IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Stabicraft could take a bullet and keep floating. Unsinkable
Lots of people on here touting the wonders of the stabicraft. ACB made similar craft, OOB in 2010, too bad.

Both these boats seem to give up alot of room for the chambers down the sides, and have a pretty small dance floor for their size. Still very cool boats, but the compromise with these to me is space.

Truth is, number of sinkings I am aware of due to an actual hull failure is very, very, very low. And the number of swampings/capsizings/sinkings where an unsinkable boat meant the difference between life and death? I haven't seen, heard, or read about one. I'm sure they happen, but it's not common. Even a really crappy hull will usually take alot more abuse than the contents and the stuff you have put in and on it. Fiberglass is strong. So is aluminum.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Man those Stabi's are pretty nice! Watching some youtube on them...My only question would be in regards to deck space. Seems a little cramped...I'd be tempted to trade my 20ft Raider for one.
I fished on a 2750 walk around a couple times. The boat is sweet, the deck space and cabin space is small compared to other 27’ boats but you can walk 360 around it easily so you actually have more deck space if you figure that’s deck space. Imagine having kill bags taking up space by the cabin instead of the deck. The one thing I noticed most about it was how badly it smacked the water driving through chop and how loud it was. Besides the ride I liked everything about the boat. That boat had a large fish hold but most of the smaller models don’t have a floor fish box. Which is another negative.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Lots of people on here touting the wonders of the stabicraft. ACB made similar craft, OOB in 2010, too bad.

Both these boats seem to give up alot of room for the chambers down the sides, and have a pretty small dance floor for their size. Still very cool boats, but the compromise with these to me is space.

Truth is, number of sinkings I am aware of due to an actual hull failure is very, very, very low. And the number of swampings/capsizings/sinkings where an unsinkable boat meant the difference between life and death? I haven't seen, heard, or read about one. I'm sure they happen, but it's not common. Even a really crappy hull will usually take alot more abuse than the contents and the stuff you have put in and on it. Fiberglass is strong. So is aluminum.
My dads trophy’s glass hull split on a nice calm summer day on the ocean and sunk like a rock. It happens but you’re correct it is rare.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
And concern for ride quality or comfort?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very common boat in CA, but I never saw one upside down. Saw many, many airborn, but right side up.
Kurt you forgot about Khanh or you might have already moved North..he flipped it trying to pull a stuck pot loose when his crew decided to go to the stem with him and watch …a passing boat rescued them after they sat on the upside down hull for an hour or so (flat calm ocean ). The next day a commercial boat found the hull a few miles out..it was towed to shore..insurance wrote it off and Khanh gave it to Little Ronnie..he fished it for many years and sold it a few months ago.
BTW I had STORMY C filled up to the gunnels with water doing a rescue on Tomales Bar ..the engine kept running so we pulled the plug and eventually it drained !Kind if like the Tuna Trip From Hell

·
Registered
188 Posts
When mooring in the rain, the Boston whalers I believe 18’ and smaller your supposed To take the drain plug out if you don’t have a bilge pump. I’ve tried it and the water only fills in a couple inches the near the stern. No plug = still afloat

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Kurt you forgot about Khanh or you might have already moved North..he flipped it trying to pull a stuck pot loose when his crew decided to go to the stem with him and watch …a passing boat rescued them after they sat on the upside down hull for an hour or so (flat calm ocean ). The next day a commercial boat found the hull a few miles out..it was towed to shore..insurance wrote it off and Khanh gave it to Little Ronnie..he fished it for many years and sold it a few months ago.
BTW I had STORMY C filled up to the gunnels with water doing a rescue on Tomales Bar ..the engine kept running so we pulled the plug and eventually it drained !Kind if like the Tuna Trip From Hell
That's right, Back Brace did capsize after I left. I woulda bought that boat off Ronnie, if he was still talking to me.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
What kind of boat was the S.S. Minnow? She didn’t sink despite a big hole in the hull.

• Haha
Reactions: Don G Baldi

·
Registered
Stabicraft 2250 UCC OS "Gypsy Davie"
420 Posts
Another vote for Stabicraft, and not just because I own one. Yes they will fish all day without the plug in, I know. You can fill them completely with water, a fill load and passenger's, and they will not sink, and more importantly, stay right side up, haven't done it but I've seen videos. They are also designed to land tail first and lay down gently after being airborne rather than nosing in or slamming the belly or stern, I know, I've had her 15' in the air.

American chamber boats had a contract with Stabicraft to make their boats in the states, ACB screwed Stabi over, stole their plans and started making their "own" boats. Stabi sued them into nonexistence.
The modern stabi designs incorporate the walk around into the pontoons so you lose less room to what they call the "life ring"
I'm over the moon happy with mine. Meet up and I'll let you drive her sometime, that'll give you better insight than anything I can type on here.
Tire Plant Boat Watercraft Wheel

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Another vote for Stabicraft, and not just because I own one. Yes they will fish all day without the plug in, I know. You can fill them completely with water, a fill load and passenger's, and they will not sink, and more importantly, stay right side up, haven't done it but I've seen videos. They are also designed to land tail first and lay down gently after being airborne rather than nosing in or slamming the belly or stern, I know, I've had her 15' in the air.

American chamber boats had a contract with Stabicraft to make their boats in the states, ACB screwed Stabi over, stole their plans and started making their "own" boats. Stabi sued them into nonexistence.
The modern stabi designs incorporate the walk around into the pontoons so you lose less room to what they call the "life ring"
I'm over the moon happy with mine. Meet up and I'll let you drive her sometime, that'll give you better insight than anything I can type on here. View attachment 986393
Looks like quite the boat! Perfect size from what I can tell. Did you buy new? Doesn't seem to be many in that size in the used market. I'd love to give her a whirl sometime. I think you are south coast, right? My boat is out of Reedsport. Will be there this weekend fishing out of Coos Saturday I believe.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts