IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
119,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maximum exhaustion over this one.

Ever search for a host? It's excruciatingly difficult and tiring. So many prices, so many different offerings and choices.

Here is what will be happening in the next few weeks at ifish.

I have to be off our current server by Friday. (Gosh, that gave me five crunch days to find a new one... eesh!)

FACT: Ifish NEEDS a dedicated server. We attempted to go with a Virtual Private, and it did not meet our expectations. I am very concerned with snappy useage here at ifish, and will pay to keep it that way.

So... In speaking to several companies, in order to get GOOD bandwidth, it would cost me between 500 and 1000, depending on different configurations, machines, bandwidth need estimates, and service options for backups, tech support etc... (So many more little details, too!)

I was offered a very good deal, and decided on that, (Almost have signed on the dotted line!) with Opus Interactive, who is also bringing us our Ifish ISP services.

I will buy my own server, and they will rent me space and bandwidth, to store it. So Ifish will OWN it's own server! That's kind of fun, and we'll take it out of the server fund raiser we did last April.

Then, I will pay them a monthly fee, just for the bandwidth we use. I will keep my current system administrator, who will need to move ifish twice in the next two months. Why? Because I have to be off of this server by Friday, and my new server will not be delivered and set up with Linux for another 14 days.

That's where Seasurf comes in. Don has offered to sell me a server and bandwidth for two weeks to cover us while we are waiting on the server. YAY DON! Thank you! :smile:

So, sometime in the next week, we will be moving over to Seasurf, and we might expect some downtime and perhaps some slowing, as ifish discussion board rebuilds it's cache.

Then, in two weeks, when my new server is delivered and configured, we will be moving again to Opus Interactive, where we will reside on two big D 3 pipes! :smile:

My new server will be a Pent 4, 512, with Scuzzy drives, and mirroring. We will back up nightly sequential files and do a full backup on weekends.

Wow... I'm a pianist.. How did I learn all this stuff? :smile: Perhaps I haven't... I'm sure I misspelled or mis applied something there! :smile:

Anyway, that's the story. I fished today on the Nehalem, holding a cell phone in one hand, and a rod in the other. Didn't catch any fish, but it was a pleasant atmosphere to hold conferences!

Does anyone have any Excedrin?

Jen

[ 07-15-2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Administrator
119,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pete has suggested a Martini instead. Only problem, I take two sips of drinks and get silly. If I get silly, I might change my mind, and go with another company. Hey! I've decided everyone... Leave me to my Excedrin! :smile:

·
Administrator
41,368 Posts
Excedrin, straight up, on it's way!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Good luck, I can't even get to my mail archives after IT played with my system and you're moving ifish? Good thing I didn't have any important stuff there (like fishing info). :hoboy: :cheers:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Wow, Jennie, thanks for working soooooo hard to keep Ifish viable. I've been through the different ISP / Provider scenarios a couple of times and it ain't fun.

It's kinda humbling to know that someone(s) are working awfully hard just so some of the rest of us can have such a great place to share and enjoy our pastime. Thank you!

And, Pete, I see your fingerprints all over this deal as well, along with others I may not see, so let me tip my hat to you also.

If I can ever help, please keep me in mind.

Thank you all!

Skein

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Since my best thing is to DELEGATE, you G0 Girl!

We've been in your capable hands from the beginning on this site, and it's working just fine from what I've seen.... You and the Mods are a great team, and you're all doing a Great Job! :cool:

If there's a slow down, or some off-line time, we'll all just have to go feeshin' until Ifish is back online. :dance:

Cudo's Jen...... We'll be here! Tim :smile:

·
Administrator
119,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been officially notified by the Geek of Ifish that it is pronounced SCUZZY, but spelled SCSI...

SO WHAT, GEEK? Getoutaheuh! :smile:

I knew I'd blow it... I just knew I'd blow it. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Geek should know- he a real SCSIBAG! :grin: :shocked: :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Jennie,

I happen to know someone at Opus Interactive on a first name basis! (Take my word for it, I really know someone in the highest position at Opus!!) Great people, great service.

I hope many ifishers switch to your ISP and reap the benefits thousands of others have using Opus!

Rusty

·
Registered
218 Posts
What a travesty that the current ISP wouldnt extend your date by a couple of weeks. One move would have been far better.

Seems to me to be a very bad business decision by the "old" guys to kick you off like this. If this is typical example of their customer service, then it is good that you are leaving them.

Good luck with the move(s). We'll all have our fingers crossed for you and understand that there may be a few glitches along the way. If nothing else, we fishermen/women can be quite patient.

·
Administrator
119,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, they had their hands tied, as they have to move, also. They are very sorry, and are moving me once for free. I have to pay for the second move, and that's fine. I'm not upset with anyone. They gave me good service, and did well by ifish. It is unfortunate, and a hassle but no one could help it, under the circumstances.
Sometimes life is just tough, but it just makes us tougher! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm sure moving ifish will be stressful; doubly so because you have to move twice within such a short period of time. Hopefully, this will be the last move ifish will have to make in a long time. I also hope that you realize that even us newbies appreciate all the time and effort you and the mods put into making ifish the treasure that it is.
Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts