IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really ticked this morning when I read that we "shellfish gatherers" should pay our way.
Who does Harry Esteve of the Oregonian think started this whole thing? Also "...and anglers, who have paid licence fees for years..."
Maybe I've got this interpreted incorrectly, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sent a nice note to Mr. Esteve regarding the
article and how many who partake in the harvesting are eager to pay their part.
His response was:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katy,
So noted. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and will
keep it in mind if and when I write about the shellfish issue in the
future. Thanks for the note.
--Harry Esteve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I feel that he understood my point.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Here's the article.

I don't think that I understand your concern, posh II. His quote is:

Its chances of passage remain unclear, although there is widespread sentiment among hunters and anglers, who have paid license fees for years, that shellfish gatherers should pay their share.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">There have been discussions around here in the past where we generally believe that shellfish gatherers should pay a nominal license fee to help pay for the costs that the shellfish program takes from the ODFW. Five bucks to get shellfish, per year, is a bargain.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the article infers that the "shellfish gatherers" don't want the licence.
And I think the momentum for the licence was started by people on this board emailing and attending meetings. Prior to the opening season which never materialized last October, there was a big push to get a licence.
I am very well aware of what has been discussed here as I am one who did a poll and sent all the responses to the WDFW which were mostly in favor of a licence as long as it benefitted shellfish
issues. This was also a MAJOR point at the Tillamook meeting where so many ifishers turned out over a year ago...that seems a hundred years ago.
Supposedly, there are many
business people in Astoria who do not want a licence because they feel if we have to pay we won't come. I know where my heart is on this issue and if you do a search you will see my concern
for the resource goes way back and my willingness to pay is a priority.

[ 05-23-2003, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: posh II ]

·
Registered
492 Posts
In my opinion it is high time that shellfish gathers pay thier way in Oregon. I lived in Oregon for 30 years and dug clams for 20 of them. It seemed that OSP had a plethera of officers patroling the clam tides. In fact, I believe over the years I saw way more enforcement of the clam digging than I ever saw in any other fishery.

The part of the clam license program that I find very offensive is the proposal to use the DOLLARS WE PAY FOR COMMERCIAL INSPECTIONS. Why should the sport diggers pay one cent toward commercial inspections or enforcement. If they need more money oversight of the commercial fishery they should raise the cost of commercail licenses!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
watch them just through it on with the salmon/halibut/sturgeon tag and raise it another 10-15 bucks..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Tyeebuster
I understand your feelings but I think you may want to recall that we have something in the range of 40 to 50 commercial diggers on the same beaches we sports are on. According to the OSP officers we have spoken to on these beaches, the vast majority of these commercial clams are sold for crabbait. The chairman of the ODFW board put it in perspective when he said" I have to believe there is a better use for this resource than that". Well so far nothing has changed. As you will sooner or later find out there are several groups who are doing what they can to push for shellfish lic. fees. The problem is in the legislature where coastal businesses are lobbying
to kill the idea. Some believe people who don't really fish, won't be coming down and spending their money if they have to buy a tag. Well the way it seems to me is, if there are no clams or crabs left to bring those folk to the coast, they won't be coming anyway. We simply do not have enough enforcement to keep the resource safe and the only way to get it is with money. I can't tell you that these fees won't go up no matter how modest they may start out. Who knows where the money will go, I keep getting surprised all the time. I suppose the best thing to do is at least TRY, so lets fork over some bucks and see what happens. It can't get any worse or can it? One thing for sure, this legislature isn't going to give you a lot of confidence........in anything. But this is just my opinion and nobody really asked me anyhow.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Its really hard to believe that "No one" will dig clams if they have to buy a license. If that were really the case Long Beach would be deserted during every clam opener.

You are right, the clams would be better used for something other than crab bait. My point is that if the beachs really need enforcement (which in my opinion they do)then the people digging on the beach should pay for the enforcement. If the commercial diggers require "extra enforcement" thier license should cost more to cover the expense. In fact, if most of the clams dug by commercial diggers are used for crab bait, maybe they should not allow commercial clam digging.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Tyee

Your right on the money........we don't need commercial diggers on the Oregon Beachs. Squid
works great for commercial bait for crabs. Clam
digging need not go away for two decades like we just got over. Keep those people coming to the beach for these little treasures. Let those people help return prosperity to our coastal communities and let those who love to eat the razor clam go home with their limits. Sport crabbing.......keep the commercials out in the ocean. Give those foreign boneheads dumping the oil out of the belges of their ships a 10,000,000 fine. Commercial fishers are honest hard working folk who need the sportsmans help. I hope that sports and commercials learn to help each other for the good of all. But then, maybe I hope for too much.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The only coastal business opposing the Shell fish lic.that I know of is JETTY FISHERY. They want all and do not want to help the resource. They even suggested we cut the limit of crabs in half. Gee they could rent there boats faster. The shell fish Lic. bill was introduced by Senator Joan Dukes from Astoria. With the backing of thousands of out door folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts