IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the best "fesh water" fishing day of my life on Tuesday with Scott Amerman and a co-worker I took along.

Started the morning on a very "Little" river that rarely gets fished. This was a judgement call by Scott. It was well worth the time and could have been great under the conditions but did not pan out.

We decided to head up to the Zipperlip in question. Please, there are no zipperlips. If I fish with a guide I wont name the river. If we have been following this board we should know some of the Tillamook area rivers for fall fish-Wilson, Trask and Kilches. It should not be too hard for us to figure out when they are going to fish well.

We got to the river at 11:00 and hooked up every time we dropped bait. Never dropped anchor once. All other boats around us had the same results. We proceed to hook approx. 30 fish (all Chinook except 1 Chum, all in the 18-40# range) with 5 or 6 doubles. Backbouncing eggs.

Broke a rod (my rod)and line on a 40# fish that had the rod bent at a bad angle under the boat when I was lifting. Grabbed another rod that was baited and started at the top of the hole. Landed a 42# buck on that pass. A little dark but he was bleeding so we kept it. Cut well.

I dont take a camera with me any more. Scott has the pics. He'll send them to me. Im curious as to how the 42#er looks on camera.

All the fish we released were released at the boat quickly with out a net. If they were bleeding we kept them. 3 hens, 3 bucks.

Drifted the Wilson the next day in my boat with IFISH member LOOKASTAR. Was not my day but managed to get Jack a 30# bright buck. I saw alot of fish caught between Donaldsons and Sollie on Wednesday by both bankies and boats. The locals said Tuesday was the better of the 2 days.

One of the best parts of my trip was hanging out at the guide shop early evening Tuesday. Spent a half hour talking to Gary Hilton while fileting my fish. Had a great meal and talked to Pete and let him know how much I enjoy there service. I bought a new Loomis BBR from him to replace the 983 I broke. Had high hopes of testing it on Wednesday.

Scott Ammerman is a fine guide and worked extremely hard to keep us in the water at all times.

· Registered
1,803 Posts
Jeff

Cool post saw your other post and was thinking man that good one day then that slow the next:bigshock: I was watching the heat over there, you got flamed on the other thread. Then someone linked to this one and I found out you had fished with me. :shocked: Heres a picture. Send me and email and I can send you the others I took.

For all the haters or angry people that people out there because someone else won't list the rivers they fish. Its pretty simple all the rivers have good numbers of fish in them after the first real rain of the year. If you didn't get out and fish after the rivers came back in you should have, and still should. I don't care which river they all have had lots of fish in them. Everbody I have talked to that have been fishing have been catching on all the rivers up and down the coast. We fished in Tillamook on the zipperlip river that starts with a W ends with a ILSON and it was just us and about 50-100 boats each day.

· Registered
21,998 Posts
Thanks for sharing the rest of the story smoky. And nice hookset this morning with the other post.

Amerman, what was your excuse the second day? :jester: :wink: :wink: :wink: Just the way it happens sometimes. With a 30 fish day I would have certainly thought chums. My question is that did you land all 30 or is there another story such as take downs, lost fish. Just curious. Man if that were 30 fish to the boat in one day then arms must be sore and feet floating about a foot above the ground after that. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: Good show! :cheers:

· Registered
1,803 Posts
Amerman, what was your excuse the second day?
If you read his story, he fished in his own boat and not with me the second day. For me it was close to as good or better the 2nd day. More doubles than the day before and a couple triples and quads missed (not landed).

My question is that did you land all 30 or is there another story such as take downs
It's hard to keep track when it happens that fast. I would guess we landed between 25-30 and lost a few others (dozen ?), We change 26 leaders ( we counted them off my pre-tie spool) and fished 3 hours.

· Registered
14,715 Posts
I was there that day and it was off the hook.

I was alone in my boat for 2 hours. My first 10 baits resulted in 7 landed and 2 missed. 1 bait didn't get bit because I fished the tail out into 3' of water. It was as good as fishing can possibly get.

We took rotations for a while. Not a secret spot. Just good bait, applied properly on what I'm sure was the best day of the year.

Scott is a legend because when it's good, he's good. When it's tough he's even better. :cheers:

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Hey, good job there Smoky!

You passed us in the dark on Wednesday,unless there is someone else out there braggn' about 30 fish below the...well you know where.

We were the fools with the lantern, heater and loud conversation.

If Tuesday was better than Wednesday, I'm glad I missed it, my arms, back and neck are truly soar from those mean fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.