IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard debate back and forth regarding whether it is legal to use WD-40 while fishing. Some folks thought that it wasn't, due to what is in the stuff being a pollutant. So, for the sake of accurate information I went ahead and emailed ODFW. This is what they had to say:

"WD-40 is not an oil based product. It is not illegal to use."

I also emailed DEQ, but have not as of yet heard from them. If I do, I'll post that, too.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
DEQ will tell you it is a hazard and they can enforce it. I've never heard of any action taken against anyone. In other words, there are no WD40 police with binoculars.Yet!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I heard from a guide that two people he talked to last year said they were ticketed for using WD-40 in front of Sherrifs. He said the two guys, (clean cut business looking guys)were ticketed ($175.00?) for using WD-40 on lures. He said the guys looked honest and had no reason to lie to him, about getting the ticket. I am interested if any Ifishers have been ticketed for similar reasons. ~SK~

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Not oil based??? Ha!

·
Registered
67 Posts
It has 2 petroleum based ingridients and is listed as Class D Hazardous Material. Legal or not, I'm not putting in the the water!

[ 04-11-2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: umrules ]

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've heard stories about people getting tickets just for having WD-40 in the boat! Don't know if I believe them or not....

Officer, the WD-40 is for cleaning and lubing my reels... Yea, that's it! :grin:

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I usually give the plugs a little shot. The guy I took out wednesday just couldn't believe that it didn't scare every fish out of the river. After the second fish, though, he was a believer.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You can get a ticket for getting ANYTHING is the water that leaves an "oily sheen". Fuel, oil, WD, sardine oil, gramma's fruit cake :sick: , don't matter! It's also illegal to use an emulsifier to make that sheen go away. :hoboy:

Now on the other hand, I have a hard time believing that having an oily substance IN THE BOAT would get you a ticket (well - maybe Gramma's fruit cake should be illegal). We'd all be out there in row boats if that was the case. Pretty hard to run a motor without petro products! :whazzup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts