IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November of 1982, on a real crappy day with a rising river, I was fishing by myself between 1st Bridge and Farmers when I hooked a Hawg. The chrome bright pig nearly turned me inside out for 40 minutes or so. Got him close a couple times, then finally in the basket! I knew it was the biggest Smiley I'd ever caught--turned out to be 54#'s!!!
What you say? I thought this thread was about the one that got away? Well it is...
Same hole, not 15 minutes later, I hooked into a log--or so I thought. Pretty soon the log began to swim right past me, and just kept going upstream. I had 30# Maxima Brown on (all I used to use), so I figure I can turn this fish--uh, no.
I got a look at it as it went up a riffle above me, but I was sure I was hallucinating.
I got out of my boat, and crawled through the brush to the next hole upstream, where the monster was taking a breather. I must have disturbed his sleep, cause when he woke up, he thrashed me for the next 1/2 hour--still hadn't got a real good look at it. Another 15 minutes of tug-o-war, and I'm easin' the pig to the surface... :shocked:
:bowdown: :shocked: I'm not kidding folks--the fish I had in the boat looked like a freakin' JACK compared to this BEHEMOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was on a 3-4' cut bank, with several feet of water below me, but I bailed in anyway. I left my net at the boat (probably wouldn't have fit anyway--my previous fish barely did) cause I didn't think I could fight the fish, weedwhack, and stay on my feet all while dragging a net.
I got that GIANT fish up next to me, realized I couldn't tail it (its tail was dang near as big as my calves) so I stuck my hand up into its gills, and actually got it up a bit before it went ballistic and beat the crap out of me before I dropped it. I caught my rod in mid-air (I'd tossed it on the cutbank when I gilled the beast), and fought it for another minute or two before I almost had it back up to my feet and SNAP!!!!!!!!! The pig layed there, just out of reach for the longest two seconds of my life, then gave me a bath as it regained its senses and lumbered off.
When I got back to the boat, I couldn't even row I was so jacked up. Had to sit there in the rain reliving both my greatest triumph, and most humbling defeat fishing--all within the span of an hour and a half or so. I didn't know whether to cry or scream with delight.
Folks, I aint kiddin' ya, that fish HAD to be 80#'s. I'll never forget it--no matter how hard I try!!!!! :depressed:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Great story! I wish I could say Ive been there done that but nothing even close for me. My biggest is a mear #43 :wink: but im not complaining it fought like a GIANT and was caught on one of my own personal spinners I made. Also on the Nestucca but not quite so long ago :grin:

Thanx for the story!

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Good story... a fish of a lifetime for sure :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts