IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some people slamming me lately saying I should not give away my catch...
well take a look at what it got me.

Last Sunday just as I cruised into the dock at John Day my throttle wire broke :mad: I called Steven's Marine on Monday morning and talked to the service manager Scott. I told him that I really wanted to fish on Thrusday and Friday and asked if I could bring my boat in for the repair right away.
Even though they were busy he told me to bring it right in. He told me he would see what he could do about getting it back by Wed afternoon. Well last I got a call yesterday afternoon that my boat was ready to go!
:dance:

Scott I hope you enjoy the sturgeon and smoked salmon buddy! :grin: Thanks for taking care of me right away! Another great service job by Stevens Marine and Alumaweld! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That is only because you are famous and have your picture in FH News :grin: !

It does pay to give away a little fish now and then. I don't eat fish, so all that I keep are given away. What goes around comes around.

Keep fishing and keep posting those reports, it helps me get through the week until I can go.

Scott

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
5-Cents, you have to let the slammers and what they say roll off your back like water off a duck.
I don't do near as well as you and your pals when it comes to catching fish.
I have given away half or more of what I catch each year. I have friends who don't fish but love a piece of fresh salmon once in awhile. Many of my neighbors are in their eighties and can't get around as well as they once could. They really appreciate fresh fish when they can get it.
And, it does bring rewards down the road. Sometimes just the feeling you did something nice for someone else.
Keep up the catching and give some of the catch to those who don't have access to it normally.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I fail to see a problem with giving away fish. I don't like frozen Salmon so what I don't eat either gets Smoked or given away. Relatives and Neighbors love it :smile: Beside it always seems to pay divadends.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Shane, sharing fish is one of the great pleasures of fishing. None of my neighbors fish, so they don't have access to the bounty of Oregon's waters. But they never turn down an offer of fresh or smoked fish and they return favors for the gifts. In one way, I hope they learn to appreciate our natural resources vicariously and maybe, just maybe, when it's time to vote on resource issues, they'll remember what it's all about.

As for Scott and Stevens, I've valued and appreciated their great service since long before I ever heard of Ifish.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
My neighbors, friends, family and employees all support your position Shane.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
it great so see the smile on thier face when you give them a nice big pice of salmon sturgeon or halibut

·
Registered
584 Posts
Where do you find all of those pics, graemlins, etc...??? You seem to have something new every time you post.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Its your fish... you paid for it one way or another....I give my neighbors, co-workers and friends fish whenever I have a good day.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I give away almost all of the fish I catch. I dont eat it much and only if its fresh so if I didnt give it away the rest would go to waiste. I have a lot of happy neighbors that seem to always be outside when we return from a fishing trip. :grin: I see no problem with giving away your catch and neither do my family/neighbors. :wink: :tongue:

I don't do near as well as you and your pals when it comes to catching fish.
I have given away half or more of what I catch each year. I have friends who don't fish but love a piece of fresh salmon once in awhile. Many of my neighbors are in their eighties and can't get around as well as they once could. They really appreciate fresh fish when they can get it.
And, it does bring rewards down the road. Sometimes just the feeling you did something nice for someone else.
Keep up the catching and give some of the catch to those who don't have access to it normally.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I just wanted to add that i couldnt have said it any better than reeldick has already stated. I have one neighbor in particular that is on dialisis <sp> and the only meat she can eat is fish. You should see the look on her face when I show up and give her a whole chrome bright salmon. That is all the thanx I need and would over rule any slamming anyone could dish out to me.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

[ 06-05-2003, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: MasterCaster ]

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
We had a fellow offer us a fish that they said they had to release, as they were apparently tagged out at tongue point. We declined, (I like to catch my own), but it occurred to us that he may have been upgrading. The fish that he might have had to release was probably bigger than the two they had caught earlier.

My mother asked if it was legal to do this, accept a fish someone in another boat caught. I told her no, but I am actually not sure.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Leroy, Catching a fish out on the water, not tagging it and giving it to someone else is NOT legal even if that person is going to tag it. The law is the person who lands the fish has to tag it. The fish I give away have all been tagged and are legal fish.

I think the problem people have with giving away fish is that they think if YOU <the person that went out and got it> are not going to use it then why keep it. My answer to that is its my tag space, my gear, my time and money spent to get that fish. If I want to keep it and give it away that is my choice and there is nothing wrong with it. Thats why they have limits on how many you can keep in a year/season unless its hatchery fish on a hachery card, then they are hatchery fish anyway and put there to be caught and kept.

My $.02

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

[ 06-06-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: MasterCaster ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts