IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening folks:
I,ve been lurking for quite a while; this site is incredible!! My understanding is a newcomer should share a cool fishing story when they first join up... I'd love to, but I haven't really gotten around to actually catching a decent fish yet. I read your posts, check out any new issues of fishing magazines I can find, buy another Blue Fox, then I go get skunked. Not complaining, just settin' out the facts! When I was a youngun, my dad took us out hunting and fishing constantly. We lived in Spokane, and as far as this kid could tell, it was the best! Drive 5 minutes and we were in the woods. As a teenybopper, I started "experimenting" with dope and booze, and the experiment cost me about 12 years that I can't totally account for, except for some misery... sobered up in '89, and really missed being out in "God's country". As the result of recent surgeries on my back and shoulder, I was going stir crazy; doctor said to "walk around in the woods and talk to God". Turns out I can't walk in the woods without feeling the urge to catch some of God's critters; I remember them tasting real fine... to make a long story longer, this fishing deal is more addictive than vodka, guaranteed! I find myself forgetting my waders, but totally willing to wade waist deep just in case there's a fish further upstream that might find my inept offerings delectable enough to munch. I volunteer to go grocery shopping often, GI Joe's right next to Winco! Can't afford a boat, wouldn't know how to run one, but the classifieds are full of boats with all these features that I can't possibly live without! My wife has been pretty understanding, possibly because this obsession is much tamer than she's used to from me (raising Burmese pythons for fun and profit... not much of either, rock&roll band...that hasn't gone over too well). Anyway, sorry for babbling so much, just a little stoked to pick your brains once in awhile. If you are along the north coast rivers and you see a guy crawling on his hands and knees following deer tracks, wondering why he can't catch a fish, but completely content just hangin' out grinnin' like an idiot, say hi, and maybe make sure I have my first aid kit! steve

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Wecome Steve,

Change your moniker man! We're all learning. People here are very generous. Feel free to pick some brains and look for open seat posts. I'm sure there are people here that would love to get a newbie into some fish. My boat is in early project mode, but look for one from me next spring.

Freak

[ 10-21-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Freakwater ]

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Cool, ANOTHER Hillsboro Ifisher.....welcome :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
Steve, you've got to change that moniker.

Welcome aboard and don't forget to spend some time searching the archives. A lot of new folks don't realize that there's three more years of this stuff out there waiting to be mined for pearls of wisdom.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to ifish, you'll like it here. Don't have many open seats (small boat) but you would be welcome. Great opening story

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Steve
I like the moniker. The more I go fishing the more I realize its not even about catching fish. Don't get me wrong....a fish now in then is great, but not really why I go. We are all novices..... some of us just arent afraid to admit it. :wink:
The Real Novice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts