IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there ever mounted a through-hull transducer on an aluminum boat. In this case, it's a Humminbird Proangler 400plus on a Starcraft so the bottom is not too thick (< .100").

The literature I've read says you can't do it but I know I talked to someone in the past who did it and says it worked fine. I just can't remember who it was.

Thanks,
Biederboat

[ 07-05-2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: biederboat ]

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you leave the boat sitting in salt water for long periods of time you do not want to use any bronze thru-hulls or bronze transducers in an aluminum hull as severe corrosion problems will result.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The method I had planned on using was to epoxy the plastic transducer to the inside of the hull in the bildge area. There would be no metal-metal contact.

Biederboat

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Biederboat,

I try and avoid any holes in the boat below the waterline. Nothing good can come of a hole in the boat.

You should be able to mount the transducer at the transom and run the wire up and enter the boat above the waterline.

On most aluminum boats, there's a 2" lip of the hull plate that sticks out. Mount the transducer on the bottom of the hull so it's even with the end of the hull plate, drill a hole in the 2" overhang to bring the wire up.

Brion

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think people are misinterpreting what I'm trying to do. On a fiberglass boat, you can epoxy ("glue") a transducer to the inside hull surface, usually in the bilge area. The literature I've seen says you can't do this for an aluminum hulled-boat (it doesn't state why). However, I know I talked to someone who did this and says he got good results, I just can't remember who it was. The benefit is you don't have the drag of the transducer, less prone to damage (mine broke because the break-away mount didn't function correctly) no holes in the transom. Plus, mine never did read real well because of the spray and I don't have the lip you're talking about.

I've contacted humminbird but I have found they don't always have good answers.

Thanks,
biederboat

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have alum. drift boat and just bought a portable eagle depth finder.in my directions it said that you can mount to inside of your hull.
anyway because it is portable i took my drifter out to about 30' of water and pressed my transducer to the bottom of my boat and it seemed to work fine.the sensitivity seemed to be a little less but not bad.in my depth finder book it recomended that you go out to at least 60' of water and anchor then try it inside and outside of your boat.if the sensitivity does not change much you are good to go,if it does change alot they recomend you dont mount it inside.
hope this helps.
david

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks David, it does, I may try that. I guess as yours in portable the transducer isn't glued to the inside?

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Beider,

I also have wondered about this. In the reading I have done, I have gotten the impression that aluminum is less successful for through hull mounting, due to the specific gravity of the aluminum being too different from water. However, I've never seen anything definitive, and neither my Eagle's or Humminbird's manual said to not mount on aluminum for thru hull use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts