IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Go Cougs ,,, i couldnt resist.. i dont have a answer to your question but i like your team.. joco

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
Very slow.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
OOPS

[ 10-02-2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Has anyone been up there backtrolling this week? Has the bite improved?

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Just got back....

except for two boats who appeared to do have it absolutely dialed in, it was just a beautiful day for a boat ride.

Of course, watching the bankies slay the keeper-size sturgeon all morning was a treat!

TR

·
Registered
152 Posts
Let me guess. The two boats were a red Alumaweld and a white drift boat? I swear those two have some mojo that I can't compete with. Worst part is, I've fished with both those guys and don't see what they are doing that is so different. Actually, one of them is one of my vendors and I have even threatend to switch companies if he doesn't tell me his secret. I'm thinking about calling his boss and having him put a little pressure on him. If I go up there one more time and watch him catch fish while I sit on the sidelines and watch I may just leave a bannana peel in his anchor locker. Or maybe I'll just continue to bum rides off of him and catch fish. Good luck to anyone up there. I think I'll go sturgeon fishing.

Later,
Trent

·
Registered
266 Posts
Were any of the boats fishing for sturgeon? I'm heading up tomorrow with my boat for the first time, and am pretty excited about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
From one "Coug" to another wasn't last Saturday great.....GO COUGS....We were sturgeon fishing last Sat. at Bonn. with several close to keeping but just a couple inches short....one nice oversize ....plan to try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
anyone up there today (saturday)? We came back from the coast a day early - looking for todays reports.
thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
Don't know if your asking about Salmon or Sturgeon since both are on this thread, but we were up there today Sturgeon fishing. Low clouds and fog didn't break up til very late afternoon, with a pretty steady west wind so it was pretty bumpy in the current and had to run your kicker. Fished both the current early, and then a deep pocket off the current later. Fished it "backwards", letting the wind lay us out. Got lots of shakers in both places, and one 48 keeper. Most others I saw were getting shakers too. Used both squid and smelt with scent. This was in area around The Fishery.

G

·
Rusty, first time, try Oregon side Horsetail Falls or right on the downriver side very tip of Skamania Island. (Island right be low Horsetail in the middle of the river) Stay out of the channel. You don't need 400 ounces and safe water for first timers.

Stay safe and wack em.

Rick

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
salmon

[ 10-04-2003, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: wetaline ]

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the info ******. I didn't see the reply till after the trip, so we just winged it. (I need to pull out my charts to learn all the land marks, like Horsetail Falls.)

The weather was a little harsh, and I learned first hand that the launch at the Fishery has a nice drop off on the right hand side. (It was after I put in the boat that I noticed the orange warning cans pushed off to the side with the warning sign facing the wrong way. When I get home Toni points out that people had already posting warnings about this on ifish.)

It was still a fun day on the river (my first view of the Gorge from a boat.) We ended up taking home a 44 inch sturgeon and released several shakers. I also witnessed several over sized fish roll right next to the boat (very cool), what looked to be a 6ft fish caught by the boat next to us, and several attempts at oversized fish from the bank.

My fishing buddy gave me a leason on cleaning sturgeon. Those are some really unusual fish, but I just love the meat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts