IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Glad you posted. I'm just curious, 3-4 years ago I was tidewater fishing the Trask and was told that the bobber bite was nonexistant and should plunk corkies. Being the bobber addict I am I did not believe what I was told until I fished all day including the low slack. Just as fishing time was about to run out I pulled out the steelhead box and put a small spin and glow with white yarn and smelly jelly sandshrimp and just put the rod on the deck. I almost lost my rod twice with fair hooked fish with in 20 minutes. The next day I started out with the same rig with the same results and was sneered at by the bobber guys as a snagger. I know snagging or flossing when I see it and just wondered if anyone plunking corkies is considered a snagger? I have not done it since because I did not like being accused of something I was not doing. One guy got so worked up I figured we were going to resort to chipping teeth. Your insight would be appreciated.
Randy
PS I been fishing your river, hope to meet you some time. Some people just can't take a joke.

3,877 Posts
******.... Great advice

I will surely print this up an put it in my fish catching techniqes binder

Figuring some of your kin folk is from Kentucky, I consider this very reliable advice to a hillbilly like myself.

Love that bobber fishing... cats, bluegill, chinooks.... its all good !!!!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
****** - Thanks for the insights on "Bobber Fishin for Monsters". Looking forward to learning this. Never tried it but plan on giving it a go this fall.

Great information... Thanks for sharing! :wink: :grin:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
****** to the untrained eye such as mine tidewater all looks the same. What should a person look for in a place to fish??
I fished the Trask for a few days a few years ago and also the Tillimook. I know i was fishing where the fish were as I saw them rolling especially in the evening are there certain locations that hold biters and others not or is anywhere that has fish good?

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I like to fish structure also especially when the current (tide) is strong. Structure is brush, stumps,logs and rocks big enough to hide a nook. Also deep holes with a steep bank. Cast right along the bank.

Tidewater bobber fishing is one the funnest and easiet ways to catch a nook. And you need to have a big boat either.

Good post Rick. :smile:

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Good info ******.

I'm the same way about not setting the hook on every little twitch. But if I know I'm off the bottom and the bobber just stops and/or starts going sideways, I'll set the hook even if the bobber is still on top.

I'd also add not to listen to anyone who says prawns don't work in tidewater. They aren't as productive as a big old gob of good eggs, but they do catch fish and don't get eaten by bullheads as easily. You can rig them up any number of ways, but my favorite is to thread them on head first down to a treble hook. I'll then use some spinner wire to put just a little bend in them. You can also use a 2 siwash hook setup just like you would while trolling, but I still like to use some wire to straighten them out a bit.

If you know of some structure in the spot you're fishing, spend some serious time fishing around the structure at all depths. Also, don't be afraid to run your bobber right along side your boat. I've hooked them when my bobber was drifting no more than 12-16" from the boat.

And my number 1 rule is: Stay Alert! It can be tough if the fishing has been slow, your back is starting to hurt, you're tired of re-baiting, etc....but those bobber down's can come at any time and you need to be on top of it! (just ask my friend who once yelled "WheresMyBobber") :cool:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
One nice tip i picked up in STS was the use of an egg sinker on top of your hook with a bead in between. They will paint the egg sinkers to resemble corkies. The advantage of this versus a weight in between the bobber and leader is the egg sinker will let you see a bite better if a fish takes your offering and goes up. Your bobber would float sideways easier cause of no weight between hook and float. Anybody employing this method?

I have found i like the West Coast Floats the best for less volume with more float and more stealth.

Another interesting tip in there was the use of electric motor and a driftboat for bobber fishing. Put your bobbers out there and sidedrift along with your bobber at the speed of the current/tide and search out the biters.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Rick,

Excellent advice. I agree with using 40# leader I'm curious what you like to use for the mainline. Fifty-pound Tuff line is my favorite.

Mark

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Very good information Rick. Hospital hole is always crowded if the fishing is decent(and when it's not too).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I haven't fished it for awhile but upriver from the 5th Street put-in used to be good for bobber fishing. The Stump Hole and the Two Bit Hole were good. I think they are both arount 25ft. deep and hold some nice fall Chinook. Get there early as they get very crowded. Bring some rope and you can tie up to the branches along the bank.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Oops!! Double post!! :blush:

Dipnet :grin:

[ 09-30-2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Dipnet ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Good info Rick. That's one way I haven't caught a salmon, on a bobber. That will be my next method to try!! :smile:

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I have never tried this kind of fishing for Nooks but have always wanted to. It sounds appealing enough and seems to be productive. If any of you find yourself feeling the need to do a good deed and get me started, I will gladly return the favor for a winter or estuary sturgeon trip

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you guys catch many silvers in tide water with bobber and bait

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Chris,
We talked about trading Sturgeon trips out of Astoria last year and never got together. I have been fishing Tillamook for more than twenty years now and know a lot of the holes down there. I have caught fish with herring, spinners, quick fish, corkies and bobbers. I find myself fishing down there by myself in my 19’ ThunderJet a lot. If you want to get together and play around down there let me know you are more than welcome.

Dave

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Excellent informational post, in the true spirit of Ifish.net.

Thank you ******!!!

TR

1 - 20 of 34 Posts