IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 630 Posts

· Super Moderator
21,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is where all related topics regarding Measure 114 will take place. If you start a thread elsewhere it will not be moved here, it will be removed. We are having to babysit and deal with too many threads on this subject, so to have it all in one place it will be more manageable. Please adhere to the AUP. We know the topic is political, but it's important to our recreational choices as hunters and fishermen. This means keep it civil and on topic.

· Registered
352 Posts
I still have a handgun ordered from Cabelas, however it has 15 rd standard capacity magazines, they don't stock the 10 round magazine model. If she blocks this measure I will have my handgun if not I won't. This has never happened to me in my 72 years on this planet. A month ago I could have purchased without any issues. What a difference a month makes.

· Registered
91 Posts
Reports just in that the judge granted a 30-day stay on the permit to purchase system but all other components of 114 are still in effect as of 12/8. The major downside to the latest surge of arguments is that it moved the conversation from whether this is constitutional to whether this is practical.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
I still have a handgun ordered from Cabelas, however it has 15 rd standard capacity magazines, they don't stock the 10 round magazine model. If she blocks this measure I will have my handgun if not I won't. This has never happened to me in my 72 years on this planet. A month ago I could have purchased without any issues. What a difference a month makes.
Unfortunately, I saw the handwriting on the wall as soon at this measure made the ballot. I made a couple of rifle, shotgun, and pistol purchases assuming that if 114 passed, it would be a nightmare. This is one of those rare times I wish I wasn't right.

This measure should have never passed. We all know that the 4 biggest counties were going to overwhelmingly vote in favor of. I just feel that if more voters outside of those counties showed up, the outcome would've been different. Each vote counts, and 114 is a stinging dose of truth to that.

*Sorry for the rant but I'm still not over it being passed...

· Registered
9,572 Posts
All of this trying to stop gun violence when it will likely make some responsible gun owners law breakers without ever impacting criminals using guns. It just goes to show you how uninformed our society has become. I'm hoping a judge puts a stay on implementation, until this goes through the courts. And as one media attorney said it could be years maybe 10 to 12 years before we have a final outcome.

· Registered
217 Posts
What I find absolutely messed up about oregons ballot measure system is that, some group or person from another state can come into oregon and fund these measures no matter how poorly they are written or how unconstitutional they are and if they are passed it is the tax payers of oregon who have to pay for all the legal expenses when a measure is challenged. This measure was not written by elected oregon politicians yet the costs are dumped on oregon tax payers to defend this measure in court. The group that writes the ballot measure should be the ones defending the measure in court all the way until a judge declares they do not violate any laws or the constitution not the tax payers of oregon. I think the oregon tax payers are owed restitution from the people who wrote and sponsored this measure for pushing a measure that clearly was heading to the supreme court system. It did not pass muster and they knew it would be challenged but pushed it anyway. Sadly the tax payers of oregon are going to be on the hook for millions before this plays itself out.

· Registered
6,590 Posts
What I find absolutely messed up about oregons ballot measure system is that, some group or person from another state can come into oregon and fund these measures no matter how poorly they are written or how unconstitutional they are and if they are passed it is the tax payers of oregon who have to pay for all the legal expenses when a measure is challenged.
The second biggest funder on the measure was the teachers union. the NEA put forth $500K

Reactions: gofishcamp

· Registered
6,590 Posts
One of unintended consequences from this is once you obtain a permit to buy you will defacto have all the requirements for a CWP/CHL. So now every gun owner will potentially be packin.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
One of unintended consequences from this is once you obtain a permit to buy you will defacto have all the requirements for a CWP/CHL. So now every gun owner will potentially be packin.
The person will still need a background clearance by the county sheriff's department. But other than that, yes, you're well on your way to obtaining a CHL. Not sure if that's a consequence or benefit though?

· Registered
17,245 Posts
Judge has denied the request for stay order on 114, but granted a 30 day extension for the permit system/process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this legal for a judge to do? This would be like rewriting the law, it should have been a stay on the permitting portion of the law.

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Is this legal for a judge to do? This would be like rewriting the law, it should have been a stay on the permitting portion of the law.
I’m no legal expert, so I don’t know.

I’m trying to link the judges order. Let me know if the link below doesn’t work

Edit: here’s a news link about the order and opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 630 Posts