IFish Fishing Forum banner
561 - 580 of 634 Posts

· Registered
1,844 Posts
Doh Boy -- excellent, excellent post. Perfectly on target with the issues and information. That is what I found when I went to their web site as well. This is only round #1. They have already laid out .. publicly announced .. plans to work with the 2023 legislature to further gun limitations and, if those fail, to get further anti-gun legislation on the 2024 ballot.

· Registered
3,420 Posts
Portland has an epidemic of "felons in possession of firearms" committing crimes. The six links below are just from the last week! Why aren't the anti-gun advocates protesting this? It is obvious that criminals do not care whether there are gun restrictions or not. It is already illegal for them to possess firearms. But yet more laws are enacted which only restrict the gun rights of law abiding citizens.

This epidemic of felons in possession should be making headline news. Am I the only one seeing this pattern? And it repeats week after week, year after year.

Portland man with 18 prior felonies sentenced for illegally owning a gun

Portland Police arrest three on reckless driving charges; 3 illegal guns seized

Suspect arrested after dangerous high-speed car chase through SE Portland

Suspect in deadly SE Portland shooting arrested on murder charges

Suspect arrested in shooting on Portland's Eastbank Esplanade

1 man, 2 teens arrested after Portland police discover loaded weapons in car.

· Registered
761 Posts
This epidemic of felons in possession should be making headline news. Am I the only one seeing this pattern? And it repeats week after week, year after year.
No, you are not the only one seeing this. But the liberal line is that we have too many people in jail. It somehow makes more sense to them to take guns from law abiding citizens than to keep the law breakers locked up.

· Registered
2,632 Posts

· Registered
1,361 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
Remember it's the guns fault!

Saw this similar story on (2) local news channels last evening; seems all one has to do to get coverage is schedule a press conference and they come running. Interesting and disappointing that yet again, the 'story' was very one-sided and slighted against Harney County with absolutely no mention of WHY it is being held and why the AG is not responding/acting further.

· Registered
4,217 Posts
How is it that you have been part of this discussion for so many pages now and not know "diddilysquat" about LEVO or that they are the authors of BM-114 or that they have openly announced their next goal of banning semi-auto firearms?

-E-

Your assertion is correct. I did not do as much due diligence regarding LEV Oregon as I probably should have. I should have been better informed. I did not vote in favor of BM-114. As I have stated many times I have very little trepidation about someone coming to confiscate my guns. I continue to resist hyperbolic inflammatory rhetoric about 'they taking away my gun or my gun rights". By the same token I have been watching gun related issues my entire life. Concluding that I have my head in the sand because I disagree with you or don't share the level of concern you have is patently wrong. I completely understand the settled law and the nuances of same. I would have paid much closer attention had I had any fear the boogeyman was seeking to confiscate my weapons. Hyperbole about this type of thing is something I don't react to. Discussion is best when it is fact based, not sensationalized to maximize the fear quotient.

I am currently attempting to get some clarity about the LEV Oregon mission statement. I believe a lot of the fodder for all the anxiety comes from that. In the first part of their message it references military style AR semiautomatics. In the later part it references banning 'semiautomatics'. I tend to believe the second reference was a reference to the first rather than referencing our upland bird and duck/goose semiautos. Perhaps someone can clear that up for me if LEV doesn't get back to me promptly. Obviously attempting to ban all semiautomatics of whatever ilk would be a woefully wrong turn no sportsman of good conscience would ever support. I don't want a ban on AR platform firearms (although we have already endured a 10-yr. ban which didn't change my life one iota).

I do support efforts to put these firearms in the hands of responsible adults, not proven criminals, not psychologically disabled misfits, and not domestic abusers. I don't support the position that we all just shrug our shoulders and say we simply must take the good with the bad and therefore no one has any business saying who gets them (background checks and loopholes). I don't go around barking about 'inalienable rights' or whatever the term is. Firearms are lethal killing machines and I would like to keep them out of the hands of the mentally ill or criminals as best as we can.

For all those people out there that believe as I do that certain guardrails should be attached to ownership I think the issue tends to be more of a mechanical one. How to go about doing that becomes the issue. For me personally I am willing to offer up some inconvenience if I can contribute to that end. I felt that only parts of BM-114 had any chance of offering that, therefore I did not support it. By the same token I never for one minute felt it had anything to with my constitutional rights. I have the right to possess firearms under our constitution. I am also not an idiot. I fully understand what would constitute incremental erosion of rights, the nibbling if you will. No one has been successful in taking away that basic right.

When I render the whole thing down it doesn't really matter to me anyway. I ignore a lot of the white noise of cries for banning guns, legislation, etc.....I have always had an ironclad personal commitment that I would never surrender my guns to anyone period so a lot of this stuff doesn't get my full attention. Regardless of what goes on my guns aren't going anywhere and I have enough. I don't live in fear. Nor do I look upon my guns as anything other than what they are. They are not a lifestyle I feel the need to advertise with stickers on my truck. They are not a social statement. They are not something I am proud of. They are simply nice, pleasant guns. I get to have them because I am an American. I love to hunt and I can protect myself and my family and my country if need be.

As a side note, nobody can deny that Americans have a pretty big thirst for gun control right now. With every mass shooting coming up or heinous crime that thirst is going to grow. Essentially the gun hard liners that carp about nobody is willing to listen or negotiate or whatever are apparently the minority. The more rigid the stance becomes the more polarized the camps will become. We are living the success of their anti campaigns whether misguided or not. At this point I think responsible collaboration is going to bear a much better fruit than hyperbolic rhetoric. As far as taking shots at me, I think you already know I simply don't care that much about what someone else thinks. I just try to be honest. Having said that I also try to listen pretty good to make sure if I need to make adjustments based upon more information.

• Sad
Reactions: garyk and SquarePeg

· Registered
1,361 Posts
Ive been checking in on LEVOs IP18 on their site on a regular basis to see what they are saying. It seems to me and if my memory is correct, it used to read "semi auto" from when I started reading it around voting time, to "semi auto assault" as it currently reads.

Got to keep an eye on them!
The wording may change but the goal is still the same.

· Registered
2,976 Posts
bluedog, first of all as you may have noticed they ARE coming for folks guns in Illinois.

Second, you say you are sanguine because you’d never surrender your guns. That’s not how it would work. They would, say, ban your semi auto shotgun. Nobody will be jack-booting your door anytime soon. That’s a fever dream. But you will never, ever, hunt with or even recreationally shoot it again. It will never leave your home. You will not hand it down to your kids. You will hide it it your home like a common criminal, because you will BE a common criminal. Your wife may not be real thrilled about being married to a potential felon. And Lord help you if you ever use it in self defense at your home.

In short? You’ll cave and turn it in.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
I cant discuss, compromise, or even reach a common ground with a lot of people on this issue, due to them not being able to separate emotion, from fact.
Terror and revenge, are emotions, mass shootings are terror events for the most part.

I think it pretty simple to understand a 7500 lb F-250 is more lethal in a mass killing sense, and easier to get, than any semi auto that is readily available.
But that doesn't work as well to play on peoples emotions.

All you will do with bans and restrictions, if they were enforceable, is change the tool, and possibly the venue.

I am OK with the current back ground checks, even though I think they do little good. It is enough from a state perspective.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
The word compromise is being used by some on this forum.
Compromise, in my understanding, is give and take for both sides.
What does the other side compromise, ever?

If I compromise on say 10 round mag limit, they now get a legal guarantee that I cant have more than 10 round mags?
What is my legal guarantee they wont come after more?
See the fallacy? The reality is there was no compromise on their side.

If you can argue that they will compromise with a legal guarantee , please explain your view of how this will be done.

· Registered
7,240 Posts
Just read this. Big loss for gun rights in Illinois today. I sure get tired of people calling AR-15s military style weapons. People that write these articles clearly have never been in the military. This is your future Oregon:

Probably wouldn't be called that if they didn't resembal military weapons so much. People complain about it then go out and buy another like it, kind of like flipping the rest the bird and saying I can do as I please.

561 - 580 of 634 Posts