IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to do an overnight fishing trip in the Tillimook State Forest area. I am familiar with the Wilson River, I want to go somewhere off the beaten path, maybe travel down a logging road or something. I will be bringing my trout poll and steelhead poll. Anyone have any suggestions? I really want to stay away from the major campgrounds.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Big E - As a fry ifisher I assume you may not have read all the Tillamook State Forest posts...because if you had, you would know that there are no fish in the TSF due to those dang loggers! And the last place to look would be alongside a logging road!

Sorry...being sarcastic...couldn't help myself. :blush: :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the useless help. The scarcasm is not apreciated.

Let me clarify, I would like to use a old logging road to get to a place to camp and maybe have a fishing hole somewhat near by. I just want to get out of town and away from the recreational vehilces. Anyone out there with usefull help?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Jennie may not like this, but.....

Go up the Kilchis forest road. It parallels the river for a long ways.

Another suggestin would be drive up the Trask River road and explore each fork. Lots of neat places up there.

Secluded.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Big E- the first thing you should do is read the regs. Most all of the streams are closed to all fishing. Only mainstem streams (Wison/Trask) are open and only up so far. Sounds like you want wilderness and fishing at the same place. The Wilson/Track drainage is not the place to go. Everything that is open is close to raod access and has well beaten paths. Head for the Cascades or ??

No scarcasm here, just ticket avoidance. :smile:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Ya- lots of private property down low. Go up by the park, lots of access, some good springer holes. Check the regs. :smile:

·
Registered
17,002 Posts
Big-E, ya probably know this already but generally the Wilson River Hwy is the dividing line (or DMZ) with ORV's predominating to the south of it.

You will like find it quieter to the north.

You'll probably end up camping up some secluded drainage and then having to drive down to the Trask or Wilson mainstems.

There's a new book, published 2002, I think it's called "50 Hikes in Tillamook State Forest", that's handy for exploring the area.

Have fun!

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by GutshotApe:
Just be thankful I didn't correct your spelling. :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh: :laugh:

Good one. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
How about Barney Res.? Shouldn't be any r.v.'s there. Just promise to give us a report on the fishing. Needless to say, weekdays the logging traffic can be hairy. A cb could save yer skin. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Like lilnorthfork said, Barney Res. There are lots of secluded places up around there to camp. We used to camp up there a lot when our kids were little.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you camp anywhere near Barney Reservoir, stay on State or BLM land. Weyerhaeuser doesn't allow camping on its property and you will get the boot.

Also, remember its fire season. Please don't burn up my livelihood.

Thankyou, drive through....

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
GSA, you forgot culverts. Oh, I guess they are put in because of logging. Oh NO!!!! We're all doomed!!!!!! :wink:
<HUGEgrin>

[ 06-25-2003, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone, I will report back on where I actually go. I am going to hunt down that book that was mentioned.

CYA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts