IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last ten days, we have noticed a lot of people fishing the Bouy 10 area and dragging their caught fish around on a rope, like they were hanging sturgeon. With a water temperature running as high as 64 degrees, those fish are probably not the best table fare. Whats the matter with icing them? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We've seen the same thing at Frenchmans. :rolleyes: What are they thinking?? The water temp up there is at least 70 degrees. How long will a fish last in that temperature of water?? It really makes me crazy to see that happening!! :mad:
Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I talked to one guy at the cleaning station that said he bleeds them over the side for about an hour! Maybe he's trolling for sea lions.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
I have seen the same thing. I always start the day with at least three bags of ice in the fish box. Make a big diff in the quailty of your catch.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
On a side note related to this thread.

Ice can become en expensive item if you fish a lot. Take a tip from Johnny the Lurker ( an actual person), if you can.

Fill some biggish( about the size of a cat litter box. But you probably do not want to use the CLB itself
) and drop it in the chest freezer.

Was at his house the other day as he prepared for another excursion into fun. 4 or 5 tubs are enough for the fish cooler and the bait.

If your chest freezer is full of shad, herring, and other assorted fishy smelling stuff you may want to grab a fresh bag for the lunch. But "He Men" ( like John) just use the fish ice. Gives your peanut butter sammies a distinct taste.

A great way to save some bucks for more herring or Alvins.

Mark and the partially frozen dog.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Another thing that works well enough is 10-12 blue ice squares (5"x8"x2" or so). Probably not as effective as smothering them with ice, but certainly allot less expensive over the long run and saves that trip to the store. They last all day and keep the fish pretty cold if you keep them on top of the catch.

SureSet

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
As a side note, the people we saw hanging the fish over the boat were NOT just bleeding them. We Saw them put the fish in the water and it hung there a good 3 hours.

If we have room in the freezer, we fill 2-liter pop bottles and freeze them to put in the cooler.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm not sure if they still do this but McDonalds resturants used to give free ice to anyone with a cooler. Yes, free ice, just ask them.

Pat

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Back in the day, we used to just snag ice from motels. Can't find any unsecured ice machines anymore, though. :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine will fill 2 liter pop bottles, and as it melts he uses it as his drinking water. Other bottles he cuts the tops off and uses to make block ice. He uses Big Gulp cups for smaller coolers.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
If you have the old metal ice trays take the dividers out and fill and freeze, these ice blocks are a nice shape and don't take up a lot of room in the cooler. When you stack them use waxpaper between them so they don't get stuck to each other.

Fishalot

·
Registered
539 Posts
I freeze water in milk jugs. just don't fill full, maybe 4/5 full or so or the tops pop off.. 2 or 3 of these in my fish box keeps the fish cool enough. I rinse em off at the days end and stick em back in the freezer...They are good to go the next morning.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I second the milk jug idea. You can also use 2 liter pop bottles. Taller than a milk jug but thinner.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
ODFG 2003 FISHING REGS. BOOK....DONT KNOW WHAT PAGE ITS ON, BUT THERE IS A SECTION ON HOW TO HANDLE YOUR CATCH. DRAGGING ALONG SIDE THE BOAT IS NOT ONE, I THINK THEY TOUCH ON THAT. INTERESTING TOO ME...(GUESS IM DUMB) DONT PUT YOUR FISH IN PLASTIC BAGS. THE SLIME IS NOT GOOD FOR THE MEAT ! I KNEW THAT BUT....YA, ICE THEM !

HAVE A GOOD DAY !

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
This is a great tip:

I go to a McDonald's Restaurant. They always fill my cooler FULL of ice for free. I get it the night before. All the McDonald's in Salem or Keizer are very accomadating. However, avoid you'll need to avoid the lunch or dinner hours. If it is busy, then they ask me to come back after dinner rush is over.

SKP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts