IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OldRedSled,
Head over to crab harbor during a good minus tide and look for the sand bars. You can get a limit of cockles or gapers in very little time. You can drop pots off on the way over and pick them up when your done clamming. When are you planning on going over? I might be able to help you out with some crab pots.

love2fish

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm not a very experienced clammer, but over by crab harbor you'll only get gapers or big cockles, neither of which lend themselves at all to eating as a "steamer" clam. Littlenecks make great steamers and I know there are some over around garibaldi but I'm not sure how many or how low a tide you need. There are other places I know of that I can send you if you are interested that are just Littlenecks (and very plentiful) but they require spring tides to get to.

I've never gone after them but the upper bay has a lot of eastern softshell which I think are used for steaming alot. I think you have to get pretty muddy to get them. Nehalem and Netarts also have them but I don't think people go after them that much.

As for me, give me those fresh littlenecks steamed open and dipped in a little butter over a tough, nasty, hard to clean Gaper anyday!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am dragging the boat over the hills to tillamook for a week of salmon fishing but this year i have been wanting to chase some crabs and clams. can i still get clams? just looking to get a bucket of butter clams nothing fancy. I grew up in Flordia and we dug them all the time so i am familiar how to get'um but not where to get um in tillamook. I have a basic understanding of the popular fishing holes so any directions someone could give would be great, or if i can even take clams right now? As for crabs i did some search on tips and figure i got that handled but i dont have any pots? Is there any where that will RENT me crab pots..?? i hate to have to buy one, i only drag my rig over the hill once a year and i noticed pots are expensive. ANy info would be helpfull.

OLDREDSLED :cheers:

·
Registered
765 Posts
i was going to head over the hill monday and stay until thurs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts