IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got rid of the skunk. It's been 3 weeks since I touched a springer on my boat. I killed it Friday 4pm with a 16 lber :grin: Then on Saturday I lost a nice fish, now normaly I'd be up set, but after that dry spell--I was thrilled to death that one would hit. Then today I got a 12 lber. Now I know the skunk is dead!!!
First fish ---MC---herring /fish flash--9ft
second (LLR)--MC---chartruse/green dot spin--14ft
third fish---MC---chartruse/green dot spin--14ft
That was a long dry spell, I'm sure I got that out of my system! :dance:
Terry

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:dance: Way to go Terry :dance:

Been there done that dont want to go back :grin:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Way to go and doesn't it feel oh so good!!!!!!!
:dance: :dance: and then go after another one or two.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Nice drought breaker. I go on droughts pretty much all the time. But when they break, they break. Nice catching......

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
TerryH,

Congrats on the end of the drought and the downrigger success. I'm going on a mission this week to get back in the groove...nothing since April 29.

Been using the green dot spinners on a herring rig and on a prawn rig, both on the downrigger.

I got the 10'6" Lamiglass pole. I see what you guys mean. It's bends in a nice half moon crescent. Also got the 12lb ball and putting the line in about 80% into the clip.

Looks like I've been going too deep...set at 18 feet and you were way up there at 9-14 feet.

How much line out in back of the downrigger and how deep was the water.

Brion

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brion, In frustration I was trying everything.
I thought the boat might be spooking em, ran 40 feet behind the boat---hooked one. We ran 3 rigs today, can't run that far back ---ran 14 back ---caught fish. So much for spooking the fish with the boat.
Some people down here just run there rigs at 12 -- 14 feet and just cover water. I ran the gear at 12 --- 14 ft ignored the bottom where I usually catch fish. 1st fish hooked in 30 ft DR at 14. 2nd fish hooked in 16 ft DR at 14. 3rd fish hooked in 21 ft DR at 14----I think I might see a pattern.
Ya know, when I started fishing springers in about 79, the "old timers"( I might be one now)
said fish at 10 to 14 ft. I hate to think that after all the trial and error, they were right!
Remember the shad are coming, they are Gods gift to the spring salmon fisherman. We soon will be able to go out and catch a fish ----ignore that you can't eat the darn things.
Terry

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Terry H,

14 feet...interesting...thanks. I've been setting at 18 feet figuring that was where "12 pulls" (24 feet) of line with a lead was sitting.

I've was getting marks around 28-32 feet and moved the rigger down there.

I'll go for the 14 feet on the rigger next time out. I'll have some crew this week so I can put out the rigger and some leads and see what happens.

Brion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts