IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of you asked to see a picture of my boat. Well here she is, along with the story of how and why I built her.

I'm a Union Journeyman Carpenter. I've pretty much built everything a carpenter could build in the past 25 or so years, from new houses in the 70's and 80's to huge commercial stuff like bridges, churches, hospitals, and commercial "tilt-ups".

Well, about a year ago, I ruptured the lower two disks in my back pumping concrete for a tilt-up project. I pretty much spent the summer in pain waiting for SAIF to decide what to do with me. In the late summer I had back surgury and that pretty much fixed my back. As it turns out, I won't we able to go back into contruction. A couple of months after surgery my back was feeling better, I was really going stir crazy and I needed to do something. I had been thinking of building a boat for years, so now seen as good a time as any.

I picked up a set of plans for the "Nez Pierce 16" from the designer, Ken Swan in Hubbard, OR. Even though I am a carpenter, I wanted a design that wouldn't be too difficult for my first time. This boat is perfect for the first time boat builder, even if you're not a carpenter. The plans say aprox. 80 hrs to build. I didn't keep track of my hours, but that seems about right. The frames are clear fir. Next time I'll use mahogany, the fir splits to easily. The sheer (sides)and bottom are 3/8 okume marine plywood. It has white oak rub rails on the bottom The gunnels and stem are mahogany. I decided that it need a little jazzing up, so I used purple heart for the breasthook and knee braces and black walnut for the gunnel spacers and rowing chocks. Everything is glued with thickened marine epoxy, and fastened with silicon/bronze, square drive wood screws.

What they don't say is how long it takes to finish the boat. I took me at least as long to finish it as it took me to build it. I finished her with two coats of marine epoxy inside and out. When I was done, every single piece of wood was "encapsulated" with epoxy. Thats the key to a wood boat that will outlast you. Since epoxy is sensitive to UV, I topped it off with 5 coats of marine spar varnish. I wanted a little color besides natural brown so I painted the bottom and up the sides 4 in. with Petit cream colored bottom paint. At the interface between the paint and the natural color on the sides, I applied a 1/4 inch red pin stripe.

All in all, it took me about 3 months off and on to build my first boat. The budget was a bit higher than I was shooting for. I thought I could do for under $1000, and it ended up being around $1300. Mainly because of my inexperience with epoxy. I ended up using 5 gals total. Man when that stuff decides it's time to set, BAM, the cup gets so hot you can't hold it, it gets hard, and you just wasted 25 bucks worth.

Was it worth it, you bet. I needed the therapy, and I love the way it turns heads behind my truck and on the river.

[ 05-12-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: Woody ]

·
Registered
389 Posts
Beautiful boat!! You have reason to be proud of the work that you have done. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I've never seen a triple post before LOL! It's ok it happens

NICE BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I keep scrolling back to the pic. WOW!

MH

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I once built a drift boat. Not near as nice as your project by any stretch. Nice job!!! Sorry to hear about your career in carpentry ending. Hope you can get redirected at something you enjoy.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Man you know how to get a hobby wood worker all fired up!!

A life time dream, Good job.

·
Registered
14,336 Posts
I love your boat Woody and I have from the first time I saw it. It is so rare now to see craftmanship like this and a wonder to see it in a boat.

What are you going to replace the old Johnson with?

[ 05-13-2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: Pilar ]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Woody,
Great looking boat! I hope my 16' power dory turns out as nice as yours. There is something to be said about building your own boat. Once again great job and i'm sure you will enjoy many fishing trips to come with her.
chumsalmon

·
Registered
980 Posts
Nice boat, Woody!

You know,there's only one problem with building your own wooden boats: you can never build your last one. :grin:

(Or maybe that's a good thing? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Woody,
She is a beauty! I, for one, would really love to see a few more pic's if you have them.....

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In case some of you don't know already, here's a little background on my relationship with Pilar and how that led me to ifish. Soon after I completed my boat, I took it out for several shakedown runs on the willy. I was using a 1955 25hp Johnson to power her. Every thing worked great. She popped up on a plane with 4 people, and cruised at 30 mph according to my GPS. Cool, time to put her in Tillamook bay and go crabbing!!

After a couple of hours of cruising around the bay pulling traps, The old motor started to kick in and out of forward gear. I should have headed back and called it a day, but I didn't. Well before long, I lost forward completely. The tide was going out and I knew we were in trouble. In a vain attempt to at least get out of the channel, I started motoring backwards. Just when I thought we were done for, Pilar and his mate pulled up and offered us a tow. Talk about good timing! At the ramp,my wife and son and I thanked them. They said it looked like we were in trouble, so they helped us. Seems like such a simple concept right? I can tell you, when you are in a situation like we were, and a dozen boats have already passed you and just stared, what they did was anything but simple. Stuff like that scores you major karma points Pilar.

I thought that was the end of it until my wife heard from a coworker that our adventure was on ifish. I logged on, signed up, and here I am. I have to tell you, besides be a great place to connect with people with a common interest. This is a community im the truest sense of the word.

By the way, I sold that old motor the next weekend, and I'm still looking for a replacement. If anybodys got a DEPENDABLE 20-25 hp longshaft, let me know :wink:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Beautiful boat! I would also like to see pics of the inside if you ever get a chance. :cheers:

RF

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paddlefish, You are so right. I'm already thinking of the next one and the one after that. First, a little rowboat for my soon to be retired Dad. Then a big, 25 ft or so, modified V dory with a wheelhouse and a cabin for me.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Woody, that is one FINE looking vessel! You have every right to be proud of it. That took some well honed skills to build, no doubt! :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Great looking boat, I love wood! I took on a similar project about 6 years ago and it was incredibly rewarding. Nice job. Does this sound like a familar internal monolog? "but if I just sand that little corner of epoxy for another 2 hours it might be perfect...."
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I can see it now - leading the 5:00 news: Disabled carpenter on workers compensation disability builds wooden boat uses it to pull crab pots...(sorry, I couldn't resist :grin: ) Beautiful boat - reminds me of all the pretty Dory's at PC.

[ 05-13-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Killer, I made sure that I was released by my doctor before I started. I've heard too many horror storys.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ripple, I thought I had mastered the concept of "time to stop, it's good enough" from my drywall and painting days. But you're right, sometimes I would find myself working and then reworking an area until it was just so.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts