IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all this post is reactionary so bear with me and take out some merit.. second of all umm well it's me so take off some merit for that.
thirdly i have been in sleds and enjoyed it.. so take off some merit for that.. lastly i am talking about sleds in small rivers or when big rivers get small.. Columbia/ Chehelis guys and guys going out towards the bay from tidewater this is not directed towards you..

1. It's better for bankies if I go faster. Bogus!

2. My boat doesn't spook fish it stirs them up so they bite better . HA!! false!!!

3.. I can free drift a quarter mile downstream and still have first dibs on the head of the run.
*LOL* talk about selfish..

here is the real skinny.. stay as far away from bankies and as slow as safely possible.

Running over fish in shallow water scares them makes them skatter and are much much much less inclined to bite.

If you float through a piece of water you cannot reserve what you have left behind. if i come around the corner and want to plug it i am going to.. If you wanna fish there more then anchor up...

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I agree partially. The operator of the boat (sled) should be courteous when at all possible, sometimes it is not possible to go slow in shallow water though.......

John

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
On the Rogue, it all depends on who you encounter.

I can not tell you how many times I have slowed to an idle only to have some yo yo go into coniptions flailing there arms motioning me to speed up and yelling to "get moving!!!"

There is simply no pleasing some people I see on the river.

On the other hand, some are very courteous.

Further, fish with me on the lower river in late summer, early fall and I will prove to you that often the half pounder bite picks up once a sled or tour boat passes through.

Tolerance for all can go a long way as can courtesy to all.

Now, how about a thread on how SOME fly fishers make themselves feel better when wading through Redds or how SOME drift boaters make themselves feel better when dragging oars through Redds?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Comments and questions.

1. How fast is too fast?
2. I cast behind sleds when they go past me on plane. Sometimes I pick up fish even before they are out of sight. I think prolonged noise in an area is worse.
3. I don't think this one is debatable.

Personally, I prefer to fish where bank access is limited, and I avoid skinny sections with lots of bank access.

G

·
:mad: "Now, how about a thread on how SOME fly fishers make themselves feel better when wading through Redds" :mad:

Sick 'em Dog, I'll be right behind you hitting them in the shins :grin:

This never fails to **** me off.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Keta,

It never fails to amaze me, and tick me off either.

Almost seems as if it is getting worse instead of better as the years go on.
I suppose it has to do with more people in general.

From the "I thought I had seen and heard it all" dept. came a doozy a couple of weeks ago. Some guy with a bow and arrow was shooting spawning Salmon right below the footbridge just down from town. (Tussing Park) He got all huffy when my buddy explained that was probably one of the more stupid things he had ever seen. Thanks to cell phone technology the bowfisher was still huffing and puffing tough talk when the city cops dropped in for a visit.
:hoboy:

[ 11-02-2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Nicely said Stray-dog.
There is always some pompous jerk that think the way he fishes is the only way. The river is big enough for us all as long as we respect each other. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sparce gray hackle.. I couldn't agree more but what i am saying is that when the water is low and guys in sleds are running up and down the river they are violating that very principle... you cannot be respecting someone and at the same time be running your boat full throttle through the water they are fishing..

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
I own a sled now. I used to run a drifter( better than 20 years).

Sometimes, sled operators do indeed step on some folks' toes. Some bankies and driftboat folks have little or no idea how a motorboat HAS to be operated in shallow water.

Powerboats and rowboats are not real compatable for most folks.

Rowboats and trolling sleds( going slowly over the fish) spook fish more than a fast moving boat.

Here in NW Oregon the sleds can run the Willy, Columbia, the coastal areas( bays usually), the Clack and the Sandy. When I ran a drifter, I stayed away from those areas that sleds run until rivers dropped enough that the jets stayed away. It worked well for me. I have access to many more rivers in a drifter than a sled is allowed to run. At least within a short drive.

I used to run the Clack in a drifter in the fall. But when river levels came up to 12'( low sled levels), I went back to the coast and rowed around there. Less headaches to deal with.

If I go past you, I try to think about how I affect your experience. But a 4000 pound load does have to be operated in a certain way. And there are times when I simply have no choice but to plane thru on the only available line. If you are standing at rivers edge at such a spot, be understanding. Move to another spot. Or be mad at boaters all day.

Mark and the 2 cycle dog.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flatfish

Here isn southwest washington there are two rivers for boaters to choose from. The Cowlitz and the North Lewis. Thats it all the other rivers at the time of year I am talking about are too small even for driftboats. There is no option for drifters to "get away" from the sleds. and when the river is 1500cfs or even 2000 and the sleds run all the way up the river then back down there is literally no point in fishing they have scared every fish in the river because at that level it's too small for sleds ( in my opinion) They ruin the fishing for everyone else. The fish do not recover from being spooked this way they are virtually uncatchable after that. I have seen it time and time again. I start at the dam flaot down and have good fishing til i get to the first sled then notihng the rest of the day. It's so predictable it happens every single time..
That said there is a huge section of the North lewis that never sees a drift boat but is great sidedrifting sled water but the sleds are always up where the river is small ruining everyones day.

Anyway all I am asking for is a little courtesy just like everyone else wants. There are certain times and places you cannot take a sled and be courteous. maybe thoes are places a sled shouldn't be at that time...

Not trying to start arguments just trying to get people to think about what they are doing and how it affects other people and if what you do does affect someone negatively ask yourself if you should be doing it.. I do this to myself all the time in all areas of my life. Just suggesting others do the same..

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Rob:

I question your conclusion that sleds put fish off the bite. Perhaps the most effective way to fish the NFL, in terms of fish per hour per rod, is boondogging. That method requires running up and fishing back over the same water multiple times. As the guides know, that produces fish. If fish were too scared to bite, I would think that boondogging would not be so productive.

I would be interested in knowing your specific concerns about the NFL. I run my sled there year-round. What areas do you think we sled-types should stay away from in the low-water months?

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
I agree Thumper.........

I have caught fish in a run I had just motored through and in fact have caught fish with my big motor still running.

Rob, not trying to incite and I like your theory of living life not to interfer with others. However, consider the people in other boats, sled or otherwise, that want to boondog or side drift water you are plugging. Nothing wrong about it but you are interfering with what they want to do. Not saying it bad or good, it just is!

If everyone did their fishing with the sole intent of not interfering with others, very few could fish. I think keeping interferance at a minimum is more reasonable but the best and most productive approach is more tolerance for those that may, at least temporarily, interfer with your fishing.

[ 11-03-2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Rob,

I run both a sled and a drift boat. I don't like guys running on plane over my lines either, and will do what I can to avoid it. However, I just don't buy your assertion that fish go off the bite once they've been run over. I have caught way too many fish on the river I fish when I and other people have been running around all day. Day before yesterday I fished a hole with ten boats running around in it all day, including us. We hit over 15 fish.

I'm sorry that the wake intrudes, and I wish it didn't. I shall certainly use every effort to minimise the impact. But for now, I have the legal right to use the power boat, so I shall.

Sadly, we all have an impact, even if it's only to wipe the anticipatory smile off the face of the person behind us when he comes around the corner to see us alreadly in the slot. The bankies feel impacted by the drift boats. The drift boats hate the sleds. The little sleds hate the big sleds. And we all hate the guy who caught the fish 50 yards downstream that would have been ours if we'd gotten there ten minutes earlier (if our worthless buddy had been to the ramp on time!!!)

Now, as to what I say to make myself feel better(it's a joke, folks...):

1) "We'll be off the water and getting burgers before his frozen butt gets to the launch. See ya..." :wink:

2) "See how little wake I throw at 45 mph?"

3) Redneck's last words: " Here, hold my beer and watch this..."

4) "Can you turn up the heat a bit and show me how to recline this chair?"

5) "What else you got in that cooler?"

6) "Fish on. There, there, there...!!! Cracker."

7) "Don't those poor guys look cold?"

·
Registered
315 Posts
umm...well first I was on the bank for many years, even developed an "attitude" towards drift boats & sleds. Then I purchased a drift boat, applied my bank attitude, been great, then purchased a sled..applied my bank & drift attitude...yet to have a problem...Excpet from the more narrow minded bankie....some things will never change no matter how one trys. Can't tell you how many times , pass to the inside, hug the far bank, run the kicker thur the hole, NO NO plane thur.......damed if ya do dam if ya don't..

I even last year MADE it a point to idel up below the bank guy(s) ask where ya want me to pass, 50% OF THE TIME GOT ATTITUDE, just for asking...so will this issues ever be solved...not until both parties walk in each other shoes...Maybe its time to go by a sled...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am sorry you had a bad encounter(s) with a power boat operator(s).

As with for your points of contention, I think the situation(safety and courtesy) dictates the behaviour of the boat operator. Sometimes the operator is trying his best to honor these principles and it is perceived incorrectly. As for fishing down on someone, I hate it. I have had bankies and boats do it to me. :shrug:

[ 11-03-2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: BrokeItOff ]

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Well Rob,

since I am not too famaliar with the Washington rivers I will take your word for what is driftable and what is not.

If it were me, I would

1- Buy an Oregon Lic and drift the Clack and Sandy til the sleds return there. Good fishing there with minimal competition( realtively speaking).

2- Fish from the bank on a river that is not driftable or sledable( is that a word?).

3- Buy a pontoon boat. Those things can go anywhere pretty much. A lot of first water in the world with one of those. This is a better option than many realize. Especially when you realize that 600 bucks will get you a good ride that is ready to fish. If I bought another rowboat today, it would have pontoons under it.

4- Buy a sled. I did because I was tired of fighting the crowds on the driftable rivers. I have more quality options now than I ever had in the rowboat. I work less now than I did rowing too. Which my lazy side thinks is great.

5- Buy a big screen TV and watch my Cowboys win every superbowl for the next 10 years( thru thick and thin, fans are fans LOL).

Some folks on the Cow would argue Thumpers point. Clancy books 2 trips a day during the peak of the summer runs at Blue Creek. That is a lotta unspooked fish.

Dawn caught a fish yesterday that a sled had ran over no more than 15 seconds before she hooked up. She actually cast in between the wake of the boat.

I understand your frustration with mixed use rivers. Listed above is not an argument. It is in total honesty what I would do.

Sleds are a lot like Jet Skis-Everyone on one is a jerk...Unless you are the guy riding it. Then they are a good deal.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
While I can say my trips to the NF Lewis have been few (2), and with the water at 2400 cfs...there was plenty of water to traverse the river by a sled. Don't know how low I'd wanna do it lower than that, either, until I get to know it.

But...

I think if your attitude is every time you see a sled the bite goes off...you should just give up and go home. Attitude can make or break your success.

I spent many years operating a driftboat on sled-able rivers that were actively sledded. Yeah...the waves were a nuisance..but they never stopped me from catching fish. Like someone prior mentioned above...they've caught fish within sight of that passing sled.

I'll bet within 10 years, if you don't have a sled, you'll be wanting one.

Fact is...some are courteous, some are not...and some can't slow down where you think they might be able to.

My 2 cents..

Mark

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have owned a driftboat for years, fish the bank and now own a sled. I try to remember what it is like fishing in each situation and be as courteous as possible but I have come to one conclusion. You are going to upset some people no matter what you do so don't worry about it. Do what is safe for everyone and have a good time. Smile and say hello. As far as spooking fish, when I fish the lower Deschutes for Steelhead I love to throw a lure in the wake of a sled. :grin:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts