IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
981 - 1000 of 1002 Posts

·
Registered
16,714 Posts

·
Registered
16,714 Posts
What if those elk are redistributed from their historic locations on public land?

What if wolves are causing that redistribution?

What if those elk are causing excessive depredation on private land?

What if wolves are following elk to private land and discovering easy meals in the form of cattle?

What if decreasing wolf populations to agreed upon levels encourages elk to spend more time away from private land?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Looking at the harvest stats your questions are spot on, increased harvest in the south on antlerless elk, most likely pushed there, made up the bulk of the increased harvest. Idaho is harvesting almost 50% antlerless, they will pay a price for this in the future.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
A lady posted a video on Facebook of a wolf stalking elk at the dean Creek viewing area. The internet is eating it up. Looks like a coyote to me.
Looked like a coyote to me too. I’ve seen lots of them out there over the years and this one didn’t look any different. Their commentary was hilariously dumb too.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Seems the rogue pack is having Ft.Klamath dinners again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wonder how many of those ranchers still ship their herds off to the Redding/RedBluff/Anderson area for winter like they used to.
Hopefully they're all still doing it and the pack's easy food source dries up.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
That's not possible, the ODFW says there are only 160 in the whole state. ;)
The published statement is that the minimum number of wolves in Oregon at the end of 2020 is 173.

The actual number will not ever be known with the decision to stop collaring each and every Wolf encountered in Oregon.

The continuing upward trend of the minimum population value is the relevant issue as Oregon’s trend line very closely matches that of Idaho, only shifted off by several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
OR103 is on or near my parents ranch in Northern CA. Between Yreka & Weed. He's killed 4 neighbors calves and injured one so bad it will probably need to be euthanized.

Very concerning considering we have 150+ baby calves on the ground right now.

He was collared in Bend this spring I think. He must have hitchhiked down 97.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OR103 is on or near my parents ranch in Northern CA. Between Yreka & Weed. He's killed 4 neighbors calves and injured one so bad it will probably need to be euthanized.

Very concerning considering we have 150+ baby calves on the ground right now.

He was collared in Bend this spring I think. He must have hitchhiked down 97.
Hopefully he becomes a blood smear on 97 soon.

Sorry to hear the wolf is causing that much damage.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have video of 10 wolves in the Desolation unit during 1st elk season. Spoke with the locals in Galena and there are several eyewitnesses that have seen another pack of 17 on a regular basis just a few miles away, on Big Creek. It seemed odd to me that two packs would be that close in proximity. Needless to say there were no elk to be found. We only saw one bull hanging out of the 20 camps in the outlying area. Sad days for our elk herd.
BTW, I did send the video in to ODFW.....no response.

981 - 1000 of 1002 Posts