IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are so luck to have a fishing partner...what makes him or her such...

1. Is it their company
2. Is it their fishing skills
3. Is it because each of you have different boats to share
4. Is it because your married to them???

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My best fishing partners are the ones that show up on time, bring their own lunch,
and stay afterwards to help clean the boat.

It also helps if they know how to fish and don't get sea-sick! :wink: :wink:

-assAssin-

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Luckily my wife and I both enjoy fishing and on our day to spend together, that is usually what we choose to do.

I do however have a few other select fishing buddies that I will fish with on Fridays. To me it's all about getting away and relaxing. I like to speak my mind and do my own thing when I am away from the grind. I think anyone you feel comfortable enough to do that with would rank as a fishing buddy.

Sharing boats would be a nice thing but the guy I usually fish with is boatless so I am always the guy doing the boat duties. My wife however insists on anchoring duties and backing the trailer down so that really helps out a ton.

I like a fishing partner that is not afraid to lob out something different from the norm when the Salmon bite is slow.

I like good conversation and a bond that somehow makes the two of you on the same page when it comes to getting things done like netting, trolling, etc.

If anyone is lucky enough to find all the qualities that I mentioned above, hold on to that fishing partner, they are priceless

[ 11-05-2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
someone who will show up on time.... and if they do have to cancel will call the nite before, not at the time your suppose to be leaving. An OFFER of money for boat or truck gas wouldn`t hurt every great once and awhile either. someone who can go for as long as I go and does not ask " what do ya think? should we be getting home now? :mad: .......some of the reasons I like to fish alone.
........I am my best fishing partner. another reason I like my little boat, no problem launching myself and does not cost a fortune to go fishing. tight lines to all with a big one.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Let's see now.... Mine are.....

1. Has patients with me.
2. Know that I might not wake up on time, but am on the way.
3. Brings me lunch and drinks.
4. Doesn't mind if I sleep
5. Brings the boat rods and bait
6. Lets me puke all I want & takes me in when needed
7. Lets me pee on land and not in a small little urinating tube that is smaller than a soda bottle
8. Buys me breakfast before going out.
9. Knows what to do incase of a FISH-ON!
10.Lets me complain until he is so sick of me he won't let me fish again in his boat.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Heck, if they know some off color jokes, bring smoked fish or jerky or cheese for snacks, know what a Moose Drool is, want to go fishing whenever I do (always) and share their best lures they are about perfect.

The ability to catch a few fish is good too...

Having a nice warm camper to thaw in is a bonus.

I have 2 fishing pards that fit the bill. A couple others aspire to greatness, but fall short on occasion.

I met on of them through ifish :grin:

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I use one word

TRUST

Apply that word in every scenerio you can think of.

# Can trust them to be on time ?
# Can you trust them to net your fish ?
# Can you trust that they will help clean the boat at the end of the day ?
# Can you trust them to run the boat or save your life if need be?
# Can you trust them to keep zipper lip holes to them selves?
# Can you trust their friendship?

·
Registered
516 Posts
1. Brings food to share. (Everything on my boat is there for anyone on board to share. I hate it when someon "guards" their snacks.)
2. Brings enough warm clothes that I don't feel bad enough that I quit fishing.
3. Willing to offer an opinion but also willing to respect mine.
4. Show up on time.
5. Does not give their other half a hard fast time he will be home without telling me until we are already underway. I understand the family thing but an advanced notice of deadlines might changes my strategies.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
no matter what the weather he says when and where!

always shows on time instead of late or not at all!!

shares expenses on tackle and bait when needed.

every outing is a chance at 1 upmanship :wink:

and just the comeraderie of being a good friend!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
1. A nice Boat!
2. A sure hand on the net!
3. A killer lunch maker!
4. Shut up and keep your line wet, Ill do the rest!
5. A good lucking lady never hurt!
SMILES

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
Able to go fishing is a pretty good trait. I'll start with that. As everyone I know is having kids or has kids, it can be hard to get someone to break free.

After that, I don't want anything more than I do in any other friend. Should be decent people, and not too much of a general screw up. I can get past most anything else.

·
Administrator
119,501 Posts
Someone who doesn't consistently outfish you. :smile:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok....since ya'all have defined the traits of the perfect fishing partner....one thing I forgot to ask is I'm in need of one...willing to interview...

[ 11-05-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: NETONE ]

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
1. A guy who leaves his cell phone at home
2. A buddy who shares costs, tips ($ and fishing kind).
3. "ON TIMER"
4. Knows how to run your boat(s)
5. Knows how to and when to net a fish
6. Will run the boat(s) after he has limited.
7. Knows how to back a boat trailer down "ANY RAMP"
8. Has functioning gear and good tackle.
9. Shares portions of his catch.
10. Never leaves fish to find fish.
11. Knows ocean and river courtesy and has knowledge on both.
12. Knows how to run a GPS, Fish Finder, VHF, compass and CB correctly.
13. Knows how to rig bait and brings along plenty of it when not fishing in his boat(s)
14. Enjoys a good joke and can take one as well as dish it out.
15. Does not brag about how expensive his outdoor toys cost.
16. Respects his wife, job and family
17. Never would consider doing anything dishonest/unethical or against the law.
18. Respects your fishing abilities and past experience.
19. Doesn't drink enough for anyone to notice.
20. A guy who leaves his cell phone home. Yup, that was mentioned earlier but MAN I HATE IT WHEN SOMEONE CALLS or makes a call to either home, work or buddies to brag.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A loving wife who loves to fish with me. Just her and I enjoying the day regardless of how we do. Being together and enjoying each others company. :smile:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
1.) The tip should be commensurate to the total cost of the trip. Thus if I spend $100 on gas, oil & bait, I sometimes get the guy who chips in by covering the $3 launch fee.

Although, if they don't have the money I don't mind covering everything. In that case, I just enjoy the company.

2.) Showing up late really irkes me. Nothing worse than missing a morning bit, because someone can't get out of bed.

3.) A good fishing partner will realize there is a reason for the things you do and not question every move you make. It drives me nuts when a guy insists on fishing his "own" 7.5' rod off the side of the boat when I know it will get tangled in the rod at the back of the boat. (trolling)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Tacklebuster Wrote:
"I like a fishing partner that is not afraid to lob out something different from the norm when the Salmon bite is slow."

I totally agree.....I like a fishing buddy that isn't afraid to try new tactics.

Someone that likes to choose their own setup, instead of asking...so, what do you think we should be using today.

A buddy who tries to out fish me, not one that says, "I don't care if we catch anything". Honestly I don't care if we catch anything either, but I don't want that kind of attitude in the boat....it simply makes the bite non-existant.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Top Ten Qualifications of A Fishing Partner:

1) Ability to retrieve items that fall out of the boat.

2) Generally quiet demeanor.

3) Ability to be wet for long periods of time without complaint--even in winter.

4) Lack of desire to complain about poor fishing.

5) Willingness to get up well before dawn and return home well after dark day-after-day.

6) Willingness to eat yesterday's leftover lunch items without hesitation.

7) Ability to confine physical presence to a very small portion of the boat.

8) No desire to laugh when inevitable backlashes, snag-ups, flubbed casts, and missed strikes occur.

9) Ability to exhibit excitement even at 3:00 A.M. when faced with horizontal rain, gale force winds, and dismal fishing prospects.

10) Unceasing loyalty.

Too bad only my Lab has all these qualities! :grin: If he could only row so that I could fish. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts