IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove right past some great looking water on the Nestucca Friday to get to the Trask. Got to some nice looking water and started fishing.

Now a little back ground: Last year I dropped some good money and bought a nice Lamiglass Kenai Special. Love the rod, but had not caught a fish with it (with dozens of hours fishing). Caught some on my other rods, other people's rods, but not the Lami. Really thought it was cursed. Bad, bad juju.

So about five minutes in on Friday, I hook up just long enough to feel the head shake and try to slow down the first run, when the hook pops loose. It happens. At least I hooked a fish. About 1/2 hour later, another hook-up and this one sticks. Nice hen about 25 pounds. Lots of good runs, fought it about 10 minutes. Have it just to the bank. You know the drill. It's in about 6 inches of water, fight is all but out of it. I actually thought to myself "Hey I finally got the stink off this rod". Just easing it up on shore.....when......

"CRACK"

Pop goes the rod. Standing in disbelief, I look at the rod and think (in a moment of blind optimism) "maybe the ferrules just came apart". Nope, busted. Now the still hooked fish is still in the shallows. Thinking swiftly, I lunge for the fish, miss it, it swims off. Thinking swiftly again, I grab the line that is zipping through my legs. It goes tight and "pop" off goes the fish.

Broken $150 rod, and no fish.

Had a back-up rod and and caught a few duskies later in the day, but it wasn't the same. Sent the rod off the Woodland Saturday.

Next time....

· Registered
1,007 Posts
I had that happen to me this spring on a fish. Cracked the rod while setting the hook. It was not a lami. I have a few and like them. The rod i was using had a nick on it. I must of scraped it or hit it on something. I think if you get a small scrape or crack, it can cause it to break. Not sure if thats what happend to you. But it did happent to me once. Im sure you know, but you can get it replaced for free. Good luck.

· Registered
5,708 Posts
We all know about their great return policy, but doesn't it seem like a lot of Lamis break?
Not looking to start an argument, just my observation.

· Registered
688 Posts
all rods can break i have (or i have had help) breaking 5 rods this year so fair

1 Breckly 15-50 one peace slammed in a door :argue:
1 breckly 8-12 spinning set up to big a fish on braided line :shrug:
1 custum lami fished that rod 3 yrs first fish snap
1 kunin rod not replaceable that sucks dad hads it to me :shrug:
1 lami one peace never used a kwick fish shot back at mach one :bowdown:

any rod that breaks hurts no matter your wallet size

· Registered
2,877 Posts
I must be doing something wrong....

I've never broke a rod. Stepped on one last year in the boat and snapped the tip off, but so far thats it.

· Registered
4,667 Posts
A very similar thing happened to me on the Wilson a few weeks ago. I'd fished that rod (9 foot Loomis GL2 Moocher) half a dozen times with no fish hooked. Finally hooked a 20 or so pound chinook on it, fought it to the bank and CRACK! :shocked: Broke about 2 to 3 feet from the tip. I was trying to land the fish w/out a net in a bad spot, so I can't be mad about the rod, but I'm still surprised. Never broke any other rod landing a fish before.

Fish got away too!:eek:

· Registered
4,557 Posts
I busted one today that makes 4 on the year :sick: :redface:

I have not busted a rod in years but this year has been a doosey! :depressed:

but the one today was my fault a big huge chum on a light rod in the current was a mistake I was asking to much of the rod. but the others where wierd :shrug:

· Banned
1,000 Posts
Any rod can break if you over stress it. That said, if a rod has a 10-30lb test rating and guys are using 50 lb braid, you have to understand, the rod will break before the line. I have tried to muscle fish on my SAR 1084 with 20 lb test and had to give in since either the line, or the rod, was gonna break with a nice 30 lb fall URB (and that was with a rod rated for test 10lbs heavier than the line I was using)!!! I know a lot of very good fisherman and very few have broken rods. High sticking, and general abuse of rods will lead to breaking way, way more often than a rod breaking because of manufacture defects!! I have never broken a rod, and I have been using a loomis IM6 1084 that I built in high school for 11 years. That rod has caught so many steelhead and silvers its rediculous!! All this coming from a guy who uses a Berkley IM7 10-20 lb test for his primary salmon rod!! (BTW, that rod has even caught a 7ft sturgeon on 12 lb test)...My dad has even been using his loomis IMX 1082(prone to breaking with any kind of abuse) for years without any problems. Not saying any one on IFISH hasn't had a rod break because it just let loose. But I really do think that operator error leads to 85% or broken rods...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.