IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

First of all it was an extremely slow dayout there. Out of about a hundred boats we seen only 3 caught the whole day. Mine was one of them. Chome bright 24 lbs of Chinnok.

The tide was ripping pretty good thru-out the exchange and sea weed was unbearable. We got this one at high slack on herring.

Now for the faint of heart please go read another thread now cause I am gonna make this fairly graphic.

Flavor Nodules Revisited.

There were threads in the past about them white puss pockets and tapioca white doo hickeys. Well let me tell you something. Someone said just cut them out and around and cook it and you will be fine.
The more I tried to cut around them the more I found and was cutting into them and the more puss came out. :mad: My stomach started to really turn. I must have seen about 20 of them in just one side of the fish. I called my buddy over there and asked have you ever seen anything like this? He said no. I said I read about this on Ifish. I have never seen anything like this before and hope I never see it again. You can't tell by the fish in the pic anything was wrong with it like a tule. So I ended up throwing the whole fish in the trash. Oh well. :shrug: What is a guy to do. Say no to flavor nodules and puss pockets.

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Smily, the puss thingy...my boss (Chef) gave me some literature on something like that a week or so ago...i'll see if i can dig it up...It is mostly found in pen raised fish..Great looking fish :smile:
Silvers are right around the corner...get that trolling machine ready !!

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MrDorkfish,
I would like to see that literature if possible. I hope they tell you to dispose that fish pronto like.

The trolling machine is ready to go. Infact I was out there today for a spell in front of the Sandy. Seen 3 fish roll. No biters so no nets went flying today. Hope to see you and your new shiny boat out there soon. :grin:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumpidy bump bump, Back to the Top.

So any one else had any experience with these?

Are they to tasty to talk about? :shrug:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Are ya sure you are spelling pus correctly? :shocked: :wink:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeepers Bernie,
I can hardly look at it and you want it spelled correctly. I think I am glad I didn't take pictures of it cause then I would be really Grossed out!!! :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smily, I caught a 28# URB yesterday on the CR that had the same problem. There was nothing on the outside of the fish that visible upon landing it, but once the fillets were cut there were white pill looking things embeded into the flesh. :shocked: :mad: When popped with the tip of the fillet knife, white liquid went everywhere. I have never seen anything like this. As a result, in the garbage can it went....what a waste!!! :mad:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Smiley, whos boat were you on? what kind was it? what time did you launch?...I and a few other IFishers were out there, willierower, tanner (good seeing you tanner) and a few others.

Glad you got a fish, I think its time to seriously investigate what the white puss pockets are, Depoebaydan! get on the ringer with a biologist would you please, this is starting to worry me. (not the first time Ive read about it here)

"flavor nodules"...funny... but in a disturbing way!

[ 09-29-2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Row Vs. Wade ]

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
saw the same stuff in a Chinook I caught on the Yaquina last weekend. I hadn't heard of this before and I only saw 1 or 2 of them. We ate one fillet and I froze the rest, no side effects but now I'd like to know what it is before we take any fish out of the freezer.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
you guys should submit a filet to ODFW or OSU fisheries for analysis...sounds like something we need to examine more closely.

HC

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Cool. And you could get a purulent, maybe even fatal, human disease named after you. :dance:

[ 09-29-2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just what I want to happen to me.

To die from a disease called the smilies.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Row Vs. Wade,
I was with Lipriper in his boat and with my daughter. We launched out of Old Mill marina on Saturday about 6:30 am. We did meet Husker out there. He had the only Ifsih sticker I seen out there. Would have like to said hi to willerower and the rest of you guys as well.

Thumper,
What disease would you like to call it. Smily Disease ? Yuk, pass the stale Mayo would you please? :grin:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I cannot believe all of you being grossed out by a little pus ( according to C and E ) ball. All you have to do do is cook it on a bed of white rice and add some pasta and serve it hot. Your neighbor will then quit bugging you for fresh Salmon.

My real question is, Where do I go to troll for some of those up river Coho? Does the Ocean really close after Tuesday and is it worth going to Hammond to fish the Saw Dust Pile for a few more weeks?

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just spoke with a biolgist at ODFW, he tells me it's called "Tapioca Disease" and eating fish with the parasite is not harmful to humans. He did ad the he cuts out any larger pustuals, mostly because the "gross him out". (he leaves the small ones)
He assured me there were no harmful effects from eating these fish.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I have caught and eaten plenty of the pus-pocket fish. If I remember correctly, the pockets are always touching or are very near a bone and are never found at random in the thickest parts of the meat. My guess is that it's some sort of calcium deposit or bone deformity. As gross as they are, if the fish is cut up right they are pocket-free and don't taste any different.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yep , I've seen'em. see my post from about a year ago . Some tips from folks who seemed to know a little about them . Absolutely gross and can sure ruin a dinner when your daughter pops into one at the table !!! ooops

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Salmonator,

I don't think you have seen the pus pockets yet like I had seen them. They were at random from tail to gills. About 20 of them on one side. Didn't finish filleting the fish after that. The more slicing when filetting the more oozing that went on. Enough is enough on Oozing!!! YUkkkkkk. into the trash it went.

The calcium thing you seen sounds like part of the back bone you are cutting into. Sure, Trim away and beutiful fillets you will have.

Swampy,
Hope your daughter forgets about the white doo hickeys okay pus balls and doesn't learn to play with them at the table and will still enjoy eating a delicious piece of Salmon from time to
time.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't think the biologists would tell the truth and nothing but the truth anyway just my 2cents, That said I would trim out what I could and eat it as any other.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts