally warm. I have to get gloves though, that water is cold, despite the fact that I wasn't!

Kujo: Will do! I have to admit, my first thoughts were, "This is really neat-o, but I'll probably not use it much."

WRONG!

I'm a believer!

Jen

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
We too are mightily impressed with Kujo's stuff. We got both the Exotherm models (I and II) and they go about everywhere with us now. With one of those and a cruise suit (really really bad weather) or the Exotherm and a rain suit (just plain old bad weather) and you are in your own climate. Neat stuff!

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is a cruise suit?

And another question.

I know that you are supposed to wear a life jacket, also.

That kind of bugs me, cuz it seems like it would ruin the effect of the air flotation of the suit.

What kind of life jacket would be good? An inflatable? Those never seem very reliable to me.
I have one, but... what if it doesn't work?

Now, if I wear a plain old life jacket, it will have to be big enough on me to be bulky, to allow for the air expansion in the chest, when you bubble up to float in the dry suit.

Help?

Jen

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Jenny --- Cruise suits are the one-piece suits that are so widely employed in Canada. They offer both full flotation and what used to be called 5X survival (5 times longer I guess). They are worn by the Coast Guard here most of the time. Mustang is the most common, and they are available at Fishermans Marine. Pretty spendy, but well worth it in our worst weather. When I was guiding many years ago I provided them for my out-of-town clients.

If I am not wearing the cruise suit I just use an inflatable and keep it partially inflated all the time.

[ 05-12-2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts