IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
961 - 980 of 1002 Posts

·
Registered
10,964 Posts

"The law also expands the way wolves can be hunted and killed. Those methods include: chasing down wolves on snowmobiles and ATVs and shooting them from helicopters"

Sounds like Mad Max on the wolves is coming
As compared to the state of Oregon that'll just issue more deer and elk tags to offset the problem

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
So...are we still in favor of letting fish and wildlife departments make decisions like this, or do we want special interest groups to hold sway? I forgot which I was supposed to support.
I don’t know who the we is you are talking about, but the fish and wildlife department in Idaho clearly messed up along with Montana with respect to wolves. The populations are clearly out of control in both states. I’d rather elected people who are accountable to the voters make the decision.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Reading about Idaho’s plans to kill 90% of their wolves is so disturbing to me,, both as a biologist and as a big game hunter.

For the record I have literally lived right in wolf territory and during my hikes, hunting and field trips been crossing and criss-cossing their tracks and trails constantly.

I have followed their tracks leaving the national forest and seen where they were going to “dine” on cattle. About this there is no doubt.

I have also watched where I once lived in Southeast Wyoming,,,with no wolves, go from 0% Chronic Wasting Disease in deer to 43% when I last checked.

All CWD will do is spread and get worse. There is no cure. I also lived in Northwest Wyoming with lots of wolves and for the longest time 0% CWD. That is changing,,as more wolves ae being hunted.

The opportunity for field biologists to study wolf/CWD realtionships has really just been possible over the past decade or two.

The results have continuously concluded that wolves example a control in stopping or at least slowing CWD.

In Wyoming the maps of where CWD is and where wolves are show a near total absence of CDW where wolves are.

The charges that wolves carry CWD and spread it are misleading. Wolves and coyotes,,,and lions actually condense CWD by killing those infected at the earliest possible stage are are taking CWD prions out of the herd. A good thing. CWD prions do collect in the droppings and urine, but prey animals are repelled not attracted to predators waste.

Idaho has CWD in three bordering states,,Montana, Wyoming, and Utah, and as yet has no CWD but does have lots of wolves.

By both Inductive and Deductive reasoning the presence of wolves strongly suggests their role in holding back CWD,,,which all studies are now strogly supporting.

There is no cure for CWD, all it does is spread and get worse and looming out there is the reasonable possibility that CWD prions will “jump” to cattle or even people.

One of the accepted causes for the extinction of Neanderthal Man was prion based diseases.

Killing all those wolves in Idaho could easily allow CWD to spread there and then to the PNW which now has no CWD.

Idaho’s plans to kill 90% of it’s wolves speaks of future disaster.

Colorado with no wolves has CWD spread over the entire state.

Cooking does not kill the CWD Prions. They can exist for years in the ground, They are spread by plant uptake too,

For Idaho to kill 90% of it’s wolves is simply wreckless at the least.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Wolves saving the world again.

Quick google search showed several hypothesis on why the Neanderthals went extinct, truth is (I know it's a pesky thing) that no one knows why.

As a resident of Idaho, I am glad to see were taking proactive measures to ensure that we have plenty of game animals for the public, after 20 years in Oregon, it's nice to see.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Idaho originally had a minimum population objective of 150 wolves.

When fish and game state “minimum population”, that means there are that many individual animals they counted. Due to the nature of wolves they know there are more, the confirmed separate animals observed are the “minimum population”.

How would getting the wolf population to the “minimum population” levels that were determined to be a healthy number make them an endangered species?

Oregon’s mule deer units are at half the population objective in lots of units.

Are Oregon mule deer an endangered species?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
It's interesting to note the state of Idaho, as a whole, has enjoyed fantastic elk harvest over the past decade, a near historic record. In fact, the statewide elk population is also near an all time high. Hard to say the out of control wolves are taking away hunter opportunity, overall.

Hunter harvest was up for elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer in 2020 seasons | Idaho Fish and Game

"The 2020 elk season marked the seventh straight year that Idaho hunters harvested more than 20,000 animals, and the current stretch of stellar elk harvests is inching closer to claiming the title of “best of all time.”

Dating back to 1935, only one nine-year period ranks higher, which started in 1988 – the first year that Idaho hunters had ever harvested more than 20,000 elk – and ran through the mid-1990s."

I could see more aggressive wolf targeting in areas of interest where herds are below MO and wolf predation has been an observed cause.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
"For Idaho to kill 90% of it’s wolves is simply wreckless at the least".

Wish it were 100% and right along with MT, WA. and OR. They should never have been reintroduced in the first place !!
🤮

Hunters: The shining pillar of (huntable game only) conservation, the northern star of anti environmental beliefs, the cornerstone of science denial, still barely hanging on as the drivers of wildlife management. Masters of obliviously digging their own grave.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
It's interesting to note the state of Idaho, as a whole, has enjoyed fantastic elk harvest over the past decade, a near historic record. In fact, the statewide elk population is also near an all time high. Hard to say the out of control wolves are taking away hunter opportunity, overall.

Hunter harvest was up for elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer in 2020 seasons | Idaho Fish and Game

"The 2020 elk season marked the seventh straight year that Idaho hunters harvested more than 20,000 animals, and the current stretch of stellar elk harvests is inching closer to claiming the title of “best of all time.”

Dating back to 1935, only one nine-year period ranks higher, which started in 1988 – the first year that Idaho hunters had ever harvested more than 20,000 elk – and ran through the mid-1990s."

I could see more aggressive wolf targeting in areas of interest where herds are below MO and wolf predation has been an observed cause.

One thing to keep in mind is there are significantly more resident hunters now in Idaho.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Hunters: The shining pillar of (huntable game only) conservation, the northern star of anti environmental beliefs, the cornerstone of science denial, still barely hanging on as the drivers of wildlife management. Masters of obliviously digging their own grave.
Ever listened to Valerius Geist?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

What if those elk are redistributed from their historic locations on public land?

What if wolves are causing that redistribution?

What if those elk are causing excessive depredation on private land?

What if wolves are following elk to private land and discovering easy meals in the form of cattle?

What if decreasing wolf populations to agreed upon levels encourages elk to spend more time away from private land?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Kinda sucks, but this didn't do any favors for the "optics" of the issue.

I'm all for reducing wolf numbers, but I feel like that needs to be taken care of better. Otherwise you get the statements like "It’s hard to see any justification other than ODFW wanted to kill some wolves, and all they could find was some three-month-old puppies..." and "ODFW has just joined the ranks of Idaho, Wyoming and Wisconsin in demonstrating why they are unfit to manage endangered wildlife in an ethical manner". Seems to me ODFW should go out of their way to reduce the possibility of giving control to Kate Brown or the "informed" voters to handle wildlife management issues.

This is just slightly better in the view of the public than what happened in Wisconsin.

On another note. a buddy of mine got a pretty cool video of a collared wolf while scouting Sled Springs for archery elk in June.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Unfortunately there are no options for reducing the wolf numbers that would be “good optics”.

I do not think you’ll ever see any of these activist groups have a positive press release after any war has been killed.

They do their fundraising and make all of their money fighting against any management of those animals.

961 - 980 of 1002 Posts