IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To: 18\' Hewes at 42nd tonite

My intent was not to "jump in front of you" as you rudely remarked. I incorrectly assumed that you would be driving your boat onto the trailer as I would be and the spot I chose would not matter in that case. I also wanted to get a hold of the 2x4 rail to tie up to- the cleats at the end are not long enough to tie up to securely in the wind. I also hurried and got out of your way- I'm sure you were not held up more than 15 seconds. BTW- IF you had pulled your boat nearer to the bank on the dock I could have pulled in behind you and felt more polite myself. It wouldn't hurt to lighten up either..............

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Re: To: 18\' Hewes at 42nd tonite

The main point is "lighten up." I've witnessed too many hot heads at boat ramps recently. Watched one guy in a bathtub the other week literally screaming at these poor women who were trying to get their boat on their trailer. Instead of going over and helping people who were in obvious need of it he thought it best to berate them. What an a--h---!

That said there are also too many inconsiderates out there too. People who don't leave enough room to go around them, people who dawdle on the ramp while others are waiting, etc.

Unless your on your way to a fire the first words out of your mouth should be polite:

- "hey I'm coming around you and don't want to hit ya"
- "can I ask you to back up just a bit so I can load up and get out of your way?"
- "you mind if I sneak in here around you?"
- "can I give you a hand loading up?"
-etc

I realize you shouldn't have to say anything...people should all know what they are doing. The fact is many don't and plenty do but are just inconsiderates. Is yelling at people going to fix anything? Does it make you feel better? I bet not. It taints your trip and makes you enemies who remember it the next time they see you out there. Regardless of who's in the right, it's still best to get in and out without conflict.

GS
West Linn Wader

1 - 2 of 2 Posts