IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With halibut hill no longer a thing, and I don’t want to drag boat to Newport for chicken ranch. Any tips or advice out of garibaldi for all depth fishing? Is it worth it and what depths do you target?
We have had shallow <40 fathom success before but no idea about all depth… any help is appreciated.
thanks,

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,603 Posts
I have heard there are a few new spots that have been found north of the old stand by spot, but have not tried them my self. Rumor has it a few charter boats fish them.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to prove what I have heard, only fish talk!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard there are a few new spots that have been found north of the old stand by spot, but have not tried them my self. Rumor has it a few charter boats fish them.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to prove what I have heard, only fish talk!
thanks. hard to experiment with gas prices today, may try if I have a back up plan Or just focus shallow or other species. Seems tough in this location with little effort And low numbers last year.

·
Registered
Salt water addict
4,603 Posts
thanks. hard to experiment with gas prices today, may try if I have a back up plan Or just focus shallow or other species. Seems tough in this location with little effort And low numbers last year.
The old Hill was unbelievably good. Sure seems like there should be a spot somewhere along the lines there to try. I have heard it's at a similar depth as the hill. Maybe a call to a charter out fit to see if they are offering. Actually ODFW should have some input possibly?
At the hill it took longer to get your bait down than it did to get a bite. The good old days.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There are Halibut around out of Garibaldi in deep water. Most of the productive spots are quite the boat ride though, 25+ miles to the N and to the S.

The nearshore fishery can be fantastic but it can be a major grind too.

I run a charter out of Garibaldi and I usually bite the bullet and burn the fuel to go to the far away spots because they have produced every trip. I will do nearshore trips but that’s only by requests from clients.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the mention on GotHalibut. I hope to add more data here in the near future. I got busy with a new new job and haven't had free time to fish and work on the GotHalibut app, but this kind of interest ignites the fire to get back to working on the App.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the mention on GotHalibut. I hope to add more data here in the near future. I got busy with a new new job and haven't had free time to fish and work on the GotHalibut app, but this kind of interest ignites the fire to get back to working on the App.
Dude!!! Love, love, love it!!! Pretty bummed that there is no current data on there, but excited you are going to add some.
Not even worried there isn't a Android version yet if you get current info on there,
Thanks for this app.
You don't even want to know how many hours I've spent looking thru it

·
Registered
.. / .- .-.. .-- .- -.-- ... / .... .- ...- . / .-. .. --. .... - / -... .- .. - / - --- / --. . - /
3,397 Posts
Over the past 18 years, I found I do not need to run to the deep water hali spots. Of the 34 biggest hali (45 + lbs) I have taking have been inshore located in less than 140' and within 3 miles of shore from I.L. North to the CFMR. Hard bottom meeting sand areas around rock piles and pinnacles (transition zones) are your friend. It is worth your time to do a deep dive into the bayth. and BOEM charts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone! See you on the pond…eventually 😜

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
If you look on Tinman's website, Ocean Coach, he has many of those maps available.

Over the past 18 years, I found I do not need to run to the deep water hali spots. Of the 34 biggest hali (45 + lbs) I have taking have been inshore located in less than 140' and within 3 miles of shore from I.L. North to the CFMR. Hard bottom meeting sand areas around rock piles and pinnacles (transition zones) are your friend. It is worth your time to do a deep dive into the bayth. and BOEM charts.
Nice job Zarn for taking the time and going thru the maps to find some fishing holes! Fun and rewarding to have your time and work pay off like that

1 - 20 of 25 Posts